Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: What's your favorite- Model T, Model A, Early V-8
Model T Ford &body style 4 5.33%
Model A Ford & body style 53 70.67%
Early V-8 Ford & body style 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default T- A- or early V-8 which do you prefer

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 12-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: T- A- or early V-8 which do you prefer

Early V8 would be my preference. I had ("in a land, far far away") a 32 5-W and a 40 coupe, both with olds engines, stock looking and stock drivelines. BUT today they are out of my price range and why I have my 31 tudor. This should be an interesting thread when more chime in.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Roadster62

My 1912 T Touring. Some time in the early 1960's the owner gave me my first "Old Car" ride in it, it left a lasting impression. Neat car and an owner that saw that a 12 year old kid must have been asking the right questions. I finally bought the car in 1983, turns out it was restored in 1950, and still looks good from 20 feet. I haven't had it out in over 12 years, but will next year when it turns 100.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

Model "A"s my first would be the first one I got 1929 Town Sedan, Murry body with twin side mounts. Second goes to a 1929 CCPU second one I got. Third is the one I have now, 1929 CCPU Model AA 188-A plateform. This makes my sixth Model A. The first 5 Model A I was 15 to 18 years of age. I am now 55, you never lose the cars and trucks you love. There all good.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
zzlegend

Have a 27 roadster i am currently working on with a 32 chassis and a 46 flathead. Like the looks of the 27 roadsters. Have another complete and straight 27 turtle deck and now shopping for another straight body to build another on an A frame and banger motor. Gotta love these old fords.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
.......and why.

If you could have your pick of any ONE of these three but NOT models from each what would it be? What's your #1 all time favorite? Why do you prefer that pick over one of the other two? Parts easier to get? Initial cost? Driveability? Durability? Past experience/memories? Easier to service at home by yourself? Local clubs or friends into that particular car?

Let's hear your viewpoints we're curious..........
You should create a poll on each of the forums to make it easier to see where everybody stands.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
redmodelt

Model T, it's about as simple as you can get. It's a connection to what my Grandparents had, the shop my Grandfather ran etc. You can still get into Model T's for a fairly low investment and parts aren't way out of range yet.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Peter J

Model A. Had one in highschool. Lots of memories. I lusted over a "big kid's" 40
Ford Coupe but was happy with my little A.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
CarlG

My first vehicle was a 31 AA 280A, The second was a 31 Fordor. Fast forward 50 years, and now I have the truck at the left.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
roccaas

A's:

Cheaper to run than V8's
Cheaper parts
Can get down the road more easily than the T, easier to drive, etc.

But a 34 3 Window would be pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
sturgis 39

I like all three categories. They are all cute and easy to work on. I have the least experience with the model "T". The older kids in the neighborhood and my dad liked the model "A" and the v/8. I remember some of the neighbors complaining about the hoodlums junk cars. The one they complained the most about was a 50 Ford with a flathead six. The hoodlums used it for racing on the frozen lakes. I was lucky to grow up in the old neighbor hood and at the time period. Today the hoodlums and old cars are all gone.It looks like a normal neighborhood today. My brothers and our friends played outside year around. We were always building or play with something. Now you do not see kids outside.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
Steinar

'32 Ford is my favorite. Reason is good memories. My dad bought his '32 Ford model 18 Victoria coupe in the late fifties, before he got married. He kept on driving this car after marriage, and he took home three sons from birthing hospital with this car over the years, me in 1960, as the first one. I was about 10 years old when he decided to sell, actually it was bought by the local Ford dealer, even though my dad didn't buy an other car back from them. We had until then the oldest car in the street, and probably town, and other kids tried to make fun with me and my brothers because of this. That just gave me even more fun. All of'em had cars with half engines only! I really had feelings for this car, and me and my 2 year younger brother tried as hard as we could to prevent my dad from selling. But we couldn't win this fight. For my father this was just an old car. He was facing bigger problems every time he asked for parts at the local Ford store, and he realized time had come for finding something newer. He ended up with a '57 Hillman Minx. His first car not being american built. His first car was a 1928 Rugby Pheaton.
The Vicky is still alive, now being a well built silver metallic hot rod in Sweden.
Steinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It's a personal thing, I like the look of the A's. The T's, while I would keep one if given to me, just look to flimsy to me.

The V8's are a little to new looking.

This is not to say this is a love it hate it thing. I love all the cars that are covered by fordbarn and read and even post on the other forums, the A is just a little more to me. I guess that why I post mostly on this forum.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

The A is my favorite. I have allways had or been around one. I love all old car`s and have had many.in fact i traded a 40 buick centuty and a 50 roadmaster to my first A a 1930 deluxe coupe. i know it was a bad trade for me ,but i got what i wanted. I have 3 A`s now and have to build 2 more.........one for each grandchild im making A lovers out of all of them.Even my wife has accepted second place to my A`s long live the banger`s.....Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
TomW

My earliest memory of this truck is around 1960 when I was about 4 - Dad got it running in my uncles barn, then later riding around the yard at home with no floorboards! - I wasn't too keen on that, but it didn't stop me from climbing aboard! After he got it all together, I rode with him from Mass to NH in it - took about 4 hours - got one flat tire! Been riding in it ever since. So I guess that makes me partial to pickups - although the phaetons have real class.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
dan

I'd love to have a T. When I started researching an old car to buy, that was at the top of my list. I still want one, someday (not that I don't love my 31 coupe!)

However, I'm a middle-age, working-class guy with a mortgage and two kids, so whatever I bought would have to be affordable and reliable enough to commute in. Since a T can't really keep up even with street traffic--at least not the streets I have to drive on--and the V-8s I saw were too expensive, an A it was/is.

I drive it to work (30 mile round trip) four days a week and to the donut shop on the weekends. I love my A and hope to keep it a long time. But if I ever come into money (or maybe in 25 years when I retire) I plan to buy a T.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
37 Coupe

I have not had a Model A since 1975,lots of early V8 sine 1971,the one I think is the most beautfull of all,1931 Deluxe Phaeton one I have never had and love.