Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Camshaft Degreeing Questions??

Would be interested how many members (working on engine assemblies) actually the take time to degree the cam (check it only) and also how many actually move/change it??

If moving/changing it, how exactly?

We have another project on the drawing board to help in this area on the Flatheads.

For those who do check the position do you choose to use the ICL method or the events?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This is only for my own curiosity, we do check every cam we install and most are with the ICL method.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
36tudordeluxe

Default Re: Camshaft Degreeing Questions??

Gary, just put a stock 221 back together, factory valve train including cam with the exception of adjustable lifters, never even thought about degreeing the cam.
Have a 276 I also put together, even bought a degree wheel but didn't use it, whole process seemed too challenging. If there was a video specific to flatheads might give it a try.
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
rotorwrench

They used to make cam drive gears with multiple hole settings. The center area looks like Swiss cheese due to the number of holes in them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Brian

What is the ICL method?
I degree mine in, I use early press on cams/gears; easy to move in relation to one another. Then, when correct, I use a scotch key to prevent gear ever slipping.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Bob/Ohio

Red's sells a +/-6 degree cam gear. When I checked my cam by the events, it was 2 degrees retarded compaired to the cam card. I was hoping someone sold an offset crank gear key, like the have for a Chevy. I couldn't see spending the money for the adjustable cam gear, (not cheap).

Bob
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

. Now I just use the split overlap method to check. Yes it would be nice to see a simpler method. However, most people can't find TDC
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

I measure the events at all 8 cylinders and decided what to do after examining the results. Readings can vary significantly from cylinder to cylinder.

If you have read my book you will see pictures of my cam gear drilling fixture which allows for adjustments to satisfy any need.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
. Now I just use the split overlap method to check. Yes it would be nice to see a simpler method. However, most people can't find TDC
With a single pattern cam like the 8CM the split overlap method works, but you cannot use that with a dual pattern cam and there are many dual pattern cams out there, both factory flathead and aftermarket.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
GOSFAST

Turned out to be a fairly simple project, am able to use the same "bushings" we now use on the SB and BB Chevies.

They come packaged in 0*, 2*, 4*, 6*, and 8*. The photos below show an 8* bushing installed but I doubt you would ever need to move a cam that far! I haven't had to on any Flatheads myself so far!

After drilling the cam and gear (bolted) together with a .246" (D) drill, disassemble all it all, press the .250" pin into the cam, then drilling all 5 gear holes separately 13/32", it's all good to go. The OEM cam lock plate keeps the bushing from walking out!

(Add) We figure about 95% of all builds won't need this mod for the most part, it would be more for builders trying to chase every last bit of HP.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! The amount of pin protruding through the bushing would be shortened slightly when all finished On a side note the hole for the pin doesn't go all the way through the flange, it cannot be seen from the back side!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear-Pill A.JPG (81.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear-Pill B.JPG (81.6 KB, 58 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What is the ICL method?
I degree mine in, I use early press on cams/gears; easy to move in relation to one another. Then, when correct, I use a scotch key to prevent gear ever slipping.
In my garage it stands for"It's Close Looking!" ICL , works every time
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

I used it with the L-100, as the exhaust valve closes and the intake opens. There is a slight delay as the piston goes over the top.It's not as accurate as degreeing the cam in, but when you've done a few, any error would stand out. However when do ing a racing engine I like to degree them in. Never find them very far off. In the early days I tried advancing and retarding the cam to find the sweet spot. Unfortunately, that was behind the steering wheel.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote