Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
fred93

Default Headliner questions

I am getting ready to install a new headliner in a 29 Tudor. One of the questions that I have concerns the type of staples that I should use to attach the liner to the wooden top bows/ribs. I never paid much attention to the different types of staples until now. I have a pneumatic staple gun that I purchased recently for some home repairs and I figured that I would use that to attach the headliner to the bows/ribs.

I'd like some feedback on the staple length and type. I see "chisel type" and "divergent type" online but I have no idea which is better.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
chap52

Default Re: Headliner questions

Never done one, but I would recommend stainless steel staples to protest against any future rust staining. They can be found on Amazon.com. There does not have to be a leak for rust to form in your part of the country.
There is a couple of You Tube posts on the project you might enjoy watching first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33dNXD2lBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC4riouE3CA
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Big hammer

Right or wrong I used black or blue tacks/ nails. With a second hammer on the backside of the bows. The tacks came with the kit and where about 3/8 long.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
wrndln

I installed the headliner in my 28 coupe - twice! A tudor is quite similar to a coupe except the tudor has a longer headliner. The reason I installed it twice involved the cardboard strips used to help hold the headliner material securely to the top bows. On the first installation, I inadvertently installed the cardboard strips a little to low and they could be see through the material and didn't look right. After carefully removing the headliner, I was careful not to staple the cardboard to low. The second instillation turned out very well. BTW, I tried to use tacks like Ford did to install the tabs to the top bows, but the top bows are springy and hard to drive a tack in except at the ends where they are secured. I used staples for this reason. There is a product called Monel staples that are rustless. Using these staples would prevent any chance of rusting to occur.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

I have done a few headliners, and this link will take you to an excellent video by Classtique. Particularly pay attention to the use of cardboard strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFekflUbQkI