Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Rand

Default For Prof.Henry

I know that this is going to generate a lot of opinion's but...with the amount of miles that you put on Ol' Henry I would like to ask you what Motor oil, Trans oil and Differential oil you use in Ol' Henry. Curious what others are using as well?
Thanks a bunch!
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: For Prof.Henry

We do a lot of miles in our std 33,in the summer hear temps are in the high 30,s to low 40,s C
engine oil castrol 20-50.
gearbox 80/90 gear oil.
rear end 80/140 gear oil.
we dont have a winter here
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Old Henry

In the summer when I never have to start the engine below 60° I use S.A.E. 40 engine oil just to be able to see a little higher oil pressure on my gauge. In the winter I can keep that in the engine since my garage never gets below 60° until a road trip when the car will be outside overnight. Then I put in 10W-30 engine oil. Since my engine uses a quart of oil per 1,000 miles I just use the cheapest detergent oil I can find and add a little ZDDP just in case it helps.

The transmission and steering gear get 85W-90 and the differential and fan hub get 90W-140 to cover all seasons, per Ford's recommendations, with a touch of ZDDP added in there too. Again, brand is not important since those get changed every 5,000 miles. Usually get the Valvoline at AutoZone. The generator and speedometer get 3-in-one oil.

Attached is my maintenance schedule taken from all information I have found about such.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Maintenance Schedule0003.PDF (558.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Rand

So I've been running Castrol 10w30 for years with no problems
And...and from the advise from someone from here or another site suggested that I use Hypoid 85w90 in my OD trans.
I know everybody has favorites... but what do you think of what I have been using?
Tks, Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
So I've been running Castrol 10w30 for years with no problems
And...and from the advise from someone from here or another site suggested that I use Hypoid 85w90 in my OD trans.
I know everybody has favorites... but what do you think of what I have been using?
Tks, Randy
I think what you have been using is fine. There are downsides to multi-vis oils that keep me away from them except when I've got to start the engine below freezing in the winter. http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/ But, I've always said at the end of lengthy threads about oil, that the way to tell if an oil is right for your car is to stick your finger in the oil container, pull it out, and rub two fingers together. If it feels slippery, put it in. That's how critical I think viscosities and brands are in choosing oils for our flatheads.

Reasonable minds certainly differ.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
B-O-B

I know A Z will give you 10 percent senior discount but if you have a wally wold near it may be less expensive for your oil. As long as the API numbers match it's all good.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote