Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
TommyCoupe

Default Rumble lid fitting

I was searching around for tricks on installing the rumble lid. In this thread, it mentions knurled spacers. Where can I get them ?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=rumble
I am having a heck of a time getting my rumble lid to fit. It hits the panel below deck lid. I believe it's supposed to hinge forward and clear this panel, but it seems to want to drop down, right on top of it.
I also think my panel below deck lid is the wrong size. It is 9 1/2 inches tall. The original appears to be 9 3/8. I think I could use that 1/8 inch.
Does anyone have a recommendation for altering the panel below deck lid?

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Rumble lid fitting

Details, your answer requires more details!

What is original and what is repro with your car in the rear.
Rumble lid
lower rear panel
hinges

See my website rumble lid stuff to start with.

There are many interesting variables. If it is all original Ford then you really have things messed up. My guess is you have a bunch of repro parts. Repro hinges are smaller in ALL dimensions and that will mess up how they locate.
The repro lower panel is straight across and may not have the holes on the sides drilled in the right place. It should droop and be shorter at the edges. To get my repro lower panel to work with my repro lid I moved the lower rear panel down a bit with some creative adjustments. Then again, my car is a lot of creative adjustments by the nature of what I started with in the first place.

I hope this gets you started.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
TommyCoupe

Rumble lid is original, but has new hinges installed on it. The hinges didn't fit too well, but one of the old hinges was bent so i had to replace them.

The lower rear panel is a repro. This part has been difficult to work with since day 1. It didn't even screw onto the lower rear cross member correctly.

I have been spending a lot of time on this part of the car, and haven't come close to getting it right yet. It was 25 degrees out in my workshop this morning, so I didn't want to spend much time on it today.

Tommy-
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

As I mentioned in the post you linked, if you order these square spacers from a new parts vendor, you will be very disappointed. They are too thin and do not have the waffle pattern that affords them the necessary grip. I bought a chunk of sheet steel, cut to size, drilled the right size hole, and made serrations in the surface with a cut off wheel. A $5 investment and a half hour of my time yielded washers that cannot be told from original, especially after they are sandwiched in between the rumble hinge and bracket. I don't remember what gauge steel I used, but somebody here may have that answer.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
TommyCoupe

I can see the knurled impressions on the Rumble hinge brace. Wish I still had those parts.
I think my biggest problem is the panel below deck lid. Comparing it to the original (which is in horrible shape) I can see that it will need some adjustment.

Tommy-
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Seriously consider getting a good set of original hinges. Repro hinges are horrible and do not fit in any direction. They are just short in any direction and are fragile- do not put a side load on them. The do not bend, they break.
I know that may be a lot of work, it may be less in the end.

How is the fit of the rumble lid to the sides?

I had to make the holes where the hinge point bolts went through a little larger in one direction. This was needed to get over alignment to work. I used repro everything on a messed up body so it was bound to be mess. Took some time to figure out the mechanics make it all work together. I saw the too close fit on the lower panel and my only solution was to move it down some. Dremel grinders are good for something.

Took a lot of putting it together and taking it apart to try different things till I got a good compromise. Yes, my car does not line up super nice back there. But everything on my car was tweaked. Any less then a slant cabriolet and it would not be worth the work.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
TommyCoupe

The rumble lid fits the sides pretty nicely.

I pulled the repro panel below deck lid off today and temporarily put the original back in. What a difference. It's going to be a lot of work for me to get this piece correct, but i'll get it. This is definitely my problem.

I also put in the rumble lid rubber stops today. Seems that the new ones are too tall. Had to trim them down. For some reason I can't upload a picture of the new one, but the old one is definitely shorter.

I also put the latch striker in today. This part is made in Taiwan and the nuts are actually 10mm. Something just deosn't feel right about putting metric nuts on the A.

Tommy-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original_rumble_lid_stop.jpg (57.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by TommyCoupe; 11-25-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: picture failed to upload
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Hunter

I would call Bert's in Denver and see if he has a set of original hinges and perhaps even the hardware. I agree with Kevin completely on this having once tried the reproduction hinges myself. You will be much time ahead trying to line it up.

When I got to the final alignment stage I had my neighbor outside the car checking alignment as I moved the adjustments on each side. I was inside the car in the rumble area with my tools and a light. Much easier than the iterative process of doing it by yourself.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote