Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #41
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Stromberg BIG 97

The bases and butterflys were much larger. I have one on a blower saay. However the base will fit on the small 2GC but the ventures are way off/
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #42
Talkwrench

So Lawrie.. What was the outcome, Im sure you did buy a BIG 97 work ok ?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #43
Bored&Stroked

The Holley 2110 first came out somewhere around 1957-58 . . . with a 3 bolt flange that matched the Stromberg/94 - but with larger throttle plates and a CFM rating of I believe about 210. I believe the throttle plates were 1 5/32. I used to run two of these on a 286 cube blown motor - ran really well. Later on Holley released the "Bug Spray" - and I believe there were TWO sizes of them . . . and I believe they all had a 4 bolt flange. When I get back into this, will post pictures of the carbs, modifications required for the throttle bores, etc.. Really curious to compare the 2110s to the current 48's on a dyno - just to see if they are worth it in this particular engine.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #44
revkev6

I think there will be a huge difference as long as you can port match. the 2110 is a monster on the throttle plates. I need to get on finding a matching carb. all the dyno testing i've seen says 2x2 just isn't enough for a stout NA flatmotor that wants to rev and yours is REALLY stout. i'd like to see a super dual setup with 2110's on the dyno while you are at it!

I pulled out the carb I have and according to holley it doesn't exist. it has a car type air horn with manual choke, no spark valves and the port at the back of the venturi is plugged. it also has an extended throttle shaft. it has the 1 5/32" venturi and I think it was 1 7/16 throttle plates. I'm hoping if I can find another this will give me the equivalent of 3 97's
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #45
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
I think there will be a huge difference as long as you can port match. the 2110 is a monster on the throttle plates. I need to get on finding a matching carb. all the dyno testing i've seen says 2x2 just isn't enough for a stout NA flatmotor that wants to rev and yours is REALLY stout. i'd like to see a super dual setup with 2110's on the dyno while you are at it!

I pulled out the carb I have and according to holley it doesn't exist. it has a car type air horn with manual choke, no spark valves and the port at the back of the venturi is plugged. it also has an extended throttle shaft. it has the 1 5/32" venturi and I think it was 1 7/16 throttle plates. I'm hoping if I can find another this will give me the equivalent of 3 97's
Interesting. I don't have one of these in front of me, but will the fit side by side on a Edelbrock Slingshot or do you need a super-type intake for them to work.

All this talk is making sense as to why a 4X2 intake works in the right situation.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #46
revkev6

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Interesting. I don't have one of these in front of me, but will the fit side by side on a Edelbrock Slingshot or do you need a super-type intake for them to work.

All this talk is making sense as to why a 4X2 intake works in the right situation.

physically the carbs are the same as a 94. only real difference is that the throttle plates are much bigger so the intake would need to be match ported.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #47
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
physically the carbs are the same as a 94. only real difference is that the throttle plates are much bigger so the intake would need to be match ported.
OK, great. This may be an option for me. Did they offer a manual choke carb or are they all electronic?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
Bored&Stroked

Some had manual chokes . . . all the early ones that I have do.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #49
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Some had manual chokes . . . all the early ones that I have do.

any number tags on yours dale?? like I said, mine is manual choke, no spark port and a plugged hole in the venturi port with the extended throttle shaft. basically looks like they are either a generic carb or a larger replacement carb for early motors like a lincoln 12
Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #50
Bored&Stroked

I will take a look, as I have a brand new one in a box out in my shop - will be a couple days!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #51
Ol' Ron

I ran two of them on the 284 Hydro engine on a bored out super dual intake. Made 174 HP at 4600. My biggest mistake here was the Flatattack Cylinder heads. The combustion chamber was so large the CR was only 7.5. I considered milling them down to 8.6, but the increased flow would make up the difference . I also used an L-100 cam, and it wasn't enough. Fortunately the boat it was in, couldn't handle much more.. Every time you build a racing engine you learn something, so the next one is alittle better.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #52
aussie merc

remember reading something on web about getting the best out of the new 97 there was a jig of some sort bolted to the intake and they used a hole saw on the manifold to enlarge it so its the same as the butterfly's
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #53
tubman

Not exactly the same, but here's what I use when boring Mercury manifolds to 2G throttle bores. The first is just a chunk of 1" aluminum with the appropriate holes that I bolt to the manifold. I clamp that on my drill press at the proper angle, and as long as the cutter moves freely up and down in the guide plate, you're good to go. I use a "Rotabroach" cutter from Blair equipment to do the actual cutting. I have used this on both aluminum (Canadian) and cast iron manifolds and it cuts both like butter. As I said before, I go all the way down to the bottom of the manifold and then use a carbide burr to round the transition. I know you guys with Bridgeports will laugh at this, but it has always worked fine for me. (The other piece of aluminum is a spacer I use between the manifold and carburetor. A 2G has a "hollowed-out" base that is very prone to vacuum leaks if you just count on the base gasket to seal it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (38.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1588.jpg (33.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Rotabroach.jpg (4.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by tubman; 06-09-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Forgot a closing parenthesis.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #54
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That looks like a good setup tubman.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote