Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
JOES31

Default Which carburetor is best

What carburetors do most of you run on your 29 to 32 A's? I switched out a Zenith for Tiliston and it runs so much better. More power, no fuel leaks and no popping on deceleration. I think the Zenith was a new reproduction that was put on about 10 years ago. Cleaned and reassembled it. It just didn't seem to run right. Found a Tiliston cleaned it and it runs much better.

Is the Tiliston a better carb to run on the A's?
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
buddyholley19

Default Re: Which carburetor is best

I got a rebuilt zenith of my 29 Tudor. Purchased from Berts . my car runs great.
buddyholley19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
KenCoupe

I am running a Zenith. I had a Tillitson on for a while and liked it. However, being pot metal I think the Tillitson warped and no longer ran well. I put the Zenith back on and it runs well. I don't have any problems with the Zenith in terms of popping or fuel leaks. A couple of guys in our club run Marvel carbs and really like those.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Drive Shaft Dave

A Zenith properly set with the right jets will be fine , although a tillotson is a very good cab also. At renners corner you could get jets calibrated to your needs,which I am going to do soon. I think the cost is about 38.00.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A properly rebuilt carb of any make will make a great carb to use. Properly operating carbs will not leak, pop, get poor mileage etc.
I's only when an owner gets something built correctly that he thinks the old was designed poorly.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
A properly rebuilt carb of any make will make a great carb to use. Properly operating carbs will not leak, pop, get poor mileage etc.
I's only when an owner gets something built correctly that he thinks the old was designed poorly.
I don't know Mike, I suspect compared to more modern carbs from the 50s-60s the Zenith is pretty lacking.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
I don't know Mike, I suspect compared to more modern carbs from the 50s-60s the Zenith is pretty lacking.
I just assumed that he was talking about Carbs for the stock intake model A.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
RonC

The original zenith is more reliable however the tillotson will idle better which means it atomizes the fuel better.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Everyone has their favorite, but, most use Zeniths.
The order I tend to prefer is
1. Marvel
2. Tillotson [ but can be troublesome]
3. Zenith
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
JOES31

If I buy a Zenith rebuild kit for the Zenith it should run better provided I rebuild it properly? I can' see that it would be any harder than setting up a 4bl Carter or Holley. Would the complete rebuild kit that Snyders has be Ok to use?

Again....new to A's.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
christian

the jets are questionable at best on these rebuild kits. If you buy them it would be best to flow test them, if no good solder and drill for correct flow.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOES31 View Post
What carburetors do most of you run on your 29 to 32 A's? I switched out a Zenith for Tiliston and it runs so much better. More power, no fuel leaks and no popping on deceleration. I think the Zenith was a new reproduction that was put on about 10 years ago. Cleaned and reassembled it. It just didn't seem to run right. Found a Tiliston cleaned it and it runs much better.

Is the Tiliston a better carb to run on the A's?
I have ran zenith and tilly and others in our club have ran both also, Tilly has always been the top dog . Tilly is easier to adjust and idel is better also the throttle response is always quicker. 2000 to 2003 ran these and stayed with tilly even during great race in 2003. August of 2003 changed to Webber and never went back. 29 roadster I always like the tilly better it stays on this car. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Its a must to install a good set of flow tested jets on these carbs when rebuilding. The jet set from ALL the jobbers are garbage and not proper. Buy a set from renners and use a viton float valve/ needle seat...if your throttle shaft has play install an oversize or it will suck air and or hang up..
http://rennerscorner.com/carburetor.html
Link for renners
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
BlueSunoco

[B]Joe, you can rebuild your Zenith and it will be fine, the trick is to get PROPERLY flowing jets the repops are pretty poor. You can rebuild your's by soldering the tips and resizing with an orifice bit. Rex Reheis put out a good book on this, or you can buy the DVD from any of the parts suppliers 'Carburetors and Carbohydrates' is very good.Also the DVD will explain the idle circuits and the acceleration fuel circuits, they tell you to drill out the brass plugs to get to them but I would try cleaning them out first with a fine wire before I did that? That's to make sure that they aren't blocked.

Also, buy the books from MAFCA or the parts suppliers, that Les Andrews wrote on repairing your Model A they are helpful.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
mrcorvair

I just rebuilt 2 Zenith carbs. A club member has a flowmeter. I bought 2 kits from Brattons. We flow checked all the jets in both kits and they were dead on. Of course this might have been a fluke but I wouldn't hesitate to use these kits again.
mrcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
P.S.

Or, just get a fully rebuilt and tested Zenith carb from Bert's in Denver. They do flow test theirs also. Then, the whole thing is tested as a unit and must pass before being shipped to you. Just bolt it on and go, worry-free!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
buddyholley19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Or, just get a fully rebuilt and tested Zenith carb from Bert's in Denver. They do flow test theirs also. Then, the whole thing is tested as a unit and must pass before being shipped to you. Just bolt it on and go, worry-free!
That's what I did my car has never ran better
buddyholley19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
rocket1

I run with whatever it left the factory with,just rebuild it!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOES31 View Post
If I buy a Zenith rebuild kit for the Zenith it should run better provided I rebuild it properly? I can' see that it would be any harder than setting up a 4bl Carter or Holley. Would the complete rebuild kit that Snyders has be Ok to use?

Again....new to A's.
A Zenith is not the easiest carb to rebuild. There are lots of small passages that can get clogged up. Tilly however is very easy to rebuild. I've done 25+ Tilly's.

https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexa...ome/modelacarb
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Smurkey

Bought a rebuild for my Zenith after running a Tillotson, had my 10 year old boy assemble it for me and put it on. Haven't even had to adjust anything...ran great right away. Certainly got lucky though I'm sure...probably not the norm.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote