Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Farrell In Vancouver

Default AA Ford Skid Strip Carriage bolts

Pop did the monumental task of removing the old bolts from the deck so we can get the frame sandblasted. Going by Jim Schilds book I confidently told him the would be about a hundred bolts. He brought me a bucket on Saturday and said " You underestimated, there are onehundred and forty bolts"! "And I do not want to see another one for quite a whle"

A tough man for a tough job I thought, and he didn't loose one of them.
Sorting through the pile I found three different lengths of bolts, and two different types of washers/lock washers.
I can save the majority of them as the deck wood was saturated with oil which gave them some protection over the years, but some are just to far gone for reuse.

Can anyone recommend a supllier for the carriage bolts to hold the strips? They must have a very low dome hieght as they cannot protrude above the skid stips, which would defeat The purpose.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Dan Partain

Default Re: AA Ford Skid Strip Carriage bolts

I don't think you can find any exact reproductions of those bolts, I believe they make something close. If you just need a few you can make what you need out of regular carriage bolts. Just use a grinding wheel to grind the heads down to the correct shape.

I made some for my pickup.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Farrell In Vancouver

Thanks Dan, you did a good job on that. I have spent quite some time looking at Carriage bolt suppliers and I believe you to be correct that they are not available.
We are lucky Dad managed to get the majority out unscathed, but a handfull will need to be mocked up as you did. I did noticed on one antique car supplier the thick square nuts are available.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Partain View Post
I don't think you can find any exact reproductions of those bolts, I believe they make something close. If you just need a few you can make what you need out of regular carriage bolts. Just use a grinding wheel to grind the heads down to the correct shape.

I made some for my pickup.

Wouldn't a lathe do a better job?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Pop did the monumental task of removing the old bolts from the deck so we can get the frame sandblasted. Going by Jim Schilds book I confidently told him the would be about a hundred bolts. He brought me a bucket on Saturday and said " You underestimated, there are onehundred and forty bolts"! "And I do not want to see another one for quite a whle"

A tough man for a tough job I thought, and he didn't loose one of them.
Sorting through the pile I found three different lengths of bolts, and two different types of washers/lock washers.
I can save the majority of them as the deck wood was saturated with oil which gave them some protection over the years, but some are just to far gone for reuse.

Can anyone recommend a supllier for the carriage bolts to hold the strips? They must have a very low dome hieght as they cannot protrude above the skid stips, which would defeat The purpose.
Farrell,

Do you have copies of Neil Wilson's, The Double A'er,?

I think he had done some schmatics on some of the platform beds.

I may have some extra bolts but it might be awhile till I can check as I am in the midst of Spring Work...just what do you need.

Email or PM me.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Farrell In Vancouver

Thanks Pluck, I am working from articles in a few Restorers and Jim Schild's book as well as good advice directly from Neil. I have the bolts sorted but not yet cleaned. Once I know what I have, I'll know what I need. Carpenter buddy is now looking for some fir for the deck and he'll do the wood maching for us. According to Neil the decks/Frames were sprayed body color. Hunting some spare stakes tonight.