Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #21
Patrick L.

Default Re: New Battery shut off switch, now ammeter is strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
My ground side has two large wiring leads, one is bare medal to the frame the other to transmission attachment. My positive side is single lead. How is it possible I would put my shut-off on the ground lead, maintaining duel leads?
Thanks

The switch will, or should, work mounted to the hot lead. I'm concerned just how it was installed. Thats why I mentioned removing it to see if anything was wrong.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #22
jquinlan

I was working all day today and just got back into this. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll address the questions and what I now think this problem might be.

When I started this project the first thing I did was disconnect the battery so no shorts happened during the switch installation. I was very careful. I also did not touch any of the other wiring and was diligent. As far as the hammer, I must have made it sound like I was pounding on the battery but it was a very small hammer and it really wasn't that hard to seat the terminal. But I agree, in the future I'll skip the hammer.

I put the battery on a trickle charge (it's an optima red top) and my voltage indicator only indicates exactly 6 volts. The new battery switch was completely removed and I wired it back exactly like it was. The ammeter again zinged over to the right and stayed there for a little while. It slowly (I'm talking 15-20 minutes) started centering the needle but never went to center.

So I'm thinking that the battery might be going bad. Shouldn't the battery charge to something like 7.2 volts or something like that? Because now I'm thinking the ammeter is just doing it's job. Battery needs more juice. When I get a new battery the cables will also be replaced and the switch will be installed on ground instead of the starter switch.

I'm not the best mechanic so does this make sense? Regardless, I sure enjoy working on a Model 'A'.

Last edited by jquinlan; 04-20-2019 at 06:52 PM.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #23
Chuck Sea/Tac

What is the voltage going to the battery when engine is running? The battery is usually 6.8 volts when charged . Within a tenth or so.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #24
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post

I put the battery on a trickle charge (it's an optima red top) and my voltage indicator only indicates exactly 6 volts.

So I'm thinking that the battery might be going bad. Shouldn't the battery charge to something like 7.2 volts or something like that?

An Optima 6v is fully charged at 6.3v

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #25
Patrick L.

With an alternator the ammeter can peg itself especially if its a 20 amp meter. It sounds like the alternator regulator is working since the ammeter needle swings back after awhile.

My concern was the pegged needle, the reason I asked about removing the switch. Since nothing changed when you did that I'm thinking you installed the switch correctly.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
eagle

I wouldn't replace the battery at this point. You really need to take some voltage readings and report back with them. 1. after charging with trickle charger for at least 8 hours and engine NOT yet started: 2. with engine started and idling: 3. With engine running at cruising RPM: Without these numbers, you really are only going to get guesses.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #27
jquinlan

I just got a different voltage meter which is more precise than the one I was using. The battery registers 6.23 volts which I guess means it's fine. And when it's running using my less precise voltage meter it registered 7 volts which also seems good enough.

It runs very well so maybe I'm just paranoid with the ammeter pegging to the right when it starts can be normal for a model a.

It sat all night with no battery switch and didn't lose any voltage so probably no shorts or voltage loss.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. Greatly appreciated.

On a better note this morning I installed a carburetor I rebuilt and adjusted the float with shims and now no more leaky carburetor !!!

Last edited by jquinlan; 04-21-2019 at 08:12 AM.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #28
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
With an alternator the ammeter can peg itself especially if its a 20 amp meter. It sounds like the alternator regulator is working since the ammeter needle swings back after awhile.

My concern was the pegged needle, the reason I asked about removing the switch. Since nothing changed when you did that I'm thinking you installed the switch correctly.
Thanks Patrick ... good to know
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #29
37 Coupe

Probabley the ammeter itself.Most are junk and some suppliers are not even offering them today.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
1931 flamingo

I think it's doing what it's supposed to do. JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

REDTOP Type: 6V

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep-cycle applications.
Recommended charging information:
  • Alternator:
    • 6.65 to 7.5 volts, no amperage limit.
  • Battery Charger:
    • 6.9 to 7.5 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for six to twelve hours.
  • Rapid Recharge:
    • Maximum 7.8 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.
  • Float Charge:
    • 6.6 to 6.9 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
    • Strictly adhere to all limits.
  • Safety Information:
    • Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
    • Always use a voltage-regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
    • Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.
    • These guidelines are intended for typical consumer applications. For military, commercial applications or new equipment design, please contact OPTIMA for additional technical information and assistance
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #32
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
I put the battery on a trickle charge (it's an optima red top) and my voltage indicator only indicates exactly 6 volts. The new battery switch was completely removed and I wired it back exactly like it was. The ammeter again zinged over to the right and stayed there for a little while. It slowly (I'm talking 15-20 minutes) started centering the needle but never went to center.

So I'm thinking that the battery might be going bad. Shouldn't the battery charge to something like 7.2 volts or something like that? Because now I'm thinking the ammeter is just doing it's job. Battery needs more juice. When I get a new battery the cables will also be replaced and the switch will be installed on ground instead of the starter switch.
The CCA of any battery takes a nosedive over the years. Starter motor draws it way down so it's harder to charge up again. A new battery is probably in order, but as long as it starts the car and you don't mind the needle pegging you can probably procrastinate a while. But if you have a 60-amp alternator, the wiring through the ammeter to the battery may be getting a bit warm. The 12 gauge wire in those harnesses is rated at only 20 amps.

In my coupe I found the ammeter wires are only 16 gauge, like the rest of the car (=10A). I should replace them with #10 for my 30A alternator. Maybe one day.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #33
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
The CCA of any battery takes a nosedive over the years. Starter motor draws it way down so it's harder to charge up again. A new battery is probably in order, but as long as it starts the car and you don't mind the needle pegging you can probably procrastinate a while. But if you have a 60-amp alternator, the wiring through the ammeter to the battery may be getting a bit warm. The 12 gauge wire in those harnesses is rated at only 20 amps.

In my coupe I found the ammeter wires are only 16 gauge, like the rest of the car (=10A). I should replace them with #10 for my 30A alternator. Maybe one day.
This has been an interesting thread and I learned a few things. Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #34
d.j. moordigian

How about a 30 amp meter?....your 10 amps over the meter..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote