Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Standing Elk

Default Reproduction wheels

Are the reproduction wire wheels quality or junk? Thanks
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Reproduction wheels

Quality.

(won't pass fine point)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Synchro909

Unless they have dramatically improved in the last few years (they may have), they are junk. A friend bought a set and in the 2,000 miles trip to a National Rally, they were so cracked he sent his car home on a train.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
chrs1961815

You didn't ask this, but my two cents is that reproduction wheels are expensive and there is no need to buy them when there are plenty of originals to go around.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have not heard of any failure issue with the new wheels. My experience is there is NOT enough good ones out there that don't require straightening and bodywork. When you factor in the time (-expense) required to straighten a wheel and/or the time to bodywork & paint a wheel, you quickly realize the new wheel is a great option.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
Benson

Default Re: Reproduction wheels-Also AA truck HUBs caution-HUB replacement

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Unless they have dramatically improved in the last few years (they may have), they are junk. A friend bought a set and in the 2,000 miles trip to a National Rally, they were so cracked he sent his car home on a train.

Posted mainly for those who may not know this...

Maybe the wheels were later ones, which the repro wheels are, and the hubs and drums were early 1928 type?

This can crack wheels.

NOTE: Doing the opposite ie putting early wheels on new hubs is also a bad idea.

See Service Bulletin page 328.

On a side note if you have an AA truck and are replacing front hub see SERVICE Bulletin 347.

When replacing old style forged front hub with new pressed steel hub you must also replace old style oil baffle and a bolt with correct parts.

Last edited by Benson; 08-02-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add AA truck HUBS- reference to title of post
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Dave in MN

The new wheels are pretty durable and they spin pretty true. I have used a set of 6 new wheels for about 80,000 miles. The wheels I purchased were only out for about a year when I purchased them so they were early in the production of them. I don't know if they have made any changes in the manufacturing process since I purchased mine. I did have two crack at the center hub area just like the originals often do. I attribute the cracks to a near accident when a driver missed a stop sign. To avoid a collision, I made a direction change while locking up the brakes which resulted in a sideways slide. Both wheels on the forward side of the car during the slide developed cracks. I discovered one right away and sent it back to the vendor and they promptly replaced it at no charge. The second one was less obvious and took another 2 years to become very visible. I contacted the vendor about the second one and they would have taken it back (after 4 years) but I never did return it. Why...The wheels were powder coated and after re-powder coating the first replacement wheel, I did not have enough powder to complete the second. It is in one of two spare positions on my Phaeton and I have never needed it. If I did, the crack is not that bad and would serve to get me home.
I would purchase them again if I needed a set.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Synchro909

Default Re: Reproduction wheels-Also AA truck HUBs caution-HUB replacement

[QUOTE=Benson;1783242]Posted mainly for those who may not know this...

Maybe the wheels were later ones, which the repro wheels are, and the hubs and drums were early 1928 type?

They were the later style wheels on a "31.