Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: What to do with a new chrome headlight bar...
Leave it as is 18 24.66%
Paint it black as original 55 75.34%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #21
Terry,NJ

Default Re: Headlight Bar

You might want to take a trip to Bill Haberer's Mod A Acres in Watsonville, Pa. I don't know where Lexington, Ohio is, but Bill is right off Rt 80 about halfway across the state. Bill aquired a large supply of Mod. A stuff from Renningers about two years ago. He's sort of a "Bert's" Of the east coast. His number is 570 538 3200.
Terry

Last edited by Terry,NJ; 11-02-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #22
Logan

Do what you want. If you like it leave it, if not replace it. But don't paint the chrome one, you can't paint over chrome. The first bug or rock you hit while driving will chip it paint right off and then it'll just start flaking off from there. Chrome is way to "slick" for paint to adhere to. It'll look fine when you're done spraying it, but it will chip real easy then once it's chipped it's game over. Powder coat will work though.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
You might want to take a trip to Bill Haberer's Mod A Acres in Watsonville, Pa. I don't know where Lexington, Ohio is, but Bill is right off Rt 80 about halfway across the state. Bill aquired a large supply of Mod. A stuff from Renningers about two years ago. He's sort of a "Bert's" Of the east coast. His number is 570 538 3200.
Terry
I live a couple miles from Bill. It's worth a visit just to see what he's got, plus, several times he's stopped his work to help explain some point to me I couldn't quite get. Nice guy.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #24
5window

It depends,really, on what your goal is. Are you building an all original, fine points car? The get an original bar. If you're building a drive, use the chrome-why not-you already have it and it will look good.

There's no sense to me in buying an "original" bar and then powder coating it-you'd still end up with a non-original finish, just modern black and shiny instead of modern chrome and shiny.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #25
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Do what you want. If you like it leave it, if not replace it. But don't paint the chrome one, you can't paint over chrome. The first bug or rock you hit while driving will chip it paint right off and then it'll just start flaking off from there. Chrome is way to "slick" for paint to adhere to. It'll look fine when you're done spraying it, but it will chip real easy then once it's chipped it's game over. Powder coat will work though.
If you're going to paint it you would need to sand it first to rough it up, then prime it and paint it, from what I'm told.

Thanks for all the opinions, appreciate it everyone.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
fiddlybits

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Depends. How original is the car and are you trying to keep it original. Chrome looks wrong on original.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
antiquepa

If it was suppose to be black when the car was new and you want to stay with original then I would replace it, back to black...I pefer the the way they were made!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote