Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
Lawrence Jenkins

Default Re: Touring with other Model A's - How does your club communicate

[QUOTE=jquinlan;1704898]I'm new back into the Model A world after being out if it since the late 80's. Back then everyone used CB radios to communicate when out on tours. Because there really wasn't many other options at the time. But the world has changed a lot since then.

I'm planning a Model A trip from Tampa Florida to the MARC membership meet in Savannah. As there may be cars from some other clubs, I was wondering across the board what people nowadays are using to communicate. I've heard the inexpensive 2 way handheld radios are the most popular option nowadays. But do some clubs still use CB's? Cell phones are also another option. What does your club use while touring?

I tried the cheap hand held walkie takie and was not satisfied with their performance. Some people do not know how to use them. The cell phone is the best thing for our club.

And can you recommend a good hand held radio ?[/QUOTET}
Lawrence Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #22
whirnot

Make sure the law allows you to use your cell phone when travelling out of state. Here in Oregon you are not even allowed to have a cell phone in your hand. Not even at a stop light.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
Ted Duke

I have read all of the previous comments and have a question. How is it okay to use a CB or FRS radio but not your cell phone?

I NEVER text, seldom use handheld cell (use speaker, which might not work in Model A), but fail to see why another handheld would be safer or legal.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
jquinlan

I ended up purchasing one of the ptt bluetooth devices that were recommended to work with Zello. Had a lot of problems with it pairing and then the ptt mic wouldn't work. The audio side with iphone ended up playing the music on my iphone and answering my phone which is just a quirk of iphone. After spending a few days of experimenting, I decided I won't be using Zello and will have a CB as well as hand held FRS depending on the trip. Sometimes it's better to keep it simple.