Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rivets Everywhere

Lookin' great!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
TommyCoupe

Well I started riveting this weekend.

Once you have the right combination of tools, it's very easy, and comes out really nice.

I bought a 3X rivet gun that came with rivet sets and bucking bars. I also purchased a waffle tool to replicate the Model-A rivets. It's similar but not exactly the same. It's more like a belgian waffle than an ego.

I use the 3/16 rivet set that came with the gun, but installed it in an air hammer. The air hammer is only used to hold the rivet set.
Then I use the rivet gun to drive the waffle tool on the opposite side.

I bought a bucking bar to be used in place of the rivet set and air hammer, but it doesn't have the same shape as the rivet head, so it ended up reforming it, and I didn't like it.

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Cider Mill

I have only rivited the arms on the brake cross shafts so far, but I used the air gun with the Bratton's tool. I think it came out great. But Brent, I am interested to hear why not use it on the subrail? I need to rivet my running board brackets next. Will the air gun work OK there?
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
SSsssteamer

When I riveted the subrails on our phaeton, I had to turn my air pressure way down to do a perfect rivet job with my air chisel gun. Too much air pressure was too quick and drove the rivet too far into the sub rail. Take it slow and easy with the corect air pressure and it will look just fine. I had all of the special air rivit tools for my air chisel gun. It sure would help if someone could help you with the bucking of the rivets. I had to do mine by myself, and so some of them had to be done over again. It was hard to air rivet at the correct angle and to buck the rivet at the same time.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #25
TommyCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I had to do mine by myself, and so some of them had to be done over again. It was hard to air rivet at the correct angle and to buck the rivet at the same time.
Agree.

One of my 3 sons was helping me, and it would be almost impossible to do some of the rivets alone.

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
Terry, NJ

LOL It's gonna be a lot more than you anticipated! But that will become obvious as you get deeper into it. Your either lucky or smart to start with a coupe. One of Ford's simpler designs! I started with a Town Sedan, one of the most complicated models and 4 doors besides. I just couldn't see what was involved.......Until! I've gone through a couple of "Depressive " periods wher I just couldn't bring myself to do anything significant on the car, so I painted lugnuts, measured the brake cable, put another coat of polyurethane on the wood work. You know, really small stuff till the fire in my belly re-lit itself. good luck and don't let it get you down!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCoupe View Post
The ones on ebay look like the tools are bent. Maybe they're supposed to be that way. I also saw one on Harbor Freight. But if you've ever bought tools from there, you probably know that they're usually not long lasting, durable tools. Might be good enough for this one project. Northerntool also has a nice package with bucking bars, but a little more than I'd like to spend, but probably worth it.

I'll work on a jig. I think you're right. I've been concerned about this body being out of shape, so I should probably start from a good solid jig. I saw a nice example of one at this website. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bodyassembly.htm
I think that's the way i'm heading. More work than I was originally anticipating, but I guess I should expect things like this, right..??

Tommy-
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote