Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default 56 wing window seal removal?

How do you remove the old seal in the wing window? It is riveted on and I would be leery of drilling it out as to then make the holes too big. Any ideas?

Wing Window.JPG
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: 56 wing window seal removal?

Bit tough to see in the picture. But I did an OT 56 with my buddy a couple years ago. We used a Dremel tool to grind them down, then a punch. I had a punch and backing tool for the channel on my 55 bird that worked to re-install new rivets.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I used a drill with a bit that is a little larger than the diameter of the rivet holes. In order to determine the rivet hole size, you need to measure the replacement rivets in the new gasket kit. Anyway, by using an oversize bit, you cut out the ring-side of the rivet and stop drilling. Then you just punch out the rivet using the appropriate sized flat pin-punch. It's pretty easy if you got good eyesight and are careful to stop drilling as soon as the ring part of the rivet is cut off.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I used a drill with a bit that is a little larger than the diameter of the rivet holes. In order to determine the rivet hole size, you need to measure the replacement rivets in the new gasket kit. Anyway, by using an oversize bit, you cut out the ring-side of the rivet and stop drilling. Then you just punch out the rivet using the appropriate sized flat pin-punch. It's pretty easy if you got good eyesight and are careful to stop drilling as soon as the ring part of the rivet is cut off.

That worked. One of the hole was a tad buggered since I could not drill straight down iI clipped the side of one of the holes.

Next question. On the channel that the window rides in on the wind wing I assume that has to be also drilled out and a new channel riveted in. Has anyone used pop rivets to do this as the channel I got did not come with rivets. If pop rivets are not recommended where would be a good place to get the correct rivets? Thanks.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote