Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
carolinamudwalker

Default Rear End Temperature

How hot should the rear end get after an hour's run. outside temp about 90 deg. Mine gets too hot to hold your hand on. The torqe tube also is hot but not as bad. I have had it apart during a TX swap out and replaced the bearings and cups (races) in the rear end. Maybe I am just being paranoid. BTW Model A only TX kit is super, Thanks Bob
carolinamudwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Rear End Temperature

there is no spec of how hot a differential will get .. on a 90 deg day after a good run yea you wont be able to hold your hand on it.. if your preloads are to tight you will know soon enough as your bearings will be torn up and noises will occur. from my experience this wont take to long to happen...a modeL A rear gets very little preload almost to the point where just the end play is removed
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

A few years ago I drove my 28 Phaeton 17 miles when the air was in the upper 80's. As soon as I got to my friend's house I shot the differential temp and it was only 95*. This is a good unrestored rear end.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Tom Endy

If the banjo became so hot you couldn't put your hand on it after a rebuild, my suspicion is the pre-loads on the carrier bearings and the pinion bearings were not set properly. In the case of the carrier bearings if they are too tight they can cause the bearing mount to spin on the carrier hubs instead of the roller elements rolling in the races. This is metal turning on metal and will certainly generate heat. In the case of the pinion bearings set too tight I have seen cases where the double race in the banjo spun. This will also generate heat.

Many on this forum have seen and used the differential rebuild dissertation posted on the web site of the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, California. www.santaanitaas.org Recently I did a rebuild for a club member and during the process I did a photo shoot of the entire process, which included having to remove the new carrier bearings to install shims. The photo shoot includes 65 photos with text.

This document has recently been posted on the web site right below the differential dissertation. Go to the home page of the web site and put your cursor on "Technical Reference", my name will appear below, click on it and it will bring up a menu of articles.

Scroll to "differential". The two articles are the differential rebuild, revised 2014, and right below, the photo shoot, 2015.

All are welcome to download and print these articles out.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Rear End Temperatures

Something about the month of April ....... mine always increases before the 15th ..... and then cools off gradually after the 15th.

Nothing like a most sincere different Model A opinion now and then.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Rear End Temperatures

Something about the month of April ....... mine always increases before the 15th ..... and then cools off gradually after the 15th.

Nothing like a most sincere different Model A opinion now and then.
Well, H.L, I file mine REAL EARLY & send a SAD note with it I "guess" I sound SO PATHETIC, they send me a CHECK Try it!
Bill W.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
silversink

Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bill,

I started to send a note with my tax form also, to Lois Lerner that is, that she qualified for nomination in the "McGuiness World Records" because she was the first female in all of history who went before a large group was asked to "talk".

Instead of running her mouth like a Poll Parrot .......... she surprised and shocked the entire World and did not utter a single word.

On second thought, it could get dangerous if one intentionally raised her Rear End Temperature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a Serious Note of Appreciation:

In his reply No. 4 above:

Mr. Tom Endy should be highly commended for sharing his knowledge and taking his most valuable time to write such wonderful, detailed articles on disassembly, rebuilding, and reassembling Model A differentials; and also for continuing to add additional revised notes from time to time to his first original writings.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #9
SAJ

I read on Fordbarn or somewhere else and wrote down that rear diff permitted temp is ambient plus 90 to 110 deg F. I re-used old bearings on the pinion in my wifes Tudor, set at 15 lb-inch preload. It ran at 113 deg F round town on a 77 deg day and 150 after a run at 55mph down the motorway. I felt this was OK considering the double cone was removed from another car and polished up due to that car's diff having partly destroyed itself and put metal particles throughout the casing. The Tudor's diff now runs cooler and is very silent after 1200 miles of running.
I used the old bearings because I could not get a new double cone in NZ at the time. I always favour new parts if possible but I got away with it this time.
Hope this information helps.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 07-27-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: clarify text
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
carolinamudwalker

Thanks everybody, I really dont want to tear it down again. Will monitor temp with infra red gun for a while and see what happens. Might be sorry Bob
carolinamudwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
Dick So. Cal.

I have checked the differential temp and tranny temp several times and they both run about 134 deg after an extended run. While I was at it, I checked the brake drum temps to see if I had one out of adjustment. The temp varies but I look for temps that are the same (within a reasonable number . . 10-15 deg?) on all four drums.

All this is just a sanity check for me.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick So. Cal. View Post
I have checked the differential temp and tranny temp several times and they both run about 134 deg after an extended run. While I was at it, I checked the brake drum temps to see if I had one out of adjustment. The temp varies but I look for temps that are the same (within a reasonable number . . 10-15 deg?) on all four drums.

All this is just a sanity check for me.

Dick
thats more like it and they get hotter than that on a hot day and a good run.. your not laying your hand on it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Fullraceflathead

Using a Infrared Gun to check temps is best.
The Hand will feel like it's burning (Too Hot) at around 110-120 degrees.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote