Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #41
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: How to remove old pour in gas tank liner

Xylol is also strong stuff for dissolving things like dried paint. Put a dry, hardened paint brush in a can of Xylol overnight and the brush will come out like new. I put a painted, greasy part in a 1/4" thick-wall polyethelyne container filled with 5 gallons of Xylol overnight and in the morning the container was empty and the garage stunk to high heaven. The Xylol ate its way right through the container! Most of it had evaporated and I had to keep the doors open with a fan going for a week to get rid of the smell.

I have not tried it on gas tank sealer but I would be surprised if it did not remove all the sealer very quickly.
Ventilate the area well and use a steel, glass or stone container.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #42
5window

Default Re: How to remove old pour in gas tank liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Xylol is also strong stuff for dissolving things like dried paint. Put a dry, hardened paint brush in a can of Xylol overnight and the brush will come out like new. I put a painted, greasy part in a 1/4" thick-wall polyethelyne container filled with 5 gallons of Xylol overnight and in the morning the container was empty and the garage stunk to high heaven. The Xylol ate its way right through the container! Most of it had evaporated and I had to keep the doors open with a fan going for a week to get rid of the smell.

I have not tried it on gas tank sealer but I would be surprised if it did not remove all the sealer very quickly.
Ventilate the area well and use a steel, glass or stone container.
Just remember that any of this stuff is toxic, a skin irritant, flammable, corrosive to your tissues, causes CNS depression and damage (Xylol is a benzene derivative) and generally , not nice stuff. Be VERY careful and use only with good protection and in a well ventilated area.

I guess, when when you're done and inspect the tank with a scope, are you really going to be certain that you've got it all cleaned out? Don't forget, also, the expense of disposing of the chemicals and flush. You might have to pay for hazardous waste disposal as well, if you are responsible.

Lots of effort no matter which road you take.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)