Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
callcoy

Default Fastenal Shipping

I have in the past shipped crates of Model A parts from Santa Rosa to my home in Tenn. without any problem. The system used to be simple, drop your crate off at your store, they make a call to Corp. and get the quote, you complete the paperwork and pay, then it is on it's way.

A week or so after Speed Week at Bonneville I put together two crates containing a B block with a Silberstein flathead and a B block with a alum. overhead conversion. The procedure had changed requiring the shipper ( Me ) to contact Corp. get a quote, OK the and sign the quote, submit it and then they will ship, you pay the receiving store when it arrives.

Well not so smooth this time, dumb me I assumed that this could be completed in a mater of days, I had left my crates with my Santa Rosa store and flew back to Tenn. It took several weeks for the person that I was working ( ? ) with to realize I was shipping two crates. I was out of town for a week and did not have my computer but always have my phone which she never used to contact me but then after more computer contact from me I got my quotes. Before leaving again I completed and signed the paperwork. In an effort to alert the receiving store that I to receive to shipments, I asked them to fax the paperwork to Corp. keep copies for reference.

So I assume the shipments have been made, a week later the fires start in Santa Rosa and Napa. I have flown back out as stated in my first post and am here two days when I get notified that my crates have shipped and now have been notified that they are waiting for me in Tenn.

I thought that any Barners that may consider shipping Fastenal to be aware of the change in procedure. While it took better than five weeks for my stuff to make it to Tenn. because of the gross lag in shipping my engines sat at the store while fire was held at bay across the street from the store

Last edited by callcoy; 11-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.
callcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Binkman34
BANNED

Default Re: Fastenal Shipping

Well, you did better than I did.
When I inquired about shipping at Fastenal they told me that in California they do not do freight shipments. I was a trying to ship an engine from the midwest to Calif. The best they could do was to drop it off in Reno and then I would have to pick it up. They said it was something about shipping rules within the state of Calif.
Binkman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
klawockvet

I have had two shipments to Fastenal in Ridgecrest CA from out of state. Last one was a year or two ago. Maybe this is a new deal. California has lots of new rules to keep us safe. We are so lucky.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
I have had two shipments to Fastenal in Ridgecrest CA from out of state. Last one was a year or two ago. Maybe this is a new deal. California has lots of new rules to keep us safe. We are so lucky.
Just had a set of tires and wheels sent from California to me here in Kansas City. No problem very reasonable and lots of help from Steve the fellow that send them to me

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by callcoy View Post
I have in the past shipped crates of Model A parts from Santa Rosa to my home in Tenn. without any problem. The system used to be simple, drop your crate off at your store, they make a call to Corp. and get the quote, you complete the paperwork and pay, then it is on it's way.

A week or so after Speed Week at Bonneville I put together two crates containing a B block with a Silvastein flathead and a B block with a alum. overhead conversion. The procedure had changed requiring the shipper ( Me ) to contact Corp. get a quote, OK the and sign the quote, submit it and then they will ship, you pay the receiving store when it arrives.

Well not so smooth this time, dumb me I assumed that this could be completed in a mater of days, I had left my crates with my Santa Rosa store and flew back to Tenn. It took several weeks for the person that I was working ( ? ) with to realize I was shipping two crates. I was out of town for a week and did not have my computer but always have my phone which she never used to contact me but then after more computer contact from me I got my quotes. Before leaving again I completed and signed the paperwork. In an effort to alert the receiving store that I to receive to shipments, I asked them to fax the paperwork to Corp. keep copies for reference.

So I assume the shipments have been made, a week later the fires start in Santa Rosa and Napa. I have flown back out as stated in my first post and am here two days when I get notified that my crates have shipped and now have been notified that they are waiting for me in Tenn.

I thought that any Barners that may consider shipping Fastenal to be aware of the change in procedure. While it took better than five weeks for my stuff to make it to Tenn. because of the gross lag in shipping my engines sat at the store while fire was held at bay across the street from the store
Sounds like the company hired an 'educated idiot' fresh out of college to "refine, streamline and improve" their shipping procedures!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
charles=fla

talked to Fastenal..they said they do not ship to nv or a few of the other states around there..gave me a outside shipper..nov 12 2017..
charles=fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles=fla View Post
talked to Fastenal..they said they do not ship to nv or a few of the other states around there..gave me a outside shipper..nov 12 2017..
I think part of this is because Fastenal is using more straight trucks now, and they do not have the extra room now. Also, they still outsource their freight transportation to the more remote areas of their stores.

FWIW, I have been shipping via Fastenal for several years now, and the protocol has always been that corporate must be contacted directly to arrange LTL shipping.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Bulligen

I have used them recently and all was good, however the pallet got a little jacked up. No damage to the part.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
klawockvet

Some Fastenal stores, maybe all of them, are franchises and some I have dealt with hire people with IQ's lower than a Tree Frog. When I first went to Ridgiest to ask them about shipping they said they knew nothing about that and were sure they didn't do that. LTL at the corporate level arranged it and all was well. The young man at the store was very nice but when I asked where the SAE bolts were he said they didn't have any. I then walked over to the bolt bin and showed him. He said those were "fine thread" and I had asked for SAE. HMM. Things aren't what they used to be.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
MikeK

Hmm.. LTL freight is sometimes a nightmare.

Two weeks ago I ordered a 25' I beam to make a hoist trolley. I specified that I needed an end delivery with a skid-loader as I had no loading dock and needed it placed on the ground at the destination. That cost an extra $130. Gave them contact numbers to call ahead, etc. Yesterday the shippers tracking showed they had not even picked it up from the steel yard.

The doorbell rings, it's a 90 lb gal with a 40' enclosed semi from a different shipper with the beam. Picked up, subcontracted/ handed off, no call ahead forwarded, tracking useless, wrong truck type, no way to unload. I think my I beam is somewhere in Addison, IL. now.

Next time I'll just order 25 one-foot beams, send them parcel post and weld together however many actually get delivered.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Two weeks ago I ordered a 25' I beam to make a hoist trolley. I specified that I needed an end delivery with a skid-loader as I had no loading dock and needed it placed on the ground at the destination. That cost an extra $130. Gave them contact numbers to call ahead, etc. Yesterday the shippers tracking showed they had not even picked it up from the steel yard.

The doorbell rings, it's a 90 lb gal with a 40' enclosed semi from a different shipper with the beam. Picked up, subcontracted/ handed off, no call ahead forwarded, tracking useless, wrong truck type, no way to unload. I think my I beam is somewhere in Addison, IL. now.

Next time I'll just order 25 one-foot beams, send them parcel post and weld together however many actually get delivered.

Mike, we truly feel your pain. The economy is very strong which means the good employees are taken (-and employers are nervous at trying to retain them!!), and now the new service industry workforce has been taken from fast-food restaurant's employee base and they have moved them up into the service counter jobs. Companies are absolutely overwhelmed at trying to train new employees. I recently attended an all-day seminar on how to train & work Millennials in the modern workforce. One moment I had sheer laughter on my face and the next moment I had sheer panic on my face. Predictions are that the Millennial and Generation Z workforce will become the next crippling factor for the economy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
Benson

Mike,

Brent beat me to it...

I was going to ask if the 90 pounder's first question was ....

"Do you want fries with your I beam?"
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
History

It's a good thing breathing comes natural for many today because they would be to lazy to breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mike, we truly feel your pain. The economy is very strong which means the good employees are taken (-and employers are nervous at trying to retain them!!), and now the new service industry workforce has been taken from fast-food restaurant's employee base and they have moved them up into the service counter jobs. Companies are absolutely overwhelmed at trying to train new employees. I recently attended an all-day seminar on how to train & work Millennials in the modern workforce. One moment I had sheer laughter on my face and the next moment I had sheer panic on my face. Predictions are that the Millennial and Generation Z workforce will become the next crippling factor for the economy.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Jim Brierley

Your head is a SILBERSTEIN (with a B). Jerry is gone now but was a great guy!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #15
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

No, her ? would be is it for or to go, after you told it is for here.
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
Zoom

Apparently the Fastenal trucks going to CA from the east are full. Fastenal has refused to handle shipments into CA from Texas. Shipping outbound from CA doesn't seem to be a problem. About a year ago I had a pallet shipped into CA from Oregon and Fastenal didn't balk at that.
Don't get me started on the millennials, I work for a 100 year old company that used to promote from within. Now they think it's best to hire some kid off the street who has never done the job to supervise the rest of us who actually to the work. If you point out why their instructions won't work they get mad. If you do as they instruct and it doesn't work they get mad. If they ignore a problem and it gets to the crisis stage they get mad, no matter what the problem is the workers fault in their opinion.
Dirk
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #17
Roadster62

I'm going to call Fastenal again tomorrow and try to get a HUMAN on the other end. WISH ME LUCK, have any of you found a phone number that connects to a HUMAN at Fastenal? Bob
Old 11-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

"No way to unload"? Just chain that beam to the hitch on your pickup, throw some plywood/scrap lumber/old carpet on the ground for a cushion and tell that lady to drive off!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
MikeK

40 Deluxe, That would have worked if the truck was not in the middle of a city street with solid parked cars on either side. Anyway, finally delivered 4pm yesterday to rear of property. Placed on 4 sawhorses right where I wanted it. Geez, now I've got a taste for some fries.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Paul Bennett

One must recognize from the start ... Fastenal is NOT is the shipping business. There MIGHT BE an advantage having them ship something for you but it's NOT what they do. They own you nothing ... your situation MUST fit their situation ... if so all is good. But they deal in screws and you must make certain you don't get screwed in the process. I think it's great and maybe Whole Foods or Costco might need to fill their long haul trucks at a time when you have a rear fender going cross country. But it's all up to you to fit their situation as best possible and save big bux doing so. Try taking that fender to the post office y'doncha.