Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
forddaughter

Default my dad's 53

a bit melancholy ....my dad's 53 pick em up is off to a new home mon or tues. i had a buyer, then the auction house owner found a buyer who'd pay more....so even though I have to pay her a fee, I am happy that the truck will be going to someone who wants to get her back on the road again. I hope she does my daddy proud & not too much re-restoral needs to be done.
forddaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
53F100Jeffie

Default Re: my dad's 53

forddaughter,
I know how you feel. My father died ten years ago. He wanted me to have his 35 5 window coupe. A high school friend came out to visit from out west and while here, they thought maybe it would be better if he took the car as a retirement project. I had two young kids, and at the time did like old Fords, but that was what he wanted, not me. He cried when I told him I was okay with selling it to his friend. Before he died I told him i was going to buy a 1948-50 Ford pick up truck, which I did. After having one, I had to have more. I now have 49 Panel truck, which needs a total restoration, and a 1953 F100 pick up truck that I drive quite frequently.
I will probably see that car again some day, but I enjoy driving my trucks around my little town in the summer time. I guess what I'm saying is take the money and do something to make yourself happy. You have the memories of your dad and the truck. I have some great pictures of my dad and his car.
Some day my trucks will be restored, but I enjoy going out opening the garage door and heading down the road. My 53 came form an estate sale, so I was benefiting from someone's sorrow, but as others have said, we are just caretakers of these beautiful vehicles of the past.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0185.jpg (46.3 KB, 73 views)

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
forddaughter

Thanks Jeff....it's comforting somehow to know that someone understands!!
Lisa
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
53F100Jeffie

Lisa,
No problem. I am sure others feel the same way I do, they just didn't write it here.
Jeff

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Clem Clement

Tough one. Sounds like she has a new home. I had to sell my beloved 40 Merc after Daddy passed in 1956. After my cousins played with, it it moved around and now is in another mans' garage in Dayton, Ohio. Fully restored. I , so dearly, miss them both
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
forddaughter

It is so tough. half the people I talk to tell me to sell the last car: the 66 mustang ragtop--emberglow w/pony interior, and the other half agree I should haul it up here, and drive it a bit before selling her. I need to figure out logistically if I can afford it. but I need to decide soon as they will start foreclosure on their house soon if I don't find a buyer for that.....
Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
B-O-B

i had a buyer, then the auction house owner found a buyer who'd pay more....

Sure glad I wasn't the guy to be the first buyer, I'd be a bit unhappy

Did you offer the first buyer the car @ that price? There may be more to this story than what is printed. You didn't state if the first buyers deal was a solid deal.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
forddaughter

it was. and I did. ....just was still more than he wanted to pay. he also offered me storage for the mustang til I can transport her. I was completely upfront about everything.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
jim1932

In my opinion it isn't that they want to pass on the specific car... it is that they want to pass on the enjoyment they found in the old fords. At the end of the day it is a pile of cold metal. If you are hanging onto something because you think your Dad would want you to (rather than because you want to), take a bunch of photos to remember by then let it go. I can't imagine any parent wanting to pass on a burden.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Shadetree

I am so fortunate! I have a son and grandson that is into old cars as much as I am. No doubt I have collected more junk than they want and I need to sell off before I pass on so they won't think they have to hang on to it because Dad owned it.

Shadetree
Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Scott H

I owned a retail Mustang parts store and restoration business for a number of years. Of all the customers who walked in the door not a single one ever said they were happy they sold mom's old mustang or dad's old mustang.
On the other hand, time after time I heard "I wish I still had that car"

Guilty of it myself, I was restoring a 65 coupe for myself. Daughter's boyfriend was visiting the shop and saw it in the paint booth. Fell in love with it and I agreed to sell it to him after I finished it. I never really got a chance to drive it. I made him agree I had first right of refusal. About 10 years later he wanted to sell and I bought it back at our previously agreed deal of "if I buy it back I pay the same as you paid".
Wonderful little car, was still in great condition. I took it to shows, cruise nights, and around town. Kept it for a year and had my fun with it and finally I could say I was satisfied and sold it.

Keep the 66 convertible, at least for year to allow you to get it out of your system before you sell it.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
forddaughter

Scott, what store was that? My dad's buddy Bob T owned Mustang of Chicago til he sold it a long time ago.....and are you part of the Chicago Vintage mustang club?? I just joined- it's free- and part of the club actually went to the chgo auto show yesterday. I also signed up for the Vintage Mustang Forums as Lisa66emberglow-- and we also have a 95GT in that funky purple blue color-i forget the name! but we got that at Cotton Ford on North ave..... my husband wont part with it even though it just sits in our drive....and I have a 95 Lightning that i'm trying to find a buyer for.... and I drive a 2002 escape with only 40K miles on it! the only anomaly is my husband 96 dodge Ram.

I have to get someone to get it running, and put in for bids from Ubid. i want to get her up her and use it for this summer. I just need to find a place to put her til winter ends. I don't have room in my drive--it's a one lane driveway, and no access to the backyard.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Scott H

I started working for Bob in 1990 as his Restoration shop manager. After a few years he decided he wanted to close that location and we parted company. I worked in a regular collision shop for about 6 months. Christmas time, Bob and I were talking and he asked how the new job was, I said the work is fine but the shop owner is an a-hole..didn't honor his promises of commission and bonus. I asked Bob how things were at the Mustang store and he said 'okay' except he had to fire his parts guy. A month later I was working for Bob again as his parts manager. Another few years go by and Bob is looking to retire, so I stepped up and bought the business in 1997. I kept it the next 7 years and eventually sold to one of my customers who still is running the shop in the same location its been in since the early 1980's.
I still have a 66 GT coupe and a 95 GT conv.
Would love to help you any way I can when you get your 'glow pony' to the Chicago area. I don't have a shop anymore but might be able to help somehow.
When I'm not on FordBarn I can usually be found at MustangsandMore.com with the same login..Scott H
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
joe plumber

It's always tough to part with things that your loved ones thought highly of .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
forddaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
It's always tough to part with things that your loved ones thought highly of .
it most certainly is, especially when selling them at estate sale means, they charge low prices for most of it, then take their 35% off the top. bleh. it was just too much for me to do my self. esp 1200 miles away. made it hard to choose what I would try to sell on my own.....

I like your truck Joe....very nice.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
forddaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Would love to help you any way I can when you get your 'glow pony' to the Chicago area. I don't have a shop anymore but might be able to help somehow.
When I'm not on FordBarn I can usually be found at MustangsandMore.com with the same login..Scott H

thanks scott! I will check out the Mustangsandmore. I won't have time to keep up with it all.....but hey. I joined the chicago vintage club and the vintage mustang forum. I'm still on the lightning owners club forum until I finally find a buyer for my Lightning.

in June there is a Mustang show at the park district in which my house is located, the Salt Creek Rural Park District -I think it's ON Father's Day at Twin Lakes
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
flatred53

Hi

I recognize this story a little from my buying; I worked in Phoenix 03 and was looking for a F1 or F100. Found one on E-bay in Carlsbad, drove down and have a look at the truck. It had been outside a hose for six years, cats was living in the truck. I bought it and when I was picking it up I got to talk to the owners daughter who lived in the house, the seller on E-bay was just some kind of professional seller making the affair. I told her I was to fix the truck and drive it as it looked, sadly I lost her address. I told her I’m planning to take the truck with me to Sweden when going home, it had bee fun to seen a couple of picks of the truck here in Sweden.

As I bought it in Carlsbad,

When I drove it in Phoenix,

Now in Sweden,

Lars
flatred53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
forddaughter

Nice pics Lars, Thanks for sharing. I just hope that the new owner loves the truck as much as my daddy did too.