Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
BlueWaterEric

Default 6v generater vs 6v alternator

Anybody out there done the switch, would be interested in pros and cons and if easy to switch or is it a simple pull out and drop in? 1928 Model A pickup
BlueWaterEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: 6v generater vs 6v alternator

It is an easy change, but, why ?

Alternators just don't look right. And, all you're doing is charging a battery which a generator does just fine. A good generator with an internal EVR is simple and bullet-proof.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Al 29Tudor

I've switched to the 6v alternator. Much more convenient if you drive in the day time and in the night time the battery is always topped up. You never have to adjust the third brush for proper out put.
The generator does look best though.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Safewiz

Did the switch on my 29, only because it is my only vehicle, my daily driver, and I live in south Florida. I put at least 150 miles a week on my car, and a lot of my driving is when it is dark. I added signals for safety, and brighter bulbs. Still 6 volts but the alternator works so much better at idle, the lights never dim, and I don't worry quite as much about getting rear ended. Easy to switch, took about 15 minutes. I have put over 4000 miles on it since with no problems.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

It is a mater of personal preference but I can't stand the look of an alternator. To me it is almost as bad lifting the hood and finding a SBC.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I find my lights At night are brighter and they don't fade as they do with the generator. Yes does not look as good but neither do lots of the add ons. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Zener424

I installed a 6V Nurex alternator because I wanted to take my car on long trips and I figured the alternator would perform better, less voltage fluctuation, brighter more stable lights at night, and better reliability. It has performed flawlessly and I am very happy with it. However, after going to several shows with my car and looking under the hoods of other Model A's, comparing them to mine, I have become disenchanted with the looks. So I am currently rebuilding a Model A generator which I plan on installing and I will probably sell the Nurex on eBay. I'm gonna ignore the fluctuating voltage, dimming lights, and hope that the generator is as reliable as the alternator while I enjoy it's pleasant looks.
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Al 29Tudor

I've heard some talk about an alternator built into a generator case.
This would be the best of both worlds.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
Ed Saniewski

A 6 volt generator with an EVR (Electronic Voltage Regulator) from Fun Projects inside the cut out. It looks spot on and keeps the battery charged up night or day

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Kevin in NJ

What nobody seems to understand about alternators.

They may not be able to put out as much power as you might think....

It is simple physics. It takes a certain amount of HP into the shaft of the alt to produce a given amount of power. To transfer the power you need a certain diameter V belt pulley to have enough friction along with the correct tension on the belt. I forget the exact numbers, but you get less then half the amount of power needed to make 60 amps if I am remembering correct. Now consider the installation on the A, the belts have to be loose. If you go read the manual for how to adjust the belt on a late 60's car (everyone has a 66 Mustang shop manual for thier car, right?) You will find the belt has to be very very tight.

One other note to keep in mind. It seems alt rated out put is only initally and you expect half the output once it is warmed up.

Please do not take any of what I just wrote above for granted. Go look it all up. I did as it is easy to do a few google searches to learn all you need to know.

A for reliablity, well the mechanics loved the introduction of the alt as they broke more often then the generators.

The generator will provide all the power you need to run halogen head lights and turn signals and other accessories (well maybe not the correct era radio with a motor generator). If you do not understand the third brush and basic keeping the battery going then get a band regulator for the generator.

My brothers coupe is a great example. The gen has been untouched since my then 15 year old brother rebuilt it in 1970 and it is still running the direct replacement halogen head lights today. He only get 6 to 10 years on the batteries and more then once it put used batteries on the car.

Now, keep in mind I am not saying alt do not work. I am only pointing out they do not make much since and certainly generators are being put in a much darker light then they should be.

So other things to know.

If you listen to NuRex at the shows where they have an alt set up on an engine you would think the gen never worked ever. If you start asking deep questions they not so politely tell you to leave.
The dealers make a lot of money selling you alternators and so they like to push the profitable item. I believe some of the generator nonsense might be someone making money off of ignorance.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
Zener424

Yes Al 29Tudor, there is an alternator built into a generator case,
it's the "Powermaster 82006" & it sells for $354.00 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster-...xV7si1&vxp=mtr
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
DougVieyra

I too am 'disturbed' by the sight of an alternator in a stock Model A. I feel 'less disturbed' if the alternator is part of an 'over all package' - 16" wheels, FS ignition, Stromberg (Weber) carb., etc.

What I really like, is (as has been mentioned) the Fun Projects EVR (Electronic Voltage Regulator) hiding inside the outwardly stock-appearing 'Cut Out'. Also too, for the (1928-E'29) Power House generators - Tom Wesenberg's voltage regulator INSIDE the stock 'A' generator. To me, the best of both worlds - without the disturbing feeling of 'not being right'.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

It's EASY & QUICK & the car starts almost as if it's on 12 VOLTS, even with a 5 year old battery! MOST folks were impressed, when they saw it.
Bill W.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Pete / MA

I spun the bearing on the brush end of my generator so I installed a Nurex 6V positive ground, one wire alternator until I repaired / rebuilt my generator. That was 3 years ago.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the original set up and I intend to re-install my generator at some point.

In the mean time I'm very happy with the performance of the alternator.
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

I like the looks of a generator over an alt. on a Model A too. A well restored gennie w/Tom's EVR will work about as good as an alternator.

At least an alternator is a bolt-on change easy to go back to original if a person so desires
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
Al 29Tudor

Yes Al 29Tudor, there is an alternator built into a generator case,
it's the "Powermaster 82006" & it sells for $354.00 :

Thanks Zener424 - That's a very heavy hit but is available.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener424 View Post
I installed a 6V Nurex alternator because I wanted to take my car on long trips and I figured the alternator would perform better, less voltage fluctuation, brighter more stable lights at night, and better reliability. It has performed flawlessly and I am very happy with it. However, after going to several shows with my car and looking under the hoods of other Model A's, comparing them to mine, I have become disenchanted with the looks. So I am currently rebuilding a Model A generator which I plan on installing and I will probably sell the Nurex on eBay. I'm gonna ignore the fluctuating voltage, dimming lights, and hope that the generator is as reliable as the alternator while I enjoy it's pleasant looks.
If it's 6 volt send me a message with a price. I have alternators on 4 of my 6 Model A's and l intend to put them on the other 2. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #18
Art Newland

I guess all the auto manufacturers in the world must be trying to screw us all by putting alternators on new cars... since the mid 60's... Yes, I like the looks of a 30's battery generating device under the hood of a 30's auto, but come-on, most people would never know the difference. My car had a two wire (early V8 I'm told) generator with a diode cut-out. Wiring inside was poor, bearings not too good. A rebuilt generator + cut-out + regulator was a lot of $$$... for an inferior component. I bought a 30 amp alternator from Ken Davis. Shipped for $140. It's so nice to see the amp meter jump to 20 amps after start-up, then within a few minutes drop back down to about 0. It took the alternator about three weeks of daily driving to get the battery back in shape.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #19
Art Newland

http://www.kendavismodela.com/Alternators.html
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

I wanted something that worked perfectly, looked correct, fit right, was dependable, kept the battery charged, and wouldn't leave me stranded somewhere, so I restored my powerhouse generator 15 years ago, and haven't touched it since.

Still running on the same 6 volt battery I bought from the metal recycling yard 14 years ago, so I don't know the true age, but would guess it was at least a year or two old when I bought it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote