Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Shippiing a Model A

I have been looking for a recent restoration of a Victoria for months close to my house here in Florida without success. I have restored three Model As in the past and have come to the conclusion that I want to be in this car not under it! I have seen several cars that do look very nice (correct colors, detailed restorations) but are several hundred miles away. I am trying to decide if it makes sense to drive the car back to Florida or have it shipped. I have inquired as to expected shipping costs and I can tell right from the start that it is a "jungle out there" when it comes to shipping a car! Prices are thrown around and very little information is provided.

I am retired and have the time but it means driving a car that you don't know its capabilities. Yet, I have read in Model A News of people that have driven across the country in both directions. Maybe you bring your tools and spare parts and push ahead. If you wanted to purchase a car that was 1400 miles away what would you do? Thanks for your comments. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Shippiing a Model A

Have it shipped by Truly Vintage. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

What would I do?? I would probably drive it but then again, I know what my capabilities are. If you are going to drive it with the anticipation that you can save money, -my thoughts are that it will cost WAY more to drive than to ship. This is especially so if you find yourself in trouble along the way requiring extra lodging, repairs, or transportation.

The next thing you need to consider is just 'who' did the restoration, --and what was their idea of restoration?? A beautiful car with a rusty gas tank will be a beautiful car sitting on the side of the road. That same mindset applies to brakes, steering, and other things mechanical.

My experiences are that I see quite a few Model-As that are allegedly restored and then purchased off of eBay or a social media site. After a month or so of frustration because it won't start, stop, or steer reliably, the new hobbyist is ready to get out of the hobby because their new purchase performs so poorly. Generally it always boils back to the owner was looking for ways to cut expenses and the "it'll be good enough" syndrome plays out.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Yet, I have read in Model A News of people that have driven across the country in both directions. Maybe you bring your tools and spare parts and push ahead.

If you need a little inspiration, the late Rainmaker Ron did so about 20 years ago however he was able to find a car that was unmessed with (-a/k/a: NOT been Restored!). That makes a huge difference in my mind.

Go read about his trip on Vince's site;

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/sleepingbeauty.htm

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Dean Lemoine

What would I do? I'd make a vacation out of it. Drive to where the car is and take a look. If you decide to buy it, rent a trailer and bring her home.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine View Post
What would I do? I'd make a vacation out of it. Drive to where the car is and take a look. If you decide to buy it, rent a trailer and bring her home.
This.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Mulletwagon

Also retired in FL. I recently brought a Tudor home from NC on a U-Haul vehicle transporter behind an Expedition. Tracked great and it was 70 all the way home.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Slotblog

Drive it!!!

I bought my Tudor in Oregon and drove it back to Atlanta, a distance of 3,000 miles. With a cellphone, a club roster, and access to the Ford Barn, there's not much that can happen that you can't fix en route or that the great people in this hobby won't help you to repair. What's the worst that can happen? You have to have it trailered the rest of the way home.

Heck, pay my costs and I'll drive it home for you.

http://slotblog.net/topic/60001-trip...club-magazine/
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
jm29henry

Drive it,go for it, and enjoy the experience of a live time!!!! Best of luck to you
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
whirnot

I just finished doing this last week. I purchased a CCPU in Ohio and had it shipped to Oregon. The cost of shipping was just about equal to what my gas would have cost.
If I added Motels and other expenses it would have been 50% more to haul myself.

Now a disclaimer, it is a driver and I was comfortable shipping it on open carrier.
A closed carrier would have cost just about the same as getting it myself. I saved 9 days of hard driving.
I used a Broker called Amerifreight out of Peachtree Ga.
I was happy with the way it went.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
BillCNC

Like mentioned before, ... Go look at it and if you like it rent a U-Haul flat bed trailer and bring her home yourself.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
Bill Cal.

How old are you? Please show us a picture of the victoria Where is it? Would you be traveling alone? Should like a great way to bond with your victoria. Go for it. Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
ronn

At 59 yrs old, I would pay a shipper on open transport, as mentioned above.

It will cost you more to drive it and find the "worms" that need to be repaired.

You can do that at home.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #14
Slotblog

Guys,

Ed said he's looking at cars "several hundred miles away," which suggests that there wouldn't be any significant hotel costs (unlike my trek from Georgia to Oregon then back to Georgia!).

When we got to Oregon, I drove the car around for a day, then serviced it before heading out. Had to tighten one wheel bearing to take some play out of the steering. Only real problem was a leaking water pump seal (and a Ford Barn member in the town where we stopped for the night bailed me out with some new seals gratis). This was a car that had been restored 40-45 years previously and had only been driven 1,538 miles since then.

The link I gave in post #8 has the abstracted story from the Antique Automobile as well as the daily trip blog of everything that happened for the entire trip.

BTW, I was 60 when I made the trip in 2014 and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life. Doesn't anyone have the spirit of adventure anymore? LOL...

Ed, my offer still stands!

Last edited by Slotblog; 05-21-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #15
desotoguy

If you are unsure of driving the car or a shipper to get the car home, I suggest you and someone else drive to inspect and purchase the car personally. Then you can rent a u-haul truck and trailer to bring the car home. Once you pay for it, the car will be in your possession and care.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
ronn

BTW, I was 60 when I made the trip in 2014 and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life. Doesn't anyone have the spirit of adventure anymore? LOL...

Ive traveled all over the world. Have no interest in breaking down hundreds of miles away from home in an A.

good on you.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
Slotblog

Ronn, fair enough.

My point is this: via the internet and cellphones, the old car hobby is so well-connected these days all you have to do is let people know you're having trouble and people will fall out of the trees to assist. I've seen in many times.

I am much more worried in the backwoods on long-distance hiking trips as there isn't a support system in those areas. Not to mention the worry and fear that commuting in Atlanta traffic engenders nowadays.

Many seemingly feel Models A are unreliable largely because they're old and that's not been my experience, assuming, as Brent mentioned, some ham-fisted guy who shouldn't be allowed to own tools hasn't had his way with the car.

Last edited by Slotblog; 05-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
chap52

I was blessed that I bought my 30 Tudor "sight unseen" in Virginia and had it shipped to Arizona on an open carrier. $1000. Picked up in VA on Friday morning and delivered to my door near Tucson AZ on Sunday morning.
Great car, great service.
Don't have the shipper info handy. Just to say, it can be a good adventure. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
katy

I'm mixed up, Ed in Maine says: "my house here in Florida "
Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
Ed in Maine

When I started out visiting Ford Barn I was in Maine, now its Florida. It was all my wife's idea, Boo Hoo, now its in the 90s and very humid. The local news this morning cautioned everyone that it is alligator mating season and to be especially careful in the evening! I guess it is best to go out to lunch and not out to dinner or you could be on the menu! I hope this clears things up, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote