Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
wright-47

Default What gas do i use

With our modern rotten poor gas is it better to use regular or premium? We have no ethanol in our premium. It will be used in a stock 1936 5 window with a rebuilt engine, built for unleaded. It will used in summer only as I live in the great north (Canada).
Also if I use regular gas (with ethanol) where can I find a fuel pump diaphragm that will stand up to the ethanol?
Thanks for the help in advance Ford Barn.
wright-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
RalphG

Default Re: What gas do i use

I've only ever burned plain old regular gas in old my old gas burners with no problems. I hear a lot of talk of gas problems in the U.S. but I don't think we have those problems here.
Forgot to mention I'm still running the 40+ year old fuel pump in my 52 Merc so they must have built them well in the 1970s. Not sure today's pumps will last that long.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Bubsyouruncle

With old Ford engines premium gasoline, which is designed to prevent knock in high compression engines is a waste of money. The old ones would run on the modern equivalent of 65, more or less. The lowest rating now is somewhere in the high 80's.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
tubman

In Minnesota, non-oxygenated (no alcohol) gasoline is readily available at most stations. Despite being a bit more expensive, I use it in all of my older cars because of one reason : it has a longer "shelf life" than gas with alcohol. Occasionally, I will be in a situation where I have to fill up with 10% ethanol. I have never experienced any performance problems using it (no pinging, knocking, or component deterioration) when doing this. However, a couple of times I left a vehicle sit in storage too long; I didn't have any problems with those that had non-oxygenated fuel, but in one instance, I had to drain the alcohol fuel and replace it with fresh gas to get the vehicle to run.

Just my personal experience. It seems to be really necessary only when periods of non-use exceed about a year.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #5
Drbrown

I would have to drive at least a half hour to reach a station that sells non-ethanol gas, which typically charges 30 - 40 cents more a gallon. No way. I use 10% ethanol 87 octane gas all the time and add ethanol killer and MMO to it. Have a new-ish tank, my pump and carb have been rebuilt with ethanol-resistant internals, and I insulated my gas lines to avoid vapor lock.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
paul2748

I run 10 % ethanol in all my cars (mostly middle grade) with no problems
Most fuel pumps today are made to be ok with 10 %. Check the seller of the pump to make sure it is.

NOS pumps most likely are not ethanol proof. There are rebuilders here that can supply or rebuild your pump to make it ethanol proof.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
Drbrown

Charlie NY on this forum rebuilds pumps and carbs. Always had good service with him.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #8
Motorhead6

Been using ethanol gas in my old cars for years. Used to have all kinds of problems with corrosion and deteriorating gaskets. Now I simply use Sta-Bil marine treatment for ethanol gas. No more problems. Use one ounce per 10 gallons of gas at every fill-up. That adds about 10 cents per gallon, but well worth it.

Using a higher grade of gas in a low compression engine is just a waste of money as Bubsyouruncle stated above. I've heard all kinds of claims over the years of how it improves performance and runs smoother; all bunk. High test gas simply burns slower to prevent detonation in high compression engines; that's all it does.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:21 AM   #9
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Charlie NY on this forum rebuilds pumps and carbs. Always had good service with him.
^^^^^^Ditto. Charlie NY is good people
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I run 10 % ethanol in all my cars (mostly middle grade) with no problems
Most fuel pumps today are made to be ok with 10 %. Check the seller of the pump to make sure it is.

NOS pumps most likely are not ethanol proof. There are rebuilders here that can supply or rebuild your pump to make it ethanol proof.
Paul the fuel pump is the least place for problems from ethanol gas.
This will eat the gas tank, the brass float for the senders disinagrate.
the rubber hoses and not the least but vapor lock.G.M.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
Teich

I use non ethanol gas #1. When I redone engine 1948 239 (52) engine used "corn" gas worked ok but garage always smelled sat for few days had to pump fuel to carb, exhaust smelled. Tried Premium fuel ran better no smell didn't evaporate as fast costs more I think its worth it. Live next door in Manitoba. Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
JimG

I am fortunate that the nearest gas station to my house has a separate pump just for non-ethanol gas. That's all I use in my old ford and all the other small engines (lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc...) I don't have problems.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
papanomad

always use non corn gas in all gas engines. if I wanted something that runs on corn I'll get a horse!
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
Ford coupe

Red face Re: What gas do i use

I n my stock 36 I use the 87 grade gas with ethanol and the only trouble is in the carb Cleaned it once and it was terrible dirty with crud in it like uncured silicone..Also after sitting for the winter here in Ontario Canada I will more than likely have a stuck inlet needle when I go to run it come spring..Car not driven much unlike my 55 crown which seems to handle the ethanol quite well as I only had to clean carb once ..So that is my dimes worth..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #15
paul2748

Never had any of the problems you mentioned. Been using 10 % for years in a 54 Ford, 56 Bird and a 64 Fairlane. My modified 48 (later trans and OHV engine) has been using it for over 20 years and no fuel related problems. Don't use any additives either. It's probably that crap like Sta-Bil that screws things up - it did it to my son's 41.

QUOTE=G.M.;1578586]Paul the fuel pump is the least place for problems from ethanol gas.
This will eat the gas tank, the brass float for the senders disinagrate.
the rubber hoses and not the least but vapor lock.G.M.[/QUOTE]
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote