Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
rundmt123

Default Gas Aspiration Problem?

I feel like I ask dumb question on this forum but being relatively new to working on A's I really appreciate all the great advice and help. Restoration is moving along, but hi another problem. Rebuilt engine turning great off the starter. All timed and getting great spark to each cylinder. Everything electrical checked out (went through Les Andrews troubleshooting steps) but wouldn't start. Gas flowing fine and thought it might be the carb I rebuilt so switched it out to one being used on a running car. Still nothing. Then noticed that when I was cranking the engine and choking it that gas was pouring out the carburetor. Seems no gas getting to the engine and I know this is a good working carburetor. I have no idea what is going on. Could it be a bad manifold gasket. Checked manifold nuts to ensure they were tight. Totally puzzled!

Thanks for any help or advice in advance!
rundmt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Gas Aspiration Problem?

See if it will start using starter fluid. If so, you probably have an intake leak. Manifold to engine, manifold itself, or at carb flange to manifold.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Any chance the distro is 180 degrees out ? Ned to confirm the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug on the compression stroke. Usually just a matter of removing the plug and putting a finger over the hole to feel the compression. Anyone who has not made the distro mistake has not build too many engines. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Over choking can cause gas to come out the Air Intake. Cold choke is only used for one to 2 revolutions of the motor. Normally anything more than that can cause the plugs to foul. Could also try some starting spray into the carb air intake - do not overdo, washes oil off the cylinder walls.

Gas coming out can also mean a stuck float valve, if does it again use a hammer to lightly tap the float bowl to see if that will jiggle the float/float valve enough to get the valve to seat.

Not uncommon this happens when changing out carbs, or when having the carb apart and put back on.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 06-09-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typos
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
KansasRick

I am with Mulletwagon on checking your distributor is pointing to 1 when cylinder 1 is tdc. An old timer told me 80% of my engine problems would be electrical related. It was pretty good advice. I found I had one A that the timing was 180 off when setup this way. It looked okay but wouldn’t go. I felt dumb when I found it. Recommend you set your timing pin in the slot and peek through the #1 plug whole to confirm it is tdc then see the rotor is pointing at the right place in the distributor. Go for the easy stuff first.

As far as flooding the carburetor and leaky intake. Those are good next steps in my opinion. I’d make double sure the timing in right first. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
Gary WA

Cracked intake manifold,is connection at manifold to muffler clamp wet with gas?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Any chance the distro is 180 degrees out ? Ned to confirm the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug on the compression stroke. Usually just a matter of removing the plug and putting a finger over the hole to feel the compression. Anyone who has not made the distro mistake has not build too many engines. Good Luck.

The red book has confused some when speaking about the timing and using the wording "opposite number one".

<1

above is the arrow opposite the number 1?

or below is the arrow opposite the number 1?

>1

When dealing with the red book the bottom is correct, the rotors brass end should almost touch (.025) the internal contact of the number one plug.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
Ray64

Did you tape off the intake exaust manifold ports so you could paint and then forget to take it off? Easy to do in a dimly lit garage. Believe me I know how to do that HE HE HE
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
chap52

I going along with the 180 out crowd. Don't ask me why. But it happened to me on a 239 V8 build. Even had Bubba, a very gracious man, on the phone thinking it was my new distributor. Ended up it was the "loose nut" holding the wrench that was the problem, yep, me. I was 180 out on the timing. Live and learn...maybe! Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

My Method.
- remove all spark plugs, fully retard the spark lever up.
- Put a compression gauge in cyclinder 1, makes it easy to tell when cylinder 1 is on compression.
- Hand crank until guage starts to indicate compression.
- remove timing pin and use to find TDC.
- Remove Rotor Cap - Should look like this attached doc.
- Remove Rotor, loosen Cam screw, move cam for widest points gap, adjust to proper gap. Mark teh cam lobe that gap has been adjusted to.
- Move cam so points just open (timing pin is already set for TDC with spark adjust set to full retard, above). Tighten cam screw. Wiggle Cam/Distributor shaft and points should make/break.
- Hand crank motor to cam lobe/points fully opened marked above for max gap on points, recheck points gap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rotor, TDC Timing PIn Cylinder 1.pdf (142.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
aermotor

Timed properly with the timing pin seating it can not be 180 out. The shafts from the cam gear are all connected off center. Remember cam to crank gear ratio is 2 to 1 - so no way to be off 180, if the timing pin was in the dimple the number 1 piston has to be at TDC - you don't have to look at the piston it CAN'T be anywhere else - unless the crank and camshaft gears were installed out of proper mesh.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 06-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Timed properly with the timing pin seating it can not be 180 out. The shafts from the cam gear are all connected off center. Remember cam to crank gear ratio is 2 to 1 - so no way to be off 180, if the timing pin was in the dimple the number 1 piston has to be at TDC - you don't have to look at the piston it CAN'T be anywhere else.

John

Only way it can be off with good standard parts is timing marks are not aligned on the gears. But that means if it ran before, bad gears. Or motor has and or gears have been apart and reassembled incorrectly.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
aermotor

BTW the oil slinger covers the marked crank tooth, it is either (forgot which) 1 tooth left or right of the crank key way.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Russ/40

Has it ever started for you, or is this the first start after rebuild? Sound seriously flooded to me.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
rundmt123

So..... Checked the manifold and all gaskets. All good. Went through all the suggested checks made by everyone and the winner is....appears I am 180 degrees out. Went back to timing it again and once my timing pin hit the dimple I pulled the number one plug and the cylinder was dead bottom not TDC. Newly rebuilt engine so I assume the timing gear was installed incorrectly? So the big question now is what do I do? How do I time it 180 out or do I have to remove the timing gear cover and fix that?
rundmt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
katy

If the pin is in the dimple and the #1 piston is down, it sounds like the mesh of the timing gears is incorrect. To verify you will have to pull the timing gear cover.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

You did not indicate who rebuilt your motor,. If professionally done by someone else, would 1st contact them, and go from there. At least let them know something is goofy, and see if they will make it right.