Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
kp

Default Head light reflectors

Dont drive my Model A much at night, headlight reflectors were in bad shape,tried using allum. foil ,didnt help much,so ordered new reflectors (foreign made) they are smaller in depth, ie bulb socket with spring and screw that allows bulb to be retracted or extended isnt long enough to allow this function,guess the fix will be to purchase a longer spring and screw any body else had this problem ? How did you fix it? the reflectors are ok otherwise,havent tried 'em out at night yet.I do have higher wattage bulbs.Staying as original as I can afford to.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Head light reflectors

I think some of the vendors offer longer screws and springs just for this problem.

Check with Brattons or Bert's.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
700rpm

I have read, though I can't remember where, that chrome plated reflectors are not as good as silver, because the chrome reflects light at a lesser rate and at different angles than silver. Also, that repro reflectors, in addition to being chromed, are not engineered for proper reflection. Maybe some Barn expert here can confirm or refute that.

I don't know if this helps much, but I think it's better to get original Ford reflectors and have them resilvered. Yes, that's expensive, and you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you to see at night.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Try this place. Uvira Inc. 1-541-956-6880 There in Merlin,Or..Better than chrome and 99% close to resilvering. And dosen't tarnish. Space age tecknowlgy here.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

700 RPM, you are correct. Get the job done right by having the original reflectors resilvered. Brinkman's does it, 651-698-8577.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
RHD

I still consider re-silvering is the best option. If the reflectors have been poorly made and the curvature is not parabolic, you are wasting your time and money.
Re the spring adjusting set you purchased. There is a difference in length of the screw from 28/29 to 30. You may have been sent the wrong set for the year of your car. The 28/29 has the longer screw.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

If you want great reliable headlights it all starts with all original parts.

You need to learn how to properly focus the headlamps. If you do not then you loose a lot of light in the trees and other places you do not need it. Plus you will blind on coming traffic.

My brother found that poor silver on reflectors and the Australian made halolgen headlamp bulbs make enough light to run 55 MPH at night in the back woods streets with no street lamps. All this using a stock generator.

A side note:

I was watching for single bulb reflectors on ebay. I have seen sets of 2 bulb reflectors with decent silvering sell at reasonable prices. I ended up with a pair of single bulb reflectors that I hope should just polish up for $8 at Hershey this past year.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote