Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #1
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default what do you think

I enjoy a hot rod as much as the next guy but ,?
Ted
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...adster.998171/

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-13-2015 at 05:21 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: what do you think

What do I think? Just read my signature.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
SofaKing

Take a nice original, modify it so it has no resemblance to original and then stand around and brag it is all "Henry steel". That way it will perform half as well as if you bought a glass body, purpose built frame with modern suspension and modern drivetrain and it cost you double and took twice as long. What's not to like? On the other hand, he bought it.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
slowforty

I dont have any problem with someone doing what they want to their car.
The only thing that bothers me is that a lot of people are more worried about resale value than changing the car from stock.
I am not worried about the value of my car as before I die I p[an to sell it and spend the money on a Lot of Expensive Hookers
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I LIKE Hot Rods, but never understood destroying a good car to make one. There are plenty of old Hot Rods, ex-race cars, or just piles of parts out there to make into whatever you want. All of my Hot Rods are ex-dirt trace race cars with the floors cut out, sometimes firewalls cut out, most of the interiors stripped and plenty of dents. I enjoy bringing them back to life, not destroying an original car in restorable shape.

Example of a 34 I am getting ready to rebuild:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 Coupe Body.jpg (89.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 34 Coupe Body II.jpg (87.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 34 Coupe Body III.jpg (106.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 34 Fordoor Doors.jpg (89.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-13-2015 at 07:53 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
roundvalley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It is his money and his car. What do you think Ted?
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
jacob smith

I am with jseery. Hate to see a nice complete car get cut up. But it is there money. use it as they wish
Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
41ford1

Picked up this really nice restored 34 roadster out of eastern Tn last month. The car has 39000 actual miles on it. It won 1st in the AACA in 82 and has been stored ever since. This car has never had a spec of rust and has every original bolt, nut and screw on it. The good thing is the lacquer is checked all over it and in my opinion is its ready to use!!! BUT My delima is it to original to change?? Plans were for 12v conversion, Lincoln brakes, early Eddie Meyer intake , dual exhaust and maybe a Columbia rear. My vision is a circa 1940 mild hotrod. Just curious of everyone's thoughts on it.

yankee mike, Wednesday at 10:08 PM

I pulled this from post 1 of the thread. I don't see where he says its going to be "cut up". Every thing he mentions is basically bolt on. His car and his money.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Picked up this really nice restored 34 roadster out of eastern Tn last month. The car has 39000 actual miles on it. It won 1st in the AACA in 82 and has been stored ever since. This car has never had a spec of rust and has every original bolt, nut and screw on it. The good thing is the lacquer is checked all over it and in my opinion is its ready to use!!! BUT My delima is it to original to change?? Plans were for 12v conversion, Lincoln brakes, early Eddie Meyer intake , dual exhaust and maybe a Columbia rear. My vision is a circa 1940 mild hotrod. Just curious of everyone's thoughts on it.

yankee mike, Wednesday at 10:08 PM

I pulled this from post 1 of the thread. I don't see where he says its going to be "cut up". Every thing he mentions is basically bolt on. His car and his money.
Yep, good point!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
34pickup

I'm with 41ford1. Nothing he plans to do to the car is anything other than unbolting something and bolting something else on it. No more drastic than changing a gasket for a repair. I think it will make the car more driveable and enjoyable. He can change it back in a day if he wants to.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
flatheadv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I'm with 41ford1. Nothing he plans to do to the car is anything other than unbolting something and bolting something else on it. No more drastic than changing a gasket for a repair. I think it will make the car more driveable and enjoyable. He can change it back in a day if he wants to.
I also agree as it sounds like all the modifications are bolt on and can be easily reversed. I would keep all the original parts. Great looking car!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I'm not a fan of radical street rods, but changing an original car to a '40's period correct hotrod, without cutting anything, and doing all bolt on changes that can be reversed, does not bother me in the least. I guess I had expected to see some radical cut up / messed up '34 roadster at the end of that post, but didn't. Yankee Mike is also a member here, so it would be interesting to see him make the same post here, and see what Fordbarn members think.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

If it can be easily undone I don't have a problem with it. My 2 cars that are hot rods were either junk or already modified when I got it. My avatar roadster was a roached body that I hammer welded 10" of new metal all the way around, new subrails and floor, my 5w already had been a hot rod from the 60s and I am keeping it that way but it could be restored by someone if they replaced the panel below the decklid. I have one and only 1 car that I put together to be judged (Dearborn award). So I have both. It pains me to see someone with a lot of cash buy a Dearborn winner, to strip it down or chop it knowing how much work it takes to get a car to that level.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
buelligan

The only thing a post like this does, is tell the temper of the page, what I mean is if you post the same thing on ten different pages, you will get replies in line with the audience that frequents the page. The replies on the HAMB should be of no surprise to anyone. Ask them what to do with any car and their answer will be, "it's your car, make it yours". (not discrediting the HAMB in any fashion) Post the same on a "purist" page and you'll get some folks to have heart attacks. There is everything in between. I say if your car isn't a factory 1 of 1 then do with it as you see fit, if you "ruin" it then it makes mine more rare...... have at it.
buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I have to agree with these posts ,its his car ,Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundvalley View Post
It is his money and his car. What do you think Ted?
JSeery Re: what do you think
I LIKE Hot Rods, but never understood destroying a good car to make one. There are plenty of old Hot Rods, ex-race cars, or just piles of parts out there to make into whatever you want. All of my Hot Rods are ex-dirt trace race cars with the floors cut out, sometimes firewalls cut out, most of the interiors stripped and plenty of dents. I enjoy bringing them back to life, not destroying an original car in restorable shape.

Example of a 34 I am getting ready to rebuild:

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
TJ

Sounds to me like he is making a real driver out of it. He can still drive it to a
V-8 meet and put it in the Touring A or modified class. I don't see any modification that cannot be undone.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #17
robert hayward

Drive it for 12 months then make a decision, by then you have fallen in love with how it is.
robert hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #18
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert hayward View Post
Drive it for 12 months then make a decision, by then you have fallen in love with how it is.
By todays standards you should be able to find out how bad it really is in less than a week..
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #19
Henry Hopper

I bought an original 32 roadster, totally stock in every way...it was the worst driving car I've ever had.I went down the modified route,just cosmetics,but could not bring myself to make the changes needed to make it a nice driver.I sold it on and it got totally taken apart and made into a blown flathead powered hotrod....looks good but I feel kind of sorry that it had survived all those years intact.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
bartmcneill

As long as the mods are bolt in I can go for it. Just like on my A, I am putting hydraulics on it, 12 volt system and halogen lights. Also putting 16 inch wires and a dropped front axle. But I am keeping all the original parts that I can put back on if wanted.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote