Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
geoffreysherrah

Default 1933 Ford Pickup 4 cylinder

Need as much help as possible. Diagrams, pictures, assembly procedures, or any literature available. Restoration guidance, and ideas for rare part sourcing would also be helpful.

Last edited by geoffreysherrah; 06-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.
geoffreysherrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1933 Ford Pickup 4 cylinder

Pressure oiling was improved and the addition of the fuel pump pad modernized the engine over the basic Model A design but they are a lot alike. A counter-balanced crank shaft was welcome. There is some Model B information out there but there are also Ford service bulletins as well as the basic model B maintenance & operation publications that Ford put out from 1932 thru 1934. If you haven't seen it yet, this is a link to a good site for info. http://www.fordgarage.com/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Mart

Well, good luck with that. Geoffrey.

I'm not going to write a book for you on everything I can think of, not knowing what you actually need to know. Then for you to ask for it to be emailed, well, sorry, no go for me.

Tell, you what, if you really want help, plenty of people here that will be willing to offer any advice you need. But you will need to ask specific questions and make people feel like you will be bothered to check the forum and take part.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
redmodelt

You are asking a very broad question. There is lots of information out there on the B engine. Most everything except the radiator, engine and transmission(?) would be the same V8 or 4 and should be about the same for 1932-34 (I am only suggesting up to 34 because until 1941/2 it was the last of the 4s) for the pickups. Yes I am going to suggest starting by googling "1933 Ford pickup parts". Snyder's carries some Model B parts. If you have engine questions ask here or in the Model A section. If you have specific questions you might be better served asking them one at a time.
The V8 Service Bulletins or if you could find a copy of Victor Pages "The Ford V8 cars and trucks" would be a good start.

While having people send you info via email is good, if you post a question here on the forum, please read and respond so we know you are getting help. I am going to guess more people will post replies here then maybe to you via email.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I am not going to email you anything because I assume other people have already done so, get the hint. Everyone makes mistakes and I would feel better if other people had the chance to see what I was saying instead of giving the information to you directly, again get the hint. You might consider taking "emails preferred" out of your first post.

You should buy a copy of the book from the Early Ford V8 club that covers the 1933-34 Fords, https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound Note the book will be mostly about passenger vehicles but the drivetrain is the same. I don't have the book since I don't have a '33-'34 vehicle, if I did it would be the first thing I would buy. I have their book for the '32 Ford since that is what I have. "Renner's Corner" specializes in the Model B stuff so you might contact them to see what they have. If you post a few pictures you will generate more interest and result in more responses. Put an ad in the wanted section for the "rare" parts. They may be more common than you realize.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-21-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
DavidG

As Charlie has indicated, there are no truly 'rare' '33-'34 four-cylinder parts in North America, except perhaps for new old stock radiators and new or used engine steady rods.

As he admits not having the book, he would not be aware that the fours get the short shrift in the V8 Club's current '33-'34 book, as do the commercial vehicles such as your pickup.

Accordingly, I agree with the suggestions above that you pose specific questions as we'll gladly respond if they are reasonable in scope.

The photo below is of my Canadian '33 coupe. As Charlie indicated, the drivetrain is the same in commercial vehicles and passenger cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010076.jpg (71.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 06-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
geoffreysherrah

I’m not really used to navigating around the Ford Barn yet... I’m still fairly new.
Question 1: new wood block locations on frame?
Question 2: is there a good wiring diagram online?
Question 3: start button placement?
Question 4: gas line placement?

Parts list:
Amp gauge
Gas sending unit
Gas gauge

I have no idea how to post a picture yet

Last edited by geoffreysherrah; 06-21-2018 at 03:30 PM.
geoffreysherrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
DavidG

1 -- As I don't know with certainty I won't guess.
2 -- See below; while it is for a late '32 four, it was basically unchanged for '33-'34 fours.
3 -- The starter switch was attached to the steering gear box at the bottom of the steering column (see my photo above) and was activated with a rod through the floor board that had a mushroom-shaped end for foot operation (the rod isn't in the photo above).
4 -- The gas line was routed inside the chassis frame rail along the right side on the four-cylinder chassis.

You might want to be on the lookout for the '33-'34 commercial/truck four-cylinder owners manual on Amazon, ebay, etc. It has a red cover and while never reproduced to my knowledge, originals do turn up from time to time at reasonable prices.

The same goes for Service Bulletins, but those were reproduced. There's not much about fours in the '33 Service Bulletins, but there is in the '32 version, most of which is equally applicable to '33 and '34 fours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 492.jpg (79.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
Mart

Thanks for coming back, Geoffrey, now we have something to work with.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The fuel quantity system was likely the hydrostatic type. There was no electrical involvement with this system. I imagine the commercial pickup shared at least some of the components with the passenger cars in 1933. Now and then an Ammeter will show up but you have to be diligent about looking for one. The originals are worth looking for since most reproduction stuff for cars of that era aren't worth much. There should be photos on Google or Bing of this stuff so you will recognize the parts when you see them
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
DavidG

The gas gauge and ammeter were carryover '32 items. The sending unit for the hydrostatic gauge system was the same as the '33-'34 four-cylinder passenger car sending unit.

Click on 'Go Advanced' and scroll down to 'Manage Attachments' and the rest is pretty much self-evident when it comes to posting photos.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Fortunateson

David, thanks for sharing the pic of your '33. It brought back fond memories of a Model B engine with a C head that I got when I bought my '32 5 W from my uncle. Engine was professionally rebuilt back to standard dimensions with cylinder sleeves, welded and ground crank, etc. Came with two rebuilt trannies. I was going to restore the car in my uncle's name but when he passed away I decided to use an 8BA. Chasing down '32 parts is tough and expensive. I may start this fall finally. Took me two years of advertising to sell the engine and both trannies but made a profit on the deal that's going to help the, " oh my gawd", mild rodding. I know this is primarily a restoration forum but if anyone thinks I will be committing high treason I will give them my address so they can donate to a total restoration! LOL
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote