Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Removing caked on grease and crud

To get the built up stuff off, I used a plastic scraper, oven cleaner, rinse, then clean as any other dirty part.

I have a question on electrolysis, I thought the part had to be clean and it only removed rust?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Electrolysis will remove rust and paint, but probably not grease and dirt if it's thick and hard.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #23
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
The oven cleaner will do the trick. But be mindful when you are brushing it ,to wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves and most importantly good eye protection. That stuff will burn like hades. And forget it if you get into your eyes. Cleaning the parts is great. but not at the expense of your eyesight. And the mask as hardtimes suggested is mandatory also.
The best neutralizer for spilt/splashed oven cleaner or any lye based product is beer. Don't laugh, it works.
Ex brewery worker.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #24
700rpm

A long time go there was an ‘auto laundry’ in Portland that would steam clean a chassis (dirt cheap even, as it were). Boy, did that work slick! In one day my Tudor chassis was spotless! That shop is out of business, and I don’t know if such an operation would even be allowed now. But if you find one close by that’s still in biz, get thee over there!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
A long time go there was an ‘auto laundry’ in Portland that would steam clean a chassis (dirt cheap even, as it were). Boy, did that work slick! In one day my Tudor chassis was spotless! That shop is out of business, and I don’t know if such an operation would even be allowed now. But if you find one close by that’s still in biz, get thee over there!
That steam can have its downside if used on an intact car that you don't intend to dismantle. I took a car to a place in North Portland years ago. The heat from the steam was so intense that is caused a section of paint to lift off of one fender. The process is very good at cleaning off an accumulation of gunk but it will also remove undercoating and so much of the good grease that you may end up with squeaks, creaks, and other sounds that weren't there before.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
That steam can have its downside if used on an intact car that you don't intend to dismantle. I took a car to a place in North Portland years ago. The heat from the steam was so intense that is caused a section of paint to lift off of one fender. The process is very good at cleaning off an accumulation of gunk but it will also remove undercoating and so much of the good grease that you may end up with squeaks, creaks, and other sounds that weren't there before.
Yes. To clarify, my Tudor was set to be completely dismantled for rebuilding right after the steam cleaning, so I wasn’t too concerned. As it happened the steamer knew to keep his work focussed on the chassis gunk. I think the company’s name was Russ’s Auto Laundry, located over near Lloyd Center. If you also lived in Portland, you might remember that place.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #27
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
On parts and pieces that can handle heat use a torch to heat the grease until it burns out the oils. Will blast clean easily then.
X2 works fast and what I prefer - you will lose paint though. I always plan on doing my paint work anyway.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
ursus

No 700, I went to the cheap place on North Williams Avenue where the operators were probably skilled but also impaired by the Ranier Ale that I observed them drinking on that hot day. Should have known better but was just a 17-year old kid with a $50 car and had assumed adults knew better.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote