Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default reproduction ford battery dead

One cold night 40 degrees F and my 1.5 year old ford battery is dead.
Put the trickle charge on it overnight....no effect.
How long does a trickle charge take to charge a 6 volt battery?
I have an optima red top 1.5 year old too also dead...Maybe this is the morgue! The optima won't respond to my trickle charger.
The trickle charge has a red light when it is charging and the light turns green when charged. I am charging in the car, light is red, when I turn the headlight switch on the red light on the charger goes out! No headlights or horn of course. Just when I was preparing to test my restored 1933 zenith glove boxe radio....No power available...Can you beat that! I had plenty of power before that one cold night. HELP!!!!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: reproduction ford battery dead

Frank, as long as there is any juice left in a battery, the charger should recognize and try to charge it. Turning on your headlights during this operation may abort the charge.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
petehoovie

40 degrees F is not going to kill a battery. I suspect that you have a parasitic drain in your electrical system. Did you disconnect the battery cables when you tried to charge it? If not, do so....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

We had a battery expert (engineer) talk to at our Ford club meeting, bottom line was that if you use a battery tender that keeps it at full charge all the time, a new battery should last at least 12 years and more. Debunked ideas like that sitting on concrete would somehow cause the battery to discharge etc.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
FrankWest

I disconnected the battery and put the trickle charger back on...I will see how it looks in the morning. Any ideas how I can charge the optima red top battery. Should I buy a regular charger rather than a trickle charger? Bad news when your main battery and backup battery are both bad.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Kruzn40

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here's a link to tech help on recharging dead AGM type (Optima) batteries...........

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interio...a-agm-battery/
Kruzn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
petehoovie

When you get your lead acid battery up to full charge, connect it in parallel (positive to positive - negative to negative) to the Optima and then connect your charger. You can use jumper cables to connect the two batteries together. A heavy duty charger does have a place in your garage....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 10-12-2015 at 07:46 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
HCO41

Sounds like you're trying to use a Battery Tender or similar "maintainer". These are not meant to charge a dead or low battery, just to be used to maintain a fully charged battery. If the battery is capable of taking a charge, use a charger (at least 6 amp.) When fully charged put the maintainer on to keep it up. The maintainer may stay on red for a while but should go to green if battery is any good.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
Sounds like you're trying to use a Battery Tender or similar "maintainer". These are not meant to charge a dead or low battery, just to be used to maintain a fully charged battery. If the battery is capable of taking a charge, use a charger (at least 6 amp.) When fully charged put the maintainer on to keep it up. The maintainer may stay on red for a while but should go to green if battery is any good.
Howard
You are right, I need a real battery charger.
I used this trickle charger to first charge the brand new Ford Reproducton lead acid battery after I filled the battery with acid. It took about 4 days but did charge it 1.5 years ago.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
fourfords

Last Sunday, I jumped in my '37 to go to Church. Nothing, not a peep. I put on an actual 6V charger. Sunday night I went into the garage to check on any progress. I noticed the interior car lights were on. I had forgotten to turn them off. As of now, the battery is fully charged. Give yours a day or two and verify everything inside is off. Maybe your issue is simpler than it seems.
fourfords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
Howard
The same charging procedure applies to an Optima battery. I installed a kill switch on my vehicles to prevent battery drain when not in use and as insurance for fire from electrical shorts.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
wspiker

I have always maintained (ablest the last few years) that when ever what appears to be a battery issue, REPLACE IT! From there, at least you know, it is not the battery. A new battery is a 'cheap fix'. I recommend you replace the battery and 'go from there'.

Have a great day............ Daryl
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
super flat

You really need a good battery charger. I would bet both your battery's would come back. Your new battery that you originally charged was never charged enough with a trickle charger that backs down as it charges. Also hook another battery up with your optima neg to neg pos to pos and charge it good for a long time. That will bring it back too. Gary
Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
DavidG

Reproduction Ford script batteries are hardly "cheap".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #15
koates

Frank, Buy yourself a decent battery charger with an ammeter on it and a selectable charge rate control for 6 and 12 volts. There are a heap of automatic chargers around with idiot lights on them that only charge one or two amps which is useless when you have a dead battery. You need something like a 10 amp output to be useful. They might cost you a couple of hundred dollars but worth it. Fit a good quality battery cut off switch in your battery negative cable or the positive ground cable. Turn it "OFF" every time you are away from the car. It can act as an anti theft device and give you peace of mind that the car will be safe from any electrical problems when it is parked and unattended. My switch on my 34 is mounted in the floor just near the front edge of the drivers seat and cuts the positive ground cable. You can operate it whilst sitting in the car and nobody can see you turn it off. But you have to drill a hole in the floor but what price for safety and piece of mind. Your two batteries need to be hit with a decent charger and not your little float charger. Buy yourself a cheap multimeter and check the battery voltage now and then. A good 6 volt battery should be at 6.3 volts when fully charged at rest. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
FrankWest

Thanks guys! I need a real charger and should install that cutoff switch.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #17
Bruce in southern OH

Kruzn40, thanks for the article,
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #18
32phil

Over the years I have had a bunch of Optima and Reproduction conventional types. Sooner or later...mostly way sooner...they all croaked. The Optimas usually died quite suddenly without warning. No charging, special hook ups... series/parallel, "magic words" etc. revived them. The Reproduction Ford units failed very quickly too. So now I buy Sears or Interstate, 6 volts from Sam's Club... whatever fits... make sure I disconnect when I park the car and buy a new one when one croaks. Frankly the "new style" work/last way better than the Optima/Repros ever did.