Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default 1933 V8 Oil Pan Removal

I have to replace the motor mounts (looks like they melted?) and exhaust system, so I figured I'd drop the oil pan and clean the oil pump screen. It looks like a simple thing to do since I'm installing a new exhaust system anyway. Some posts on here say you have to pull the engine up a little with a cherry picker. Why? It looks like a simple drop.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: 1933 V8 Oil Pan Removal

on a 36 pickup it is a major job, remove genarator , fan upper and lower rad hoses fuel pump stand, choke and throttle rods, unbolt motor mounts, dip stick tube unbolt wish bone and loosen up u bolts for front axle and pull wish bone down as far as you can get. i am sure i left out something , this job took me 4 hrs to do and about half the time to get back in. i would twink a a 34 is not much different then a 36, oh also you need to pick up the motor as far as you can get it

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
rjhink

I just had the oil pan off my '34 cabriolet, which should be similar if your '33 is a car rather than a truck. I didn't have to lift the motor. Jack up the front, put jack stands under the frame (up front near the bumper mounts) and lower the front axle as much as possible. Taking off the wheels can help get the axle lower.

Then, remove the starter as well as the radius arm ball-mount under the tranny. The lower half of the tranny-engine bolts need to be removed as well as one pan bolt near the starter that attaches the pan from above rather than below. Lowering the pan past the oil pump can be a hassle since there's not much space between the pump and the tranny, but lowering the rear of the radius rods helps. Then, to squeak the pan past the radius rods, you'll have to push them back up ... Unless you're doing this all on a lift.
rjhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Doug 845

I will be doing this on a lift in my own garage. I'm taking my time and want to get the car ready for the road next spring. How do I clean the screen? Do I have to remove it from the pump?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Daryl Middlebrook

Soak the screen in a pan of gasoline. Take it outdoors and light it off. That process will burn the oil out of the carbon that is in the screen. Then blow the screen out with compressed air and re-install.
Daryl Middlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
34billct

The oil pump screen is available part no. B-6623 from suppliers as it is used on model A and 32-36 v8's
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Capt Kirk

What are the symptoms of a dirty screen...low oil pressure? Do you have a reason to believe you're screen might be dirty? If so, you should clean it...if not, this seems like a lot of work to solve a problem that might not exist. Is the oil drain plug anywhere close to where the screen is? Could a person take the plug out and inspect the screen before going through all that work. HD sells a little fiber-optic camera inspection tool that can give a person a view inside cylinders and other restricted places. It's not that much and it's on my tool wish list.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
HD sells a little fiber-optic camera inspection tool...
I think that's not Harley but Harbor Freight. I want one, will see if it isn't already at the shop!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Capt Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I think that's not Harley but Harbor Freight. I want one, will see if it isn't already at the shop!
I think Harbor Freight sells them too but I was talking about Home Depot. They also sell digital thermometers but I haven't pulled the trigger on either yet. A good thermometer from the Depot was around $75 and I think the fiber optic camera was a bit over $100. Might be getting time for me to put my Christmas list together!!
Empty wallet
Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Capt Kirk

They have several but here's one. I am not...and never will be affiliated with HD!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...3-20/203361193
Empty wallet
Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Doug 845

I never took the pan off the car and since I am replacing the entire exhaust system - I figured it would be a good time to pull the pan while I have it up on a lift. I am trying to rule out any possible problems that might arise when I put it on the road next year. I've owned this car for 30 years and have never took it off. I think its time to have a peek.