Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
31pickup650
Member
 
31pickup650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 58
Default Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Guys and gals, are the bends too tight on the fuel line I used here between the carb and the sediment bowl? I will bend a new one with a smoother bend if you guys think it is an issue. Thanks!

__________________
-Noah

1931 Model A Pickup
My Model A : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173024
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
msmaron
Senior Member
 
msmaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 3,498
Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

I think it is,, here is mine and you can see I used the same filter, you have a B carb and the bend can be just as soft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3042.jpg (45.6 KB, 166 views)
__________________
Mark Maron
Ill., Region MARC & MAFCA
27A's, MARC JSC Member
MARC Dearborn 2019 Meet Chairman
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: brentwood, ca
Posts: 2,913
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

One thing I see with your install is the location of the filter would be a problem if you had to clean out the glass filter bowl over a hot engine.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
31pickup650
Member
 
31pickup650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 58
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I think it is,, here is mine and you can see I used the same filter, you have a B carb and the bend can be just as soft
Thanks for the picture. I will bend up a new section with a smoother bend. Do you think that could have caused the backfiring while in third year? Carb bowl not fully refilling quickly enough?
__________________
-Noah

1931 Model A Pickup
My Model A : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173024
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Utopia Texas
Senior Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brookshire & Cat Spring,Texas
Posts: 142
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

You can make smoother bends without the line collapsing at the tight bends by first packing the line with dry sand until the pipe is full and then taping the ends. The sand will shore up the pipe on the inside at the bends and make the transition smoother. Bend slowly. Make your bends around a short piece of PVC pipe, don't just do it with your hands free style. I would also place the filter closer to the firewall. Naturally clean out the sand afterwards by tapping the pipe, then using compressed air and finally a wash out with gasoline until you are sure not one grain remains inside.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,476
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

I made my own tubing benders, as well as bought some. You can use a V belt pulley to make nice gentle bends. I would mount the filter like Mark did, or mount it at the carb, but not hanging in the middle of a long unsupported run. I'd also move the fuel line to the side of the engine rather than over the exhaust manifold.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,558
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

I'd put the sediment bowl @ the firewall, where you have it would cause the gas to BOIL in it!!!
Bill W.
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
700rpm
Senior Member
 
700rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,260
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I'd put the sediment bowl @ the firewall, where you have it would cause the gas to BOIL in it!!!
Bill W.
Agree.
__________________
Ray Horton, Beaver Chapter, MAFCA, Portland, OR


As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
captndan
Senior Member
 
captndan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 706
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Yes to tight. That looks like steel brake line. It take special tools to bend steel tubing correctly. Try a place that does hydraulic stuff. The one here charged me 5 bucks.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
crock
Senior Member
 
crock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: HOLDEN, MAINE
Posts: 133
Wink Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I made my own tubing benders, as well as bought some. You can use a V belt pulley to make nice gentle bends. I would mount the filter like Mark did, or mount it at the carb, but not hanging in the middle of a long unsupported run. I'd also move the fuel line to the side of the engine rather than over the exhaust manifold.
you can also use a old style door spring to bend tubing
__________________
MY PROBLEM CHILD!
crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Posts: 5,800
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
You can make smoother bends without the line collapsing at the tight bends by first packing the line with dry sand until the pipe is full and then taping the ends. The sand will shore up the pipe on the inside at the bends and make the transition smoother. Bend slowly. Make your bends around a short piece of PVC pipe, don't just do it with your hands free style. I would also place the filter closer to the firewall. Naturally clean out the sand afterwards by tapping the pipe, then using compressed air and finally a wash out with gasoline until you are sure not one grain remains inside.
Great idea, flirts time I ever heard it! Thanks, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
31pickup650
Member
 
31pickup650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 58
Default Re: Sediment Bowl/Fuel Line Question

Update: Re-did the line and shortened up the first section so it looks like msmaron's and then made one large radius smooth bend to the front of the Model B carb. I drained the fuel tank while doing this since there seemed to be a lot of crud in that tank of gas and it was kind of on the old side, too. I will report back when I put the cleaned (on the inside) radiator and new radiator hoses back on. Thanks for the help!
__________________
-Noah

1931 Model A Pickup
My Model A : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173024
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.