Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31
Default Almost done with restoration but shifting problem, and more.

So as most of you know I have been restoring a 31 Tudor and now 4years later I'm close to being finished. BUT, I am stuck on a few major problems. The main problem I'm having is the car won't shift between each gear. So I pulled the motor last weekend and spent all day taking it out and adjusting the pressure plate and checking all the clutch parts. After getting it all back in I went for a test run and couldn't get out of my yard without it grinding. I'm double clutching fine I just can't shift unless I'm at a stop. I believe it's not freewheeling inside the trans. I tried 2 different transmission tops thinking the forks were right. I'm dumbstruck as what to try or do next. I just want to drive the car. I'm so close but so far. All that's left is the interior. Im hoping to be able to start going to national meets and local gathering, trying to get more kids my age into model A's. The other problem is the engine runs really hot yet the radiator is cool and when I open the drain on the lower tube the coolent is cold. I think the head could be plugged? And the last problem, well it's just something that worries me is that the engine I have in it had a repair weld someone must have made on the side of the block, and when I pulled the motor last weekend I noticed it was a bit rust and damp under the weld. I had painted the engine a few years ago so I believe it's leaking out of it this makes me wonder if I would ever make it far on a long distance trip. I'm out of ideas and money, and this past year was the last year I could apply for the youth restoration award as i am turing 21 this Sunday.

If anyone has any ideas about anything please let me know. I am dieing to drive the car!

I will update my website soon with all the current pictures and info. Just been busy with work and school.

Mike Cataldo
Aka modelakid
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote