Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
'36 5W

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

I've been looking into music source alternatives, too, but find I need a teen "advisor"
to navigate all the choices. While iRadio sounds great, especially because it's free,
the down side I read in reviews is "a lot of advertising", so there are still the usual trade-offs....

(Really like your retro man-cave, although for some reason it seems to have a Merc.
theme...)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #22
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

(Really like your retro man-cave, although for some reason it seems to have a Merc.
theme...)

And the reason is......The Cougar is my wifes'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2877[1].jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SSCN1130.JPG (51.2 KB, 23 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #23
Merc Cruzer

Just wondering if anyone out there has identified the "green wire" in any of the other tube radios used by Ford of Mercury?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Kahuna

Merc;
I have a question:
If your car is 12 volts, would it be possible to somehow hook up a USB cable so that the
I-Pod could then be charged as it's operating?
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #25
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Merc;
I have a question:
If your car is 12 volts, would it be possible to somehow hook up a USB cable so that the
I-Pod could then be charged as it's operating?
Thanks
Jim
Jim,

My 53 Merc is still 6 volt Pos Ground. If your car is 12 volt, the attached youtube video should answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPjrDIu3hYY

Thanks,

Roy
Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #26
1949f1

Thank you for this it works amazing. And it certainly is amazing to be listening to dean Martin in my 53 merc. Do you know where I could find a tuning coil? Or parts in general?
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
Thank you for this it works amazing. And it certainly is amazing to be listening to dean Martin in my 53 merc. Do you know where I could find a tuning coil? Or parts in general?
Try this forum, they were a great help for me:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/inde...3be6f0ccd2e397
Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #28
Kahuna

Thanks so much, Roy
I'll check it out
Jim
Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #29
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Try this forum, they were a great help for me:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/inde...3be6f0ccd2e397
Thanks that's exactly what I've been looking for
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

For those of you that have a 1955 Ford with a radio (I had one in the 50's room on a shelf and it works), I had some time so I thought it might interesting to know which wire to cut to add the jack. The yellow wire with the red arrow is the same as the green wire in the 53' Merc Radio. When I took the cover off the radio the yellow wire and the black wire next to it were wound together. I still use the old portable Sony Discman player for testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7102 (2).jpg (62.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7104.jpg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7105.jpg (40.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7125 (3) arrow.jpg (60.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7123.jpg (80.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 01-09-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
I've been looking into music source alternatives, too, but find I need a teen "advisor"
to navigate all the choices. While iRadio sounds great, especially because it's free,
the down side I read in reviews is "a lot of advertising", so there are still the usual trade-offs....

theme...)
This is how I listen to music in my car (or shop). http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CHRG....html?tp=63331
This portable speaker will mate with your I-phone. I use Rhapsody which allows you to select the type of music you want. You can go with the "free" membership which, does have an add every so often (but not bad) or pay $7/ month for "adfree".
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Radio? Who needs a radio?! Install a set of Smitty's, roll down the window and listen to some real music!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #33
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Radio? Who needs a radio?! Install a set of Smitty's, roll down the window and listen to some real music!!
40 Deluxe,

I agree totally, but on those days when it is raining or like today with it is only 8 degrees outside, it serves as a nice distraction. But on the other days, when I unzip the rear window, roll down all 4 windows and drop the top and am one with the road.....

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 01-11-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #34
Kahuna

Fantastic thread Roy.
Thanks so much.
Now, if only I could get an Iphone & learn how to use it, ha ha
In my car, 32 Tudor, I try to hide everything that might be considered modern:
I have 4 speakers behind the kick panels & rear panels.
I use a Sony Radio (no antennae, just for the IPOD) that has a tray that holds the
Ipod. Totally unseen, remote activated and works great.
But for my 56 Ford, I'm going to use your method.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #35
Tim Ayers

I'm no electronics expert, but I'd really double check the voltage going to the USB for charging. Most tubes (I think Ford used one 6V6 power tube in their radios) use high plate voltages in order to heat the tube.

Most IPods, IPhones, etc. use very little and I'd assume these units could get fried easily if too much juice goes to them. I'd think more of an issue with a car with a generator v. an alternator, but double check everything.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #36
Merc Cruzer

Tim,

Thanks for the update, but I have been using my Samsung android since the modification and haven't have any issues with it. I do not hook it up until the car is running.

If you want to install a surge protector in the circuit you might want to read through this posting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-11255137

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-16-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #37
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Tim,

Thanks for the update, but I have been using my Samsung android since the modification and haven't have any issues with it. I do not hook it up until the car is running.

If you want to install a surge protector in the circuit you might want to read through this posting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-11255137
Merc Cruzer:

I would defer to you on this since you've been fooling around with this hook up. I'm talking more about a USB hook up to charge vs. the line in to play.

It sounds like a good idea to include some sort of surge protector to keep these new fangled items safe from voltage spikes.

Love the idea and solves a bevy of problems with stereo hook ups.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #38
Merc Cruzer

Tim,

USB is a little more sophisticated than this installation. I have found that the phone will last throughout the day. I have created a little power backup, that I use when I get to the location for a show or cruse that sits on the cooler between the chairs. It powers the phone and the bluetooth speaker. It is noting more than a weed wacker battery with a lighter adapter, but it good for at least 12 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7316.jpg (92.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7317.jpg (85.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #39
Rustedjunk

Thanks for sharing this.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #40
Merc Cruzer

Rustedjunk,

Thank you. When we go to the cruses, we have gotten to know the the people in the adjoining popups and they now bring their Bluetooth speakers and we create a private sound system with the "classics" for all.

The radio jack in the car get used every time I am in it.