Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
fordson

Exclamation Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

Took my original 34 front and rear leaf spring to a professional leaf spring repair workshop in South Africa!
They reversed the eyes on both main leaves.
However the front and rear leaf main springs are now a little shorter and the eyes are somewhat offset!!! Now is that normal ? What went wrong ? The spring looked good when it came back, all professionally done.
No-one here has experience with reversing the eye of a leaf spring and installing it.
Anyone for advice on what we are doing wrong!
I wonder if we havent messed it up now and if i have to install stock springs again.
Sounds all easier than it is😔
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
fordson

Post Re: Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

Trying to post some photos!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

It is really hard to picture what you're saying??? How can the spring be shorter if it was made from the same original leaf? Did they make you new ones? Also, include some pictures of the "offset" problem - can't imagine what you're trying to convey?

And as I finished my post . . . poooooooof, the showed up!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

If it was mine, I'd take it back to them and have them fix the problems they created. This should be standard stuff . . . that spring shops have been doing forever.

I can understand the rear spring giving them some head scratching (giving the goofy Ford curve), but the front is super simple . . . they must have some issues they need to attend too.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
john in illinois

John
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
fordson

Exactly, same question i asked myself since we gave them the original stock springs which they disassembled, reversed the eyes on the main leaves and reassembled again.
The company said they can do nothing about it, but i dont understand the difference in length and offset eyehole either.
So you would think it a problem in the workprocess of leaf alteration?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Joe K

Very much a manual process. You heat up the eye, unroll it while trying to keep it straight, heat up again, and re-roll in a bender - and finish off manually to get the proper eye size.

One might even trim the curled end a bit to get it to "come together."

Very much fraught with places to go wrong, or places where errors can creep in.

A good spring shop knows about the errors - and the corrections - and does these intuitively along the way. Not so good shops don't care so much.

I would speak to another shop if you have one available. They might correct the issue quickly - but then they might defer. Each heating results in "grain-growth" which alters the chemistry of the spring and eventually make the results brittle or soft - either of which condemns the spring. Spring changes are limited and commonly once only.

You may be at the point where you have to spring the bucks to get a reverse-eye'ed spring from a reproducer. But let the better shop tell you that.

Joe K
Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have had it done many times with no issue, this is the spring shops problem. Do they have the ability to make a new one (with new material)? I agree with going to another shop if possible, but there are normally not that many around. Next step would be to get them to make a new one, even if it cost some extra. They should recognize that the one they worked on for you is not usable.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
fordson

Thank you all for the reply!
What are my alternatives?
The Posies 34 reversed eye rear leaf spring is an option, but its so darn expensive and i would have to ship it to South Africa. Besides not really traditional. I wanted to use original parts in a traditional way, now my original set springs is gone and from your reply i realise that the work was not done accurately and i cannot install the springs.
Its obviously not normal!
Isnt there a possibility of aquiring a correct fitting 34 reverse eye main leaf and fitting it to the rest of the leaves? I was told nobody makes singles anymore in the USA and i doubt i want anyone in South Africa dealing with this again.
There must be guys who can do correct reverse eyes to stock main leaves.
Thanks Randolf
Old 08-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Any spring shop can do one, you just had a bad experience with the one you used. If you can come up with another main spring leaf you can reverse them yourself with a little effort, no heat involved.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
john in illinois

Eaton spring makes springs to factory blueprint and custom springs but you would still have cost plus shipping.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/leaf-springs/

John
Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
woodiewagon46

My guess is that they cut off the original eyes and rolled new ones. That offset isn't going to work with your shackles.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson View Post
Thank you all for the reply!
What are my alternatives?
The Posies 34 reversed eye rear leaf spring is an option, but its so darn expensive and i would have to ship it to South Africa. Besides not really traditional. I wanted to use original parts in a traditional way, now my original set springs is gone and from your reply i realise that the work was not done accurately and i cannot install the springs.
Its obviously not normal!
Isnt there a possibility of aquiring a correct fitting 34 reverse eye main leaf and fitting it to the rest of the leaves? I was told nobody makes singles anymore in the USA and i doubt i want anyone in South Africa dealing with this again.
There must be guys who can do correct reverse eyes to stock main leaves.
Thanks Randolf
I've found just the single eyed leaf spring on Amazon for $40 . It was for my 34 front .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson View Post
Trying to post some photos!
Take a square to the leaf spring and the bolts . It'll show them the amount of angle
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Brian

Looks to me as though they have cut the ends off and welded new ends on. Looks like a weld just inboard of the eyes in all your photos. Totally wrong!!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

It is hard to tell from pictures what is going on. My '32-'34 spring looks like the eyes are perpendicular to the spring leaf. There is a slight angle on the spring hanger that is part of the axle. I think what you are trying to show is too much angle. I am wondering if your hangar has been modified? Another bit of trivia. When you reverse the eyes you do it by reshaping the main leaf and turning it over. The eyes are not modified. See this thread on HAMB: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...g-eyes.225377/

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That's what I was referring to as the non-heat method. A spring shop would most likely heat the ends, straighten them & reroll them.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
Andy

It looks like you posted pics of the rear spring.
I can't imagine actually rerolling the eyes. The shackle has to fit perfectly and the original eye had a tapered end to the roll. All the springs I have seen were reversed by reverse bending the leaf arc. Simple.
The rear spring looks fine to me.The shackle is supposed to be sguare to the spring. The spring hangers are canted to accomadate the angled spring.The spring should be a little shorter in the real world as originally the eyes were angled in at the bottom and with a reversed spring, they angle out. This lenghens the spring.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Andy, spring shops have the tools to make the eyes, like a mandrel. I have had a number of them made. Piece of cake if the shop knows what it is doing.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

,they heat the spring to below red then press it at 2"intervals until it curves the other way ,I would be asking for new replacements.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Andy, spring shops have the tools to make the eyes, like a mandrel. I have had a number of them made. Piece of cake if the shop knows what it is doing.
I have had them made as well. The problem I was worried about was the scarf at the end of the eye where it wraps around to form a complete eye. I guess they could bend that flat and then get it to reform in the other direction.
Tricky
I hope the OP's spring is actually fine
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The end of the spring material is beveled before it is rolled into shape. It is a very nice tight fit, most of the guys are good at what they do. I have never watched the actual heating and bending process, so not sure what type of equipment they use. But, I have always been happy with the results and the price. The last 33 Ford front main spring I had made took less than 24 hrs and cost $25.

Just looked up and watched a video of how the eyes are rolled. It is a fairly quick procedure, interesting. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VRDGAR

The eye forming parts is between 1:50 and 2:10.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #23
PeteVS

There was an article about this situation a couple of years back in one of the hot rod magazines at the time. The easiest way I can think of explaining it is that the ends of the leaves are not horizontal. They come down from the center and have a very distinct angle from horizontal at the end. The unmodified spring, at it's free state, has the eyes at the bottom and, due to the angle, they are a little bit inboard of the ends of the "straight" portion of the spring. If the spring is reformed so that the eyes are at the top, they will now be a little bit outboard of the "straight" portion of the leaf. If the eyes are 3/4" ID and the leaf is 1/4" thick and the angle of the "straight" portion of the leaf is 30º from horizontal, the eye could each be 1/2" outboard of where it was before the spring was reformed. If this makes sense to you could you explain it to me???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reversed eye.JPG (32.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by PeteVS; 08-25-2019 at 07:11 AM.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #24
RocketsGarage

Randolf, Nice chatting with you today. I'd say first thing is contact the spring shop and find out what exactly they did. If they cut the eye off and welded it back on, DO NOT USE IT! If they cut the eyes off and re-rolled new ones the spring is going to be way to short. They should have heated the spring in a forge, flipped it with a press method & re-tempered it. The stock rear '32-'34 spring is curved & the spring eyes are not square. The rear axle spring hangers are also angled to match the spring. If they do not match then the spring shop did something incorrectly. Hope some of this helps. Talk to you soon.

Riley
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #25
fordson

Wow, so much Info and help,
thanks everybody👍
Riley: thats exactly what iam going to do, find out what exactly the did!!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #26
19Fordy

I always thought that spring eyes were reversed by carefully re-arcing the main leaf in the opposite direction without reforming the spring eyes. Like this:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...g-eyes.225377/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I always thought that spring eyes were reversed by carefully re-arcing the main leaf in the opposite direction without reforming the spring eyes. Like this:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...g-eyes.225377/
Fordy, that link was already posted in this thread (#16), not that posting it again hurts anything, lot of interesting information. There is a difference between what a spring shop does and what you do in your garage. But I have to confess, I have never watched the actual work being performed in the shops! And, I have never had an existing spring reversed!! I just have them make new main spring to my dimensions. Cheap, quick and new. The last one I had made was for a 33 front axle and cost around $25. That was around 4 years ago. One thing that might impact cost is the heat (fuel) involved. I always waited until they had a batch to run so the fuel cost was spread across a number of jobs. They run them often enough that it was normally only a 24 hr thing, versus while you wait.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #28
19Fordy

Oops! I should have read all the previous posts. Thanks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Oops! I should have read all the previous posts. Thanks.
It's really an interesting thread and the first reference was somewhat buried in the post, so might be good it was reposted for anyone that is interested.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #30
B-O-B

I made a little bench top press & did mine. Used my porta-power
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5056.jpg (49.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by B-O-B; 08-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #31
fordson

I spoke to the spring shop today and i have to say they did well, they tried their best, no welds, no recoiling, just flipping the main leaf over with heating and bench press and keeping the eye as is. They are the best in the area and in the trade for a long time. Quite upset about my questions, giving the impression to the world theres a bunch of backward honks that have just discovered the wheel.

That never was my intention, the issues are there and it just shows, the devil is in the detail and experience, experience. A tradition in the US, a novum for South Africa. If i would have known, what i know now from this thread, l would have given better instructions or maybe have decided completely different on where to have it done, if at all.

Still today people are begging me not to do this, i mean dropped axle and reverse eye spring and to return from the dark side ... but its in my mind..grinning
Now its like " we told you"!

Anyhow, the spring hangers on the rear axle are untampered with and have the correct angle, the rear springeye hooks in to the shackle bolt on one side and is 5-7mm short to the other side. Due to the angle the spring can only fit this one way. Of course there could be many reasons, maybe thats within a tolerable margin, one could discuss this endlessly.

I asked my builder to dissassemble the pack and try to hook the main leave in. He said that was a lot more difficult in theory than in practice.

We asked for a reheating of the one eye to give it just that more length but they adamantly refused, because of the fatigue and brittleness it will cause with possible fracture. There are safety issues and worries - understandable, its not like in the US and i have to accept that... and it made me think!!

I have a rumble seat, so there is additional load in the back and its questionable if the 80 year old stock spring with reversed eye could handle that additional load. Maybe its better that way and i should think more about safety than anything else.
The idea of a traditional build using only original parts is naive when you dont have the knowhow or only a book to go by, unless you have a few Vern Tardels in your neighbourhood, and original parts readily available.

The front spring actually fits, but is very close to the dog-bone shock link on one side -
will opt for bolt on Eaton or Posies reverse eye springs, also for safety reasons.
Thanks all for the help and information.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #33
Tinker

Never weld a spring or heat bend... on any spring metal. Yikes!!! (maybe when cutting a coil off a later 50s front end, big coil springs)

They might have gave it a bit more arch when reversing it making it shorter some and also adding height. You could have them Flatten it a bit since you are doing this to lower the car.

There was a how-too thread on the HAMB many moons ago about reversing a spring. First thing you did was use some chalk on the garage floor and outline the arch of the main spring... oops I see it's posted above. Also what Pete said.

Installing a reverse eye is more funner too

Last edited by Tinker; 08-21-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #34
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
[I]
Installing a reverse eye is more funner too.
I just made up a spreader for reversed eye springs, mainly for an 'A' rear but I don't know how it would work for a spring not centered (front and back) over the axle.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266539
Old 08-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #35
thequietwon

I think your spring is fine. I have reversed several 32-34 front and rear springs for my cars. I do all mine cold as mentioned above. Lay the spring on the floor, mark the arc of the spring, then mark the spring in 2" increments and run it through my press, pressing on the marks. Keep running it through until the arc is the same, but the eyes are reversed. Sometimes I'll take a little arc out of it if I want it a bit lower. Usually takes about an hour, but I creep up on it.
In theory, the spring gets longer when you reverse it. The eves obviously originally point down & in, when you reverse the eyes they point up & out. In actually use, it's not an issue. What makes it seem shorter though, is the second leaf. You HAVE to shorten it about 1/2" to 3/4" because it will hit the now reversed eyes. Think about it, with the eyes in the original position, the second leaf ends right above the eye, and moves out a little as the spring compresses. Now that the eye is reversed, it's in the path of the second leaf. If it clears the leaf at all, it will bind against the eye when compressed. The solution, trim each end of the spring.
Also, I install all my reversed eye springs unassembled, and I think that's the way most do it. Install the main leaf & shackles. You can easily bow the single main leaf by hand to install it. Then start stacking your leafs using a longer center bolt to line them up, and c-clamp each leaf in place as you go. When you get them all on, carefully tighten the long center bolt and then cut off the excess bolt. That's it.
So...The spring looks fine to me. The eyes of the spring should be square to the leaf, and yours are. Disassemble the spring. Shorten second leaf to clear reversed eyes. Install main leaf in car and assemble spring pack using longer bolt & c clamps. It may sound daunting, and apparently it sounds daunting to your builder, but this is quite simple really. And also standard stuff that has to be done to get the low stance that you want.
thequietwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:25 AM   #36
thequietwon

Also, after reading that the rear spring fits in the shackle correctly but is too short to reach the other one....remember that these style springs have to be spread to install them, even a stock spring. That's why spreader bars were made for these springs. They don't work on reversed eye.springa though, so the springs have to be disassembled and the main leaf installed first as I described above. This is really basic early Ford suspension hot rodding, and has been done this way for years. Maybe he isnt.familiar with
Old 08-25-2019, 02:35 AM   #37
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I think A lot of effort to gain a inch or so ,you can remove a leave or two to get the same drop then at some point the suspension will bottom out any way, maybe longer shackles on the back but that comes with its own side affects .a dropped axle will drop it and most likely retain the correct function of the suspension, several ways of using a spreader bar on a reversed eye spring have been posted here in the past ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #38
Mart

I made this spring spreader for 40 springs but found I could use it on my 32 reversed eye rear spring using simply fabricated brackets.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221679

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #39
flatjack9

I have had springs reversed at a sheet metal shop by rearching in a large roller.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #40
Andy

I installed the springs by putting the car on stands and jacking the ends of the springs up intil I could install the other shackle. Start with one shackle installed and held level. You are not lifting the whole weight of the car as the shackles are level. The spring is bolted down so it can't go anywhere.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #41
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks to me as though they have cut the ends off and welded new ends on. Looks like a weld just inboard of the eyes in all your photos. Totally wrong!!
BINGO! Give that man a seegar.

They cut the ends off and turned them over. You can PLAINLY see the welds.
Total idiots. You can bet a weeks pay check that spring will break right next to the weld.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #42
Bored&Stroked

Pete is 100% correct - you can see the welds . . . plain as day. I would NOT be running those springs and I'd be asking for a refund and new main leaves. The clearly had no idea as to the procedure to use - went about it completely wrong.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #43
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I installed the springs by putting the car on stands and jacking the ends of the springs up intil I could install the other shackle. Start with one shackle installed and held level. You are not lifting the whole weight of the car as the shackles are level. The spring is bolted down so it can't go anywhere.

A couple bottle jacks do work to install a regular spring or reverse on the front. Engine weight helps.

On the rear you can lift the car or in my case a truck off the jack stands as there is not a lot of weight to counteract a good spring. I used a reverse eye and 1" drop shackles on the rear of my truck.

Lots of tension there. Just be safe.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #44
thequietwon

Most stock springs I've pulled apart have a similar line...its wear from the 2nd spring working against the main leaf. The ends of the each spring digs into the one below if they aren't kept lubed, and they never seem to be. The wear line is now on the bottom since it was bent & re-versed instead of having eye re-rolled. Can you show.a picture of the other side, showing the spring eye? That will tell us right away if the line is evident on that side to.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #45
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietwon View Post
Most stock springs I've pulled apart have a similar line...its wear from the 2nd spring working against the main leaf. The ends of the each spring digs into the one below if they aren't kept lubed, and they never seem to be. The wear line is now on the bottom since it was bent & re-versed instead of having eye re-rolled. Can you show.a picture of the other side, showing the spring eye? That will tell us right away if the line is evident on that side to.
Good point and a smart thing to do. If they are truly cut/weld areas, should be able to decipher them on both sides. So I think I'll pass on my opinion until we see the other side. Hell - trying to diagnose issues like this from pictures - we should all be Doctors! LOL

I did go back and look again - still looks like a weld to me . . . seems very close to the end of the spring - don't believe my 2nd leaves extend that far. I will have to go look at a 32-34 rear spring today in the shop . . . will post pictures
Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #46
fordson

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. In the meantime i have been to Cape Town to work on the car and check out the spring problems.
I have to say that everybody kind of panicked since the dropped front axle by Greg Haynes and the Lincoln brake System i got from Richard Lacy were like parts from outer space that would alter the character of the car. There were legal worries too! It all looked like a big mess up and i wanted it that way. However there was a major surprise:
The springworkshop did the front spring, reversed the main leaf and it worked out well, the rear they did as well, but as you know you cant just flip the main leaf because of the bend. They heated, straightened and rerolled the eye. It did work, but they were adament not to do it again☹️. Unfortunately we tried to fit the assembled reverse eye rear spring to the rear axle and could not fit it.
When reversing the eyes by heating, unrolling and rerolling, the main leaf shortens a little.

We thought the Springworkshop made a cock up, but only realised at a later stage the spring hanger on the rear axle shaft housing was bent due to an accident the wheel got hooked by. We used my last original 34 rear spring once we changed the axle housings with straight spring hangers. By that time we realised the reversed eye main leaf would have probably fitted as well, but by that time, the leaf was messed up, due to all sorts of treatments.

I dont want to do this to the main leaf of my stock rearspring again and mess it up as well. Since i still have all the other leaves from the 1st spring, i am hoping to find or get a main leaf with reversed eyes from somenoe who knows what he is doing. I could assemble and fit it, keeping the original stock spring just in case!

The front with dropped axle, bent spindle arm, steering rod set up and reverse eye spring fell in place once the brake drums and wheels went on. There is clearance to the dog bone shock links and everything is spaced correctly. Not much stance in sight though. Everybody was wondering what the hell this was all about in the first place. Then the engine got seated in the frame and suddenly there was LIGHT everywhere! And actual compliments although there is still doubt regarding wheel and fender clearance.

I am concerned that the rear sits too high with the stock rear spring, but unless i get a reverse eye main leaf or complete aftermarket rear spring from the US, itll stay like that. Luckily i have a stock front spring. I could also fit that and the stance will only rely on the dropped axle. Well see what it looks like.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #47
fordson

Some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 456A9AAB-47A9-4A0A-BE68-28A7F77A9EC4.jpg (57.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 5ED5703B-7FC5-484F-9DAE-B8D61E2DB819.jpg (59.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CC05CFFB-01DF-4844-A4ED-E1FB7EA30032.jpg (54.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #48
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Thanks for the update.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #49
cas3

yes, thanks for the update. a sad story, especially where parts are not available, and shipping heavy parts is not a good alternative. sad to say your spring shop screwed up twice, dont go back there. reversing the eyes on a spring is childs play really, its been done at home by amateur hotrod builders for decades. you need a press, a common tool even in africa i presume, and some time, and thats it. no great skill, you learn as you go. if you google "reverse eyes spring hamb" several threads will show up, and i believe you should find some youtube video's as well. i will give you the basics, but study some google threads and you will see it can be done quite easily. first, you trace the spring with chalk on the floor in the shop. a little more difficult due to the curved spring of a 34, but figure it out. maybe a wood template? whatever, next, mark with chalk every inch across the whole spring. next put the spring in the press on some thing to allow you to press a bend. i use a piece of 6" channel iron. next use a round thing to do the actual pressing, i use an old generator case, but some thing round and strong. next you start pressing a little bit on each one inch increment all the way across the spring. you will not see much happening at first, thats good, just keep going back and forth and slowly it starts to show you are bending the spring. when you start getting close to the arch you started with, then check it against your pattern you drew on the floor. when its all done clamp it in a vise with a strait edge, as in a piece of angle iron or heavy iron that is STRAIGHT, with the bolt hole in the spring center EXACTLY in the center of your vise jaws, and measure out to the spring eyes to make sure they both measure the same so the car sits level, unlike the 34 i'm lookin at rite now that sits crooked because some one didnt check they're work (we wont mention names) . if its not rite, then back to the press until it is. keep in mind when you reverse a spring in this method they get slightly longer, so in the end you may want to be sure you end up with the desired 45% angle on your spring shackles. this can be adjusted by heating and bending the the spring mounts on the axle housing, just make an effort to keep them square with the spring. its easy, you can do it, and dont go to that spring shop ever again
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #50
Mart

Can I just make a simple point. Not calling anyone out.

You CAN reverse a 32-34 rear spring main leaf by simply re-arching.

You flip the leaf end for end and turn it upside down, then re-arch it the opposite way. The curve in the middle remains untouched.

The spring on the rear of Old Rusty is like that.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #51
derek costello

The front eye to eye is supposed to 29" center to center I have the whole spring new if you want to pay $50. plus shipping.

Derek costello
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #52
1931 flamingo

How about a longer shackle in the back?? Probably work IF the spring is behind the axle.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
How about a longer shackle in the back?? Probably work IF the spring is behind the axle.
Paul in CT
That will not work on the earlier vehicles without a pan/locator bar. The shackles and shackle angle are used to control side sway (not well, but that is the idea!).
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #54
russcc

Some of the responses are right on target. The simplest way is to re-arch the spring with the eyes on the top instead of the bottom. Why would anyone go to the trouble of heating & re-rolling the eyes. Re-arching the spring leaves the eyes in exactly the same place. Re-arching the spring takes about a patient hour on the press. All my reverse eye springs have been don this way for years.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #55
alchemy

Fordson, I think you might be overthinking your problem. You don't really need a reversed eye main leaf in the rear. Just dearch the whole pack a little in a simple H press. Take the spring apart and make a mark every two inches on each of the bottom five leafs or so. Press each leaf individually in a press a couple hand pumps past initial contact at each of those marks. You can check the progress of each individual leaf compared to an arch outline drawn on the ground before you begin. If you dearch each leaf an inch, it will be the same as a reversed eye spring. For free!

Then, if you decide later that it's not enough, you can take it apart and do it all a little more.

I just did that last spring on my 32 tudor (same spring as your car).
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote