Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Ronnieroadster

Default 32 sedan patch panels any good ones made?

My son and I have been working on 32 Tudor sedan body which needs a lot of help along the lower areas of the body. The rear quarters in front of the wheel arch patch panels we have a no wheres near accurate.
First the overall length is to long from the body door opening edge to the wheel well the reveals are to big and each of the steps that locate in the door jamb area are to deep and also to long in other words they are pretty much useless. Its been a while since we got these panels so its unknown who made these pieces of junk. Would anyone have a suggestion as to where some more accurate panels can be found? Some adjustments for fitting is no problem for us so anything closer to accurate is what were looking for.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 32 sedan patch panels any good ones made?

Brookville??

Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
deuce lover

You might try United Pacific since they do the 5W body. There is a Co in Ontario Canada that makes patch panels as I got some for a 32 PU body.Don't know if the do other '32 body styles.The patch panels that all vendors sold in the 90's are made by Carpenter and stamped flat and crap.I had a friend fix a tudor in the same spot as you.He had to do a lot of massaging to get them to look decent.EMS makes patches but don't think for '32 but again stamped flat.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Krylon32

Tom Bay
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Tom Bay

Any more info on Tom Bay? Anyone do a Tudor body recently?
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Krylon32

Tom has a restoration and parts business in Arkansas City Kansas but I can't remember it's name?

Last edited by Krylon32; 11-17-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
barnfind08

It’s called Tom Bay
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
It’s called Tom Bay

Ronnie....Apparently, Tom Bay is the owner of R&J Enterprises in Arkansas City, Ks. Try this contact info:

R&J Enterprises
6034 302 Rd Arkansas City KS
620-441-0032
Fax: 620-307-6086
[email protected]

DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Krylon32

V8 You nailed it, I'm getting forgetful?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Tom is a friend of mine (more my wife, they went to collage together). Great guy and great parts. Mostly 33 and 34 parts, but some 32.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Ronnieroadster

Great Thanks everyone I will contact Tom and ask if he has what we need or an idea who makes a good quality part we can work with.
Ronnieroadster
Old 11-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Hey Ronnie - if you don't find some good news, give me a call. I've found that there are very few patch panels made that are worth a crap - almost nothing is correct. The situation goes from bad to worse once you get away from roadsters and coupes.

Consider having some hand made to fit your body - is what I've had to do. Give me a call if you want to chat about it.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #13
jimTN

Let us know the outcome, how well they fit and so on when you find them.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
Ronnieroadster

Placing the order with R&J today explained our displeasure with the oversize crap items we already have Tom assured us these items will be good he also makes the lower rear panel for the sedan body with the correct radius thats another item extremely hard to find in the correct shape including the radius needed. Years ago received one from Spadaro that was completely useless {flat} so I sent it back. When the panels arrive i will post an update for sure.
Ronnieroadster
Old 12-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
Ronnieroadster

Heres the follow up on the patch panels for our sedan project we just received. The panels were purchased from Tom Bay R&J enterprises Arkansas city KS so heres the report. What we received is the exact same worthless panels we already had! Now upon talking with Tom when placing the order he reassured us his panel was not the same old useless over size crap we already had. BUT he LIED its the exact same panel his part number written on the panel QP-32T is the exact same number written on the junk we already had! What a waste of time and money. This crap is WAY oversize SO BIG the section that sits in the door jamb is to LONG and where its needed to go into the door jamb its to DEEP. This junk is so bad you could not even do a hack job of just laying it on top of the remaining body and just welding it on top of the surface the panel is so big it wont work that way even if you wanted to just mud it up after welding { which is not how were doing this project} So now its time to cut and trim these horrible panels removing the oversize material and slowly welding things back together we now have it cut into four pieces what fun. So theres my report on the quality of the Tom Bay panels we received.
Ronnieroadster
Old 12-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #16
Krylon32

If Tom's Parts are now junk I guess the only alternative is to make ones own panels from scratch. I think he needs to be told of your problems.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Hey Ronnie - would love to see some pictures of what you're talking about. It is very hard to visualize the actual issue . . . maybe pictures would help us all. If you need any super expert metal work - just ping me. Sounds like you're doing everything yourselves - which is cool, but my good friend 'Flop' does exceptional metal work.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear that Ronnie, I have used a lot of Tom's metal work and been happy with everything so far. Some of the ones I have used do need a bit of minor twicking, but nothing major.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #19
Oldbluoval

As per ronnieroadster
I bought 34 panels from them several years ago and tossed them
Same old same old crap everyone try’s to pass off
Not even close
Also some of the stuff SAR used to sell (not sure of their status) looked like they bought them from Bay
Truth is to get them right you have to find a good metal former and get them to make them for you
IMHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #20
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Ronnie - would love to see some pictures of what you're talking about. It is very hard to visualize the actual issue . . . maybe pictures would help us all. If you need any super expert metal work - just ping me. Sounds like you're doing everything yourselves - which is cool, but my good friend 'Flop' does exceptional metal work.
Hi Dale I might be able to take some pictures to show how bad these panels are my son is actually taking the lead on doing the metal work with my help along the way. Heck I actually machined a two step die to help make the radius and steps more exacting prior to buying this junk we just received. I also made the dies for our bead roller so we can make the wheel well bead which no one reproduces. So realistically were now becoming our own metal former's Id rather be getting the next flathead underway for Speedweek but its on hold until this project is completed. Not crazy about doing body work like this but I will say its rewarding knowing were doing it our-self's and learning more as we go along. So it wont be long before another hot rod Deuce powered by a supercharged Ford flathead will be on the road.
Ronnieroadster

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 12-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.