Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
blucar

Default 35-36 Ford coupe anomaly

While doing some research through the 35-36 Ford Book I paused to look at the body drawings contained there-in.
Since I have a 5 window coupe, I took a hard look at the drawings of the 35-36 5 window coupes. My review picked up on the very obvious difference in the shape of the fenders, the 35 has a slight dip whereas the 36 is more tear drop shape. The difference in the rear fenders is very obvious when viewed from the rear.
The item that really caught my eye was the spare tire mount. The spare tire on the 35 is positioned much closer to the body compared to the 36. The 36 stands up at a greater angle compared to the 35.
In 1952 shortly after purchasing my '36 I installed '41 brakes on the car which required '41 wheels. In order to mount a '41 wheel on the spare tire carrier I had to use a '35 mount, in doing so I noted that the tire was much closer to the body. The tire being mounted closer to the body actually looked better. Many people asked me if I had altered the mount, I usually replied that I had not altered the mount. However, as time went by I honestly could not remember if I had altered the mount in order to give the tire a more custom look.
I could never figure out why my "August 36" tire cover would not lock onto the tire mount. It was not until 1961 when I changed the drums and wheels back to 39 drums, 36 wheels hub/caps that I discovered the lock extension in the 36 mount that accommodates the "Aug. lock"..
I also noted the difference in vehicle production numbers between Standard and Deluxe coupes, 78k standard vs 33/29k for Deluxe.. Very interesting because you very seldom see restored standard models. Hmmmmm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-36 Ford 5 win cpe.anom.1.jpg (43.3 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 35-36 Ford 5 win cpe.anom.2.jpg (42.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
danliveshere

Default Re: 35-36 Ford coupe anomaly

Bill Bravo that you still have your coupe. Amazing. I bought my 35 roadster in 1986 at the age of 19. It's currently being restored and paintwork will be finished next month.
As for the spare wheel mount, I never noticed that difference in the drawings or even on cars at events. Always something to learn about our cars!! Thanks for sharing. Dan.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. A few years ago, I went through that section carefully. Just picked it back up while reading this, one of my copies is right next to this PC. There were two different (cast) mounts in '35 and FIVE (stamped) in '36! I'm glad I'm not looking to find the right one for a project!

This photo is from page 22.

Interesting thing I picked up. Which mount would the '36 trunk models use? I guess I interpret it to mean that all Deluxes, whether Tudor or Fordor (with and without trunk) all used the same spare tire mount. Hmmm. Also I wonder about the '36 Convertible Sedan with trunk?

Here's a tip for all users of these books from the EFV-8CA. It's not related to the spare tire mount question here though. There are published corrections (errata) available online here! Grab this and fix your book! https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Ford_Book_Corrections.cfm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0179.jpg (71.6 KB, 100 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-30-2017 at 05:16 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
RalphM

Hmmmm, this means my 35 three window must have a 36 spare tire mount. As somewhere along the line it was converted to 1939 hydraulic brakes and wide five wheels. The spare is also a wide five.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (113.5 KB, 44 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (214.6 KB, 736 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
mercman from oz

Here is an enlarged picture of the three window coupe in question. It is hard to pick out what kind of Spare Tyre Mount is fitted? It seems that a lot of body colour is visible? Is it just attached by a single bolt on the 35 Bracket mounted upside down? Really need a closer shot of the spare wheel and mount.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM   #7
mercman from oz

Here are photos of two different 1936 Ford Spare Tyre Mounts. As you can see, they are completely different. All I know is that the Grey one is off a Phaeton. I don't know what Body Style the Green one is correct for? Maybe someone can identify it for me?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
RalphM

Apparently I need a new mount, once I pulled the hubcap I noticed this. It has a home made plate welded on top of the old mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2326.jpg (92.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Apparently I need a new mount, once I pulled the hubcap I noticed this. It has a home made plate welded on top of the old mount.
You saved me the trouble of writing up a review of your pix in your original posting. Enlarging your pix I came to the conclusion that the 35 mount had been altered with a plate attached to catch the wide bolt spacing.
I have read that the '36 tire mounts vary from body style to body style, however I have never noted any difference except for the "August Mount" which has an extension to catch the lock, allowing for the shallow center of the August cover... Through the years I have gathered up every August cover and mount I have ever encountered.. Pix attached
I would surmise that the 4 dr open cars, trunk or trunkless would have a different spare tire mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd 8-36 cov.1.jpg (45.3 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd 8-36 cov.2.jpg (43.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Aug covr.jpg (97.5 KB, 587 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
blucar

I have always found it to be very interesting that the 35-36 Ford Book describes the tire cover I have referred to, August 36, as being a 1936 Standard wheel cover. The article on page 23 of the 35-36 book goes on to explain that the cover came out in late '36.. I assume late means August '36.
I have taken exception to the Standard phrase for the past thirty plus years because my car is a August '36 car, built during the last 300 + cars. I am the second owner of the car having purchased it in September 1952. It had the August cover and mount on it when I bought the car, it also had the correct mount on the body, the wheel is a normal 36 wheel with a 600 x 16 tire.
In the 65 years that I have had my '36 I have only seen four of the August covers, the one on my car, the two extra covers I have gathered up through the years and one I saw on a car in Salt Lake City on State Street in 1954.
I guess it is possible that the original owner of my car saw the August cover on a car in the dealers showroom and just had to have it on his car. Times were still quite tough in 1936, therefore the salesman/dealer might have figured "a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush".
My car is a deluxe car that has just about every accessory offered by Ford on it, only been repainted once and has all of it's original upholstery. Apparently the car did not have a heater of any kind until the '39 Ford hot water heater was installed, I would guess sometime in '39.

Last edited by blucar; 08-31-2017 at 02:25 PM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
mercman from oz

Bill, I have never seen a Spare Wheel Cover like yours in the flesh. I have read that they were on the Standard Models, but if that was correct, there would be many more in circulation. I tend to agree with you that it was a late introduction? What do the experts have to say? Does the Ford Oval swivel to gain access to the Lock, like in pre 36 Ford Locking hubcaps?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
mercman from oz

Here is a larger picture of the Spare Tyre Mount showing the centre extension that is required to attach and lock the "August" Spare Wheel Cover, as posted by Bill, fitted to a Touring Sedan. Thanks for posting. We learn something new every day.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
DavidG

There are different mounting brackets in each of the '35 and '36 model years to reflect the different contours of the back of the bodies to which they are attached. For example, the coupe and roadster lower back panels are convex and therefore the spare wheel bracket has a concave surface on the back of the mount. The slope-back sedans and convertible sedans and phaetons have a slight concave surface where the bracket attaches and therefore the back surface of the bracket is convex. Those two brackets cited are not interchangeable and carry different part numbers for each model year.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
blucar

Yes mercman, the Ford oval rotates counter clockwise to expose the cover lock.
I was not aware that my car had an "anomaly" until I read in the book "The V8 Affair", page 161, that my Deluxe car had what is described as a Standard cover. I find it to be quite interesting that the photo in the 35-36 Ford Book appears to be the same photo that is in the V8 Affair.
I tend to agree with your thoughts that if the August cover is in fact a Standard cover, they would be very common because the bulk of the production for 36 was standard cars..
I am going to get my extra tire mounts out, and check to see if they are convex, concave as it has been stated, it would appear from the pix in posting #7 that they are flat..
I have always felt that the tire cover on my Ford was neat looking, adding a certain flare to the car. During the mid to late '50's when the trend was to remove the external spare tire mount, I elected to keep mine, never regretted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford.'60.jpg (44.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg henry, tr cov.2.jpg (65.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
RalphM

Love the Desoto rear bumper! I believe my rear bumper is off a 41 Ford(not sure).

So David, is there a positive way to tell the coupe rear tire mount from the sedan, etc?
Like a part, or casting number? I saw one for sale in classifieds, but want to be sure it's the right one.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
blucar

Quote:
Love the Desoto rear bumper! I believe my rear bumper is off a 41 Ford(not sure).

So David, is there a positive way to tell the coupe rear tire mount from the sedan, etc?
Like a part, or casting number? I saw one for sale in classifieds, but want to be sure it's the right one.
I took the Desoto bumpers off of my car in 1960, wanted a more stock look. About ten years later I sold the pair of Desoto's to a local EFV8 fan, he was going to put them on a '40. Turned out he never got around to it so I bought them back in about 2009.If you take a close look at the pix in my Avatar you'll note that the headlights on my car are from a '40 Chevy.. Took them off in about '62 in favor of stock
I don't believe there is actually that much difference in the '36 tire mounts, probably in the depth of the open car mounts as shown in the earlier contribution.
The body bolt holes for a '35-36 are exactly the same. The '35's I have seen, still have the one I used on my car for several years, is cast iron in lieu of stamped steel. the '35 and '36 do have different part numbers, 48 vs 68 and the special mount with the lock extension has a different part number.
It might be interesting to see an actual copy of a parts book that shows different mounts for each body style with the parts numbers for same.
As thrifty as Henry Ford was I doubt very much that he would have condoned a different mount for each body style that Ford made... A big waste of money..
It is easy to see why the '35 mount is cast iron whereas the '36 is stamped. The '35 wire wheel is heavier by five pounds compared to the '36 wheel.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #17
DavidG

Ralph,

In Ford's way of thinking, all things pertaining to wheels were chassis parts and in the July, 1936 Chassis Parts List there are three 48-prefix 1433 carriers (brackets) listed and six 68-prefix 1433 brackets listed.

The three '35 brackets (48-1433-A,B, and C) are respectively for body types 700, 730, 740, and 750 (the sedans, convertible sedan and phaeton), body types 710, 720, 760, and 770 (the coupes, roadster, and cabriolet) and type 790 (station wagon).

The six '36 brackets were 68-1433-A,B,C,D,E, and F. The A-suffix bracket has the same applications as the '35 brackets with the A suffix except it excludes those sedans with a trunk, the B-suffix bracket has the same applications as 48-1433-B except that the listing erroneously also includes 790 (station wagons), the C-suffix bracket is unique for Club Cabriolets, the D-suffix bracket is for 790s (station wagons), and E and F-suffix brackets are for standard vehicles with 5.50 x 16" tires.

Apart from the error in the listing of the station wagon bracket for '36, the listings seem incomplete in that no bracket is listed for the humpback sedans with trunks for either year and no distinction for those body types' brackets for '35, nor for late '36 convertible sedans (likely because of the date of the catalogue relative to the release of the humpback version of that body type).

That's probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but it underscores your concern about buying a bracket that is correct for your application. I believe that most of the '35 brackets have cast-in part numbers, which would be a big help. Unfortunately, I also believe that the '36 stamped brackets largely were made without-stamped in part numbers. Your best bet is to insist on a side view photo of the bracket to determine if the back side that attaches to the body is concave or convex as that is a sure fire distinction between the A and B suffix brackets in both model years. While I am at loss to the explain the need for separate '36 brackets for the 5.50 tires (except to guess that they are slightly shorter front to back), the brackets for the humpback sedans are noticeably shorter and have less of an angle to them front to back when viewed from the side as in Trevor's photos above.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #18
willowbilly3

Interesting thread but Bill,some of what ol thrifty Henry did just never made sense to me, like some years almost every body style had a different style of door handle. I'm sure some of the seemingly pointless running production changes just had to do with coming up with a cheaper vendor or finding a cheaper way to manufacture the part. Like the dizzying number of different factory jacks cars came with in certain years.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
VeryTangled

Adding. Tudor sedan, trunk or no trunk is a XX-700, Fordor sedan, trunk or no trunk is a XX-730.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
blucar

There has been some very good info about the subject of 35-36 spare tire covers/mounts by the various contributors. However, the main crux of the subject is correctness. The competition for correctness at the car shows is very intense, getting down in some cases to the style of valve caps on the tubes.
A friend of mine lost out on a first place trophy a few years ago on his '47 convert because the valve caps on his car were deemed to be incorrect for a '47 Ford.
I have reviewed the line drawings in the 35-36 Ford Book several times and have come to the conclusion that the '36 Cabriolet' , Model 760 and the '36 5 window, Model 770 use a tire mount that moves the wheel away from the body. Reputedly that is 68-1433-B, however, 1433-B is also the mount that is shown for all models 710, 720, 760, 770.
The difference in the position of the tire in relationship to the body is due to the rumble seat, which appears to be standard equipment on a Cabriolet and Roadsters in '35-36. The '35-36 open cars, model 710 & 760 do not have a tire that is positioned the same as the '36.
There is a strong possibility that the factory installed the "taller" mount on all '36 770 models due to the fact that most rumble seats were dealer installed.
The 35 model 720 & 770 do not show the spare tire positioned away from the body where-as both cars for '36 show the tire mounted away from the body.
My questions about the "August" cover have some credence to a judging issue. If the cover is in fact a Standard cover, then it is only correct for a Standard car built in August of '36. If the cover is just a special end of the year item, possibly intended for use on a '37 slant back, station wagon, then it is correct for any 36 model, providing it was built in August or later of '36.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
RalphM

I'm still a bit confused, so what is the part number for a 35 coupe?
Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #22
mercman from oz

You need Part Number 48-1433 B for a 1935 Ford Coupe.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
blucar

Quote:
I'm still a bit confused, so what is the part number for a 35 coupe?
As Trevor has stated, the correct tire mount for a 35 coupe, Model 720, 3 win or 770, 5 win is 48-1433-B. Now the big question is just what that mount is, no one has contributed pix and/or actual spec's/drawings.
I have a '35 mount, I took it off of a 5 window coupe over 60 years ago. The number cast inside of it is... 48-1433 A ... The part is very heavy cast iron, a two piece affair with the two parts welded together. From the appearance of the part I would say that the two pieces were cast separately, then welded together, the mount has a stand-off of 3.5". It is flat on the back side... which kind of blows the concave, convex theory out of the water..
I'll post pix of the 35 mount later.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
RalphM

Thank you, I'd like to see some pictures for sure, help me to know what I'm looking for.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
blucar

Attached you will find the pix that I said I would post to this thread.
The weight of the mount is very heavy, 6.5 #, it extends 3.5" up from the body. A normal 36-39 wheel is 4" wide and has a 2-1//8" back-set therefore the tire has a clearance of approximately 1.5" from the body. The bolt pattern is for 5 on 5.5" which will fit wire wheels '35 and earlier, and disk '40 and later.
The cast in number on the mount shown is 48-1433-A which reputedly is for model 700, 730, 740 & 750, all being sedans closed and open.
I took the mount off of a 35 coupe, model 760 5 window in 1952, it was on my '36 5 win cpe for over ten years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-Ford spr mnt.2.jpg (54.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 35-Ford spr mnt.3.jpg (49.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 35-Ford spr mnt.4.jpg (28.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #26
Randy in ca

Here's some pictures of the spare mount off of an early '35 3W coupe. To somewhat add to the confusion, note the number on it is 48-1434-B. Bill, it's kind of hard to see in your picture in post #25, but to me the last number also appears more like a "4" than a "3" also(?).

-

Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #27
Don Rogers

Randy, The 48-1434 number is the number for the casting only. When assembled with studs it carries part # 48-1433
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #28
weemark

mine is cast as a single piece, its on a '35 roadster. I don't have a better pic of it because its on the car.

Last edited by weemark; 09-06-2017 at 07:50 AM.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
blucar

Interesting... I reviewed the casting number on the mount I have under a very strong light, the last number does appear to be a "4" A O. It is also very interesting that the mount I have is different from the other two. No stand-off measurements was supplied with the two other mounts, however, visual observations would indicate that the stand-off height is greater than the 3.5" my mount has.
I would assume that the line drawings shown in the 35-36 Ford Book is not an absolute illustration of how the bodies and/or accessories thereof were constructed, running changes would alter the finished product. The apparent difference of the location of the spare tire in relationship to the rumble seat lid from body style to body style, year to year is an example.
My background is not in engineering, it is in construction. In a well managed construction project, the last thing done in a project is for all of the subcontractors to note changes on the project plans detailing changes that their phase of the project required.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #30
weemark

tbh blucar I think your mount has been modified, I wouldn't think it would have left the factory like it is now. Maybe it was modified to bring the wheel closer to the body and the piece put across the bolt holes to try and give it some strength back?
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
DavidG

Thanks to Randy in ca this thread now has a complete set of photos of an unmodified 48-1433-B spare wheel carrier for '35 coupes, roadsters and cabriolets. Note in those photos the slight concave curvature to the side facing the body to match the curvature of the body.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #32
RalphM

Very good information indeed!
I am 100% smarter on spare tire carriers for my car!
Now I just have to find one oh, and a spare wheel. Thanks to Andy here on the barn I have four good 16" spokes for it.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #33
blucar

Quote:
Very good information indeed!
I am 100% smarter on spare tire carriers for my car!
Now I just have to find one oh, and a spare wheel. Thanks to Andy here on the barn I have four good 16" spokes for it.
Ralph, et all. The pix I posted earlier of the 35 mount that was on my '36 coupe for over ten years has the number 48-1434 A O cast into it, therefore it started out as a mount for a '35 sedan with a off-set that varies from 5-1/8" at the top and 5-1/5" at the bottom.
It is very obvious that the mount has been modified, lord knows by whom? I know it was not me. What the piece was tack welded to the lower portion for, is any body's guess, the piece it not well finished. It could simply have been tacked there to minimize distortion during the welding process. I do feel that the quality of the welding on the rest of the mount indicates that the welding was done by a pro with an arc welder.
The mount was cut down so as to have an off-set of 3.5", that being the off-set for a 1433-B, all coupe/conv bodies #710, 720, 760 and 720.
To try and finalize Ralph's question, he needs a cast iron mount that has 1434 B cast into it and most importantly has an off-set of 3.5" and has a bolt pattern of 5 on 5.5".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-Ford spr mnt.2.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #34
blucar

While reviewing "Randy's" contribution, #26 in this tread I noted that there is a faint weld line mid-way down the mount, this would indicate that the mount was cast in two pieces, then welded together. I also noted the the weld is in the same position as the 48-1434 (3) A mount I have.
My memory kept coming up with thoughts that I had another '35-36 tire mount. I went looking in my parts stash and low and behold I found two '36 mounts. Both mounts have the 2-3/4" extension for the lock, therefore they are for the '36 August cover.
Neither of the mounts have any part numbers stamped, affixed into them, nor is there a Ford bug. The wheel mount pattern is the typical 10" 36-Ford pattern.
The one mount has a 3.5" off-set, therefore it could be assumed that the mount is a 68-1433-B for a coupe and/or conv coupe, #710,720,760 and 770.
The other mount is the mount I posted a pix of in an earlier contribution, showing the mount on the rear of a 36 Tudor Sedan #700.. This mount has an off-set of 5.5". It could be assumed that this mount is 68-1433 A for any sedan body.
The construction of the mounts is two piece stamped steel, the two parts are riveted and welded together. The quality of the welds vary considerably, many of the welds on the 1433-B mount are cracked. Amen for rivets..
The mounting bases for both mounts are relatively flat, showing no sign of being concave, as it has been mentioned in earlier contributions.
The 1433-B mount, coupe, etc., shows signs of having been in an accident, the lower portion of the wheel mounting plate is slightly bent and some of the spot welds are broken. Not a big deal to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt.2.jpg (59.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt 1433B.7.jpg (49.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt 1433B.5.jpg (54.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt 1433B.6.jpg (50.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt 1433A.9.jpg (48.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford spr mnt 1433A-B.11.jpg (52.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 02:41 AM   #35
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
While reviewing "Randy's" contribution, #26 in this tread I noted that there is a faint weld line mid-way down the mount, this would indicate that the mount was cast in two pieces, then welded together. I also noted the the weld is in the same position as the 48-1434 (3) A mount I have............................

..................The mounting bases for both mounts are relatively flat, showing no sign of being concave, as it has been mentioned in earlier contributions.....................

Bill, I re-checked the 1935 Coupe mount previously shown in pictures above and it is definitely cast in one piece. The faint line I think you are referring to was only a stain of some sort which easily brushed off. This mount is also definitely concave about 3/16" on the side which meets the body.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of 1935 Ford - Coupe spare tire mount 003.jpg (36.9 KB, 65 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote