Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
dmengel

Default Correct 30/31 Color Scheme?

I am seeing pictures of some 30/31 vehicles with same upper and lower color body color and the accent only at the raised area of the belt. The color guides i see written claim that the upper and lower body are always a different color - unless all black. Was the same upper and lower body color only really available on 28/29 cars and these are not the correct 30/31 paint schemes?

Last edited by dmengel; 12-30-2022 at 10:45 PM.
dmengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Correct 30/31 Color Scheme?

Best to get the paint guide sold by the vendors if you do not wish to get the Restoration Guidelines. There were several color schemes and several different styles from 1928 into 1931.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
dmengel

Thanks Mike. My question was not about the color specifically, but about the arrangement of the colors on the body. Both the MARC and Model A Ford Club of America state that for 1930 and 1931 the "Lower Body" and "Upper Body" are different colors. This car has the lower and upper body the same color and basically a stripe around the belt. From these same color guides it seems to be more of a 1928/29 color scheme but i'm not sure. I actually prefer this kind of scheme for my 1930 tudor but i don't know if it is accurate.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Jim Baskin III Pa.

dmengel the The Model A Judging Standards and Restoration Guidlines and The Model A Ford Paint and Finish Guide are correct.Any variance from that would not be in line with the Guides
index.jpg

js.jpg
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
dmengel

Ok thank you both. I was just trying to avoid $90 between the two books to get a quick answer for a specific question. Looks like I'll be picking them up.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here is my 30 Tudor that I painted according to the Paint Guide.Penn college #7.jpg

#2 lamar station.jpg
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
dmengel

Thank you! Yours definitely matches what i've read. Beautiful car!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmengel View Post
Ok thank you both. I was just trying to avoid $90 between the two books to get a quick answer for a specific question. Looks like I'll be picking them up.

Where I think the confusion in this comes from is that the 28/29 did not have a lower body moulding along the sill and around the rear fender that are on the 30/31 body and are painted upper body color. In addition, you posted a picture that is non-authentically painted (-in many areas) that added to the confusion.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
dmengel

Thanks Brent! Your answer is what i was looking for exactly. This 30 car is painted more like a 28/29. I think the upper body (above the belt including the C pillar) would be all the same color except the window reveals if it were correct.

Just checking to be sure
Old 04-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
TerryH

You mean like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1F14B97-7D5E-4021-8A3D-DBC2B2FD2E2C.jpg (65.0 KB, 60 views)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmengel View Post
Thanks Mike. My question was not about the color specifically, but about the arrangement of the colors on the body. Both the MARC and Model A Ford Club of America state that for 1930 and 1931 the "Lower Body" and "Upper Body" are different colors. This car has the lower and upper body the same color and basically a stripe around the belt. From these same color guides it seems to be more of a 1928/29 color scheme but i'm not sure. I actually prefer this kind of scheme for my 1930 tudor but i don't know if it is accurate.

NO it does not say that all have different upper and lower colors! You need to see the specific body style and the specific color. There are about 8 pages of color charts in the RG&JS maybe someone will copy them all for you and post them here, I will give toy one example 1931 400-A;

Brewster green, Copa Drab, aqua green, ford Maroon and of course black, ALL these had the upper and lower body the same color. (RG&JS revision 2011 page 14-7.) the reveals are different on the non black and some even have the mouldings a different color.