Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
wbs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 256
Default rust in tank

hello read past ford barn threads on this subject- i am thinking of trying electrolysis
1. but instead of just 1 central electrode-3 electrodes , 1 in center and 1 in each baffle
2. does anyone have a cross section picture of a tank so i ca see where to locate the the 2 baffle electrodes?
3. i thoughgt that i would dril 3/4" holes in the area of baffles and put the electrode thru the holes and give it a try if i can find out where the baffle areas are--plus to electrodes and negaive to the tank
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Bob C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,360
Default Re: rust in tank

Brent posted some. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2829GasTank.jpg (94.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg tank1.jpg (52.7 KB, 90 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 381
Default Re: rust in tank

Hallo Bob,
I know, it's not exactly the topic. But I notice the baffles in the pictures. There are none in the tank of my '28 and I do not see any old sweat marks where they could have sat.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Honda CB 450 K 1, 1968
Hercules Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
chrs1961815
Senior Member
 
chrs1961815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Spring Grove, Illinois
Posts: 431
Default Re: rust in tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Hallo Bob,
I know, it's not exactly the topic. But I notice the baffles in the pictures. There are none in the tank of my '28 and I do not see any old sweat marks where they could have sat.
Perhaps (this is not based on anything) it could be some kind of version of an early tank then they put baffles in? Does anybody know this?

I have no experience with electrolysis but have heard good things about it. For something like the gas tank, it is not a bad idea as the only way to get it completely clean is to cut it open which many don't want to do for good reason. Furthermore, I have had heard stories of the backyard mechanics ruining good tanks by blasting sand into them, which can warp the sheet metal and you will probably never get all the sand out.
__________________
"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 8,890
Default Re: rust in tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Perhaps (this is not based on anything) it could be some kind of version of an early tank then they put baffles in? Does anybody know this?

I have no experience with electrolysis but have heard good things about it. For something like the gas tank, it is not a bad idea as the only way to get it completely clean is to cut it open which many don't want to do for good reason. Furthermore, I have had heard stories of the backyard mechanics ruining good tanks by blasting sand into them, which can warp the sheet metal and you will probably never get all the sand out.
I have factory prints for all US tanks. All the prints I have seen in the assembly drawings show baffles.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
wbs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 256
Default Re: rust in tank

thank you very much to all who replied---the pictures were surprising- there are actually 5 compartments-it looks like it would take 5 electrodes---but a 3/4" hole is very easy to plug and weld--don't have to be expert welder-- if i give it a try, i'll let u know results---i even tought about using a fiberoptic device which allows wide angle viewing thru small hole, tho i dont know where i could get such a device
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
Ruth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Glide, Oregon
Posts: 268
Default Re: rust in tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
thank you very much to all who replied---the pictures were surprising- there are actually 5 compartments-it looks like it would take 5 electrodes---but a 3/4" hole is very easy to plug and weld--don't have to be expert welder-- if i give it a try, i'll let u know results---i even tought about using a fiberoptic device which allows wide angle viewing thru small hole, tho i dont know where i could get such a device
They have relatively inexpensive endoscopes now that connect to your smart phone via Wi-Fi. I have one like this and it works pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
whirnot
Senior Member
 
whirnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 868
Default Re: rust in tank

Make sure it is just rust. I got a surprise when I soaked my tank in evaporust for weeks and it barely touched it.
When rinsing it out with the power washer I hit it hard enough to lift the tank sealer that had been applied over the rust. Could not even see it. Still working on that one......
__________________
Bill Worden

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.