Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Derby

Default 8BA in 1937

I am in the process of installing an engine with an 8BA block. The steady rods need to be fitted to the block by drilling out the hole locations at the rear of the block. Attached is a picture taken by someone who has done the job. Possibly I found it on this Forum. I want to do it properly. Any advice will be appreciated.
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 8BA in 1937

Your photo didn't show up. Are you sure the photo file is the correct size to post? If you need help posting it let me know.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I am in the process of installing an engine with an 8BA block. The steady rods need to be fitted to the block by drilling out the hole locations at the rear of the block. Attached is a picture taken by someone who has done the job. Possibly I found it on this Forum. I want to do it properly. Any advice will be appreciated.
You should not have to do any drilling on the block.
A pair of adapter plates can be fabricated using the existing bell housing mount bolts.
Or brackets may still be available from the vendor listed in the thread below.

See here---------

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=chatter+rods

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
19Fordy

Don't drill the block.
There is a fellow that makes cast brackets for fitting chatter rods to an 8BA. Here it is:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226558
Take a look at all the postings this thread. I welded little ears the the stamped steel bellhosing and then made the rods longer in Post #8. Make sure rods clear brake and clutch pedals when depressed.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ba+steady+rods

Also shown in above thread is also an aftermarket anti chatter rod kit that was made. Bolts to transmission and hooks onto X member. I also installed that since I had it.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-21-2019 at 05:37 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I am in the process of installing an engine with an 8BA block. Any advice will be appreciated.

Derby...What had you planned to do about a fan? 8BA-type fans don't lend themselves toward co-habitating very well with that rearward-leaning radiator in a '37. If you don't have something worked-out, I can show some pics of what we did to alleviate the same situation on a '36. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
Derby

Lots of good information here to study. Thanks. Concerning the fan, have not chosen a way to go as yet. Pictures would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Derby

Yes, any help with picture posting would be appreciated. appreciated. Picture is 750x586. I just used "choose" option and selected picture file
Old 12-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Yes, any help with picture posting would be appreciated. appreciated. Picture is 750x586. I just used "choose" option and selected picture file

Derby...I'm rounding-up some fan pics for ya. JSeery in post #2 above is quite generous and really good at helping folks post pictures. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Concerning the fan, have not chosen a way to go as yet. Pictures would be appreciated.

Derby....For several pictures and the entire story on the project, click the link below and read post #12 in it's entirety. Picture below is just a teaser. I have several more pics and details if you decide to undertake such a project. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...mechanical+fan

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
Pete

Quote:
It has been a LONG time since I did one but as I remember, we used all stock parts on the front of the engine. Early(48) water pumps, 11A ignition and 48 heads. Plug 2 deck holes, slight mod to the crank nose, stock fan. NO steady rods. You don't need them with new motor mount pads.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Derby

Thank you for the fan info! In regard to the steady rods, I agree with the recommendation not to drill the block. The add on brackets are good, but I plan to use the existing threaded holes in the block with modified rods. If the approach is proves feasible, I will post some info. This forum is great.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
19Fordy

Derby: V8 and I made our fan set ups before Bob Drake came out with his fan pulley. His product is very fairly priced. You could use his part as part of your set up.
https://www.bobdrake.com/SearchForm....0&searchtype=0

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-22-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
blucar

I have been involved with two installations of 8BA style of engines in a '37 Ford, other than dealing with an adapter to attach the steady rods and the use of '49-50 Merc motor mount spacers, the whole deal was quite simple.
See attached pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Frd w-8BA.1.jpg (59.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 37 Frd w-8BA.jpg (66.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I have been involved with two installations of 8BA style of engines in a '37 Ford, other than dealing with an adapter to attach the steady rods and the use of '49-50 Merc motor mount spacers, the whole deal was quite simple.
See attached pix.

You continue to post this example when FordBarners ask for information or advice involving the swap of an 8BA into a '37 Ford passenger car. Your example is of an 8BA into a '37 PICK-UP TRUCK. That information is very misleading and confusing to a new-comer or neophyte engine swapper asking for reliable information. The '37 pick-up radiator sits essentially straight up and down and presents no interference with an 8BA fan. A '37 CAR radiator leans rearward and presents mucho interference with an 8BA fan. WE should ALL make an effort not to lend any more confusion to the folks simply asking for accurate info. Like Joe Friday used to say on Dragnet...."Just the facts ma'am...just the facts!" DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
19Fordy

V8: Thanks for pointing out that major difference. I also noticed that in the photo above, the radiator looked surprisingly vertical unlike the typical 37 car. To an unknowing person with a '37 car, YOUR info. is vital. That's why it's so important to give the full particulars when one offers up a solution. I suppose there is the possibility that the poster didn't realize there is an difference in radiator angles.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Derby: V8 and I made our fan set ups before Bob Drake came out with his fan pulley. His product is very fairly priced. You could use his part as part of your set up.
https://www.bobdrake.com/SearchForm....0&searchtype=0

Well, I initially thought we might be able to use a '42-'48 fan hub also. I had a real nice one that I was going to send to Heard, but it's dimensions from the rear of the hub to the surface where the fan mounts was just too great, and every 1/8" inch was precious. The stock one just took-up too much territory. I just sent the mounting bracket to Heard which worked out perfectly...it's the one in our picture of the finished product on the car. Stock Ford hub and bracket below! DD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAN HUB.jpg (69.4 KB, 620 views)

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #17
19Fordy

Excellent.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
Derby

The set up is great. Is this done with the Drake Hub? Who is Heard? Better to ask ask than assume!
Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Derby....No, we did not use the Drake hub. The Drake FAN hub is a reproduction of an original 1942-'48 Ford fan hub (like the black one in the picture just above). I had one but it turned-out to be too long for the available space between engine and radiator.

Heard is the FordBarn member that owns the primered '36 Ford 3-window coupe in the picture. It has an 8BA engine in it, and the radiator leans back just like on a '37, severely limiting the space for a mechanical, engine mounted fan. Heard wanted to get rid of the inefficient and ugly electric fan which had been mounted on the engine side of the radiator.

We ended-up using a NOS Chevy Corvair fan hub like the one in the picture below. It is quite compact, yet plenty beefy enough to spin the great big cooling fan that was on top of a Corvair engine. If you like this concoction and have any more questions, I will happily walk you through any details. If you re-read the original link below-(Post #12) in it's entirety, some more of the details may come to light. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...mechanical+fan

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #20
big job

I know this is of no help just for conversation; but early 1970s I put a 8BA in my 36 4dr
didn't use chatter rods Those days I only had basic tools I do not remember any problems
sliding that engine in. For the life of me I can't remember what I did with the fan, but
some how I did it all with Ford parts laying about the barn. I drove that car 10yrs to work
with no issues no heating no chattering and I heard its still running the roads same engine
as I speak. So it is do-able maybe I used truck merc or even Lincoln fan parts???? sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote