Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #41
denis4x4

Default Re: Model A insurance?

State Farm sucks in Colorado due to state laws. By the same token, I have State Farm for boats and rental property in California and they're great. Again, rates and coverage vary from state to state.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #42
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
I used to have my Model A insurance with AAA, but they switched me to American Modern. They said they no longer carried antique/classic car or agreed value insurance any longer. I am also in Southern California. Do you have agreed value with AAA, or do you carry "regular modern car" type insurance on your Model A?
I, too, have American Modern. No claims, but I am pleased with their communications and pricing. They allow me to "stack" my coverages with my daily drivers that are insured through Nationwide. That, in effect, gives me far more coverage-instead of the old 100,000/300,000 I really have 400,000/1,200,000.

Last edited by 5window; 02-23-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: proof reading
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #43
JD 1931

Thank you for the wealth of information. I am going with GEICO that writes for American Modern insurance. I have GEICO for my modern cars and American Modern put me through GEICO ...Thanks again, JD, west coast Fla.
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #44
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929ier View Post
I am about getting my insurance from State Farm Insurance and here is the quote from them, is this a good deal?

That's about what I paid State Farm annually for similar coverage on a non-Model A hot rod a few years ago. I had several discounts - multi-line, accident-free, etc. They did require pictures but there was no mileage/driving restriction. They covered agreed value (more than replacement) without an appraisal. Fortunately, I never had a claim so I don't know if collecting on the policy would have been a hassle.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #45
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by epw1949 View Post
I have looked at all other posts, and can believe that anyone with any knowledge of insurance would ever use state farm, they are the worse insurance company in the world. E.P.W.
I think you are confusing 'State Farm' with 'Allstate.'

State Farm out of Bloomington is a very good company. Sears Allstate is, well, you get the idea. You can have Allstate for 30 years and the first time you turn in a claim they drop you. Them 'good hands' that they advertise let you slip thru the fingers
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #46
epw1949

Jeff, I am old, but not confused. I had state farm for 28 years, and only had one claim. It was 10 years after the claim, and three different lawyer's before state farm consided paying anything, which I went though neck surgery, and had three vertebra fused. Now before you think I did not have the right coverage, I have state farms top of the line policy. Thanks for reading. E.P.Williams

Last edited by epw1949; 02-24-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: SPELLING
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Dealing with insurance company's at the shop on certain collision repairs yes State Farm ranks among the worst...that being said all insurance company's will weazle out of things if they can..
just carry a high agreed value to compensate for the shaningans that can occur later..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #48
Keith True

I've always said that changing insurance companies is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic.My dad has done building and remodeling for 60 years,and wouldn't even write an estimate for Travellers or State Farm companies.I got a go-ahead on a repair to a recovered theft truck by State Farm once.After the vehicle was done they declared because of the high miles the new replacement parts became became,"betterment".They cut the bill in half and said take it or leave it,the owner paid me and took them on himself.It took him three years to win,but he did.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #49
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929ier View Post
I am about getting my insurance from State Farm Insurance and here is the quote from them, is this a good deal?

Eff:02/20/2017 MUTUAL ADDED VEHI
Quote # 2 1929 FORD MODEL A ZIP92618
CGDD
CDR: PREM
CL:1S BIPD 250/500/100 $38.83
DRG:007 UM 30/60 $7.14
GRG:007 U1 $0.57
LRG: MED $25000 $6.98
USE:A/C ERS $2.70
MILEAGE: COMP $100 DED $10.07
2000 COLL $250 DED $20.18
R1 80%/500 $10.62

TOTAL PREMIUM $97.09
MONTHLY PREMIUM $16.18

Thank you so much and let me know if you need absolutely anything else,

All i use all i will ever use, IF You drive your car.....its the best and most reliable..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #50
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
All i use all i will ever use, IF You drive your car.....its the best and most reliable..
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #51
barnstuf

The most recent issue of Consumers Report magazine covered automobile insurance company ratings, of course for modern cars. I am not a subscriber to Consumer's Report but I read it monthly in the local library. The best rated company in USA was AMICA, a Rhode Island Company that rated first in customer satisfaction (read that as claim settlement) and in pricing. I was pleased when I read that report as I have been insured with AMICA for years. I have not checked with them about antique car insurance in recent years so I am with Grundy for the Model A's..
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #52
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

From the time I needed insurance to drive, I used State Farm, my parents used State Farm. I was using State Farm before they even existed. Never had an accident, always started a new policy every time I returned from overseas and even got end of year rebates when they were given out. Then came that day when I backed into a car, no damage on my truck but bent the front bumper of the auto. Older car, my fault, damage was a little over $800.00. My refunds stopped and my insurance policy went up $80.00 a year.

Within two days after receiving my adapted policy, State Farm was gone, got Independent and my whole policy went down $266.00 a year, same full coverage. But......I had the same company insure Sarah, wrong choice, went to Hagerty, my cost dropped $282.00 a year. I'm a happy camper now.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #53
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
IF you drive your car, Hagerty does not all daily drivers let alone drive to work...hence why i said if you drive your car and I don't mean on sundays to get ice cream i mean as your daily..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #54
1965 Mustang

I have a broadform policy for liability only. This covers any car I drive new or old. Otherwise you could say I self insure. My A is worth less than 10K. And although I don't want to I could take the loss. (You can deduct a loss of this type from your income tax)
99.9% of the time my A is locked in my garage and relatively safe (knock on wood)
I being retired and usually home the chance of theft or fire damage is diminished. I just need to be careful when driving.
1965 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote