Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
revenski

Default Shopping for a Trailer

Hello Everyone, I need help (again). I'm looking for advice on purchasing an enclosed car trailer. I'm need something good that won't break the bank. Good used is a consideration. I need a 20'L x 8.5'W x 7'H enclosed trailer. I have the '38 Ford Tonner which is 78" high, and I need to clear that with comfort. An 82" door height would be nice. I've looked on the internet rather extensively, but haven't landed on anything yet.
I have a couple of several hundred mile trips to shows planned. While I did an open trailer once a couple of hundred miles, I really don't feel comfortable with that.
Any input is welcomed.
I wanted to post a couple of picture of the finished truck, but for some reason I ran into a problem just now. I'll get there later. I haven't put anything on here in quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF4b.jpg (79.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DF5b.jpg (78.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DF6b.jpg (87.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PF1b.jpg (98.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PF3b.jpg (102.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PF4b.jpg (106.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DR5b.jpg (82.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PR1b.jpg (67.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PR4b.jpg (84.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Bed2b.jpg (90.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Bed5b.jpg (89.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Int2b.jpg (78.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg U10b.jpg (71.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Left 1b.jpg (78.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Right 1b.jpg (79.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by revenski; 02-17-2020 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Add pictures of truck
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
fordv8j

Default Re: Shopping for a Trailer

I was looking for a trailer for our 38 Fords, a friend said to get a v nosed, they pull better, got a 18" does well
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
barnfind

Several plants in south GA will build to your specs or sell factory direct.
U can find them on the Bay or CL.
Adequate Tow vehicle with extended mirrors and the hitch setup is critical to feeling comfortable.
I don't care to tow a large enclosed trailer with anything but 3500 class truck but I see a lot on the road using a 2500 class truck.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

I have a 24' Cargo mate that I've had for 5 years. My 40 Woodie fits in it just fine as well as 55 chev. plus room at front for work bench and tool drawers. I have pulled it to LA and back 2 times, to the Brainard wind storm and back, to Salt Lake City to pick up my 57 vette and it has been very reliable. I pull it with a 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost getting 17 mpg loaded. Passed overheated and slow vehicles going over the Grapevine. No issues. I don't know what your budget is but remember it can be an extra garage space for a car if you need room inside.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
GB SISSON

C'mon Revenski... If you can't get pictures of that gorgeous tonner up, then there must be a 15 year old kid in the neighborhood that can help you post them. He might not understand multi-piece wheels or mechanical brakes or why you'd even want them, but for heaven's sake, let's see the completed build! Oh, and trailers? You'll get good info here.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
oldandtired

I just ordered an enclosed trailer from USA Cargo Trainers down in Douglas, Georgia. Their website is usacargotrailersales.com. They have a variety of information on that website about their trailers. I used their "design a trailer" feature for the trailer I ordered because I wanted some extra things on the trailer. Their 8.5 x 20 trailer is $4299 and if you wanted one with 7ft height it would be an additional $300 (ramp opening 80") and if you wanted one with 7.5ft height (ramp opening 86in) it would cost $420. There are various other trailer manufacturers in Georgia as well.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
revenski

Hello All... Gary I deserved that. I found that my picture files were way oversized and have adjusted that posting my maximum of 15 shots here.
In the meantime, I am aware of Douglas, Georgia but was a bit apprehensive because I heard something negative about one of the manufacturers. I gather from what I read here that there are several different manufacturers. That's still a 1000+ mile trip from here, so savings might not be all that great in the long haul especially if there are any problems. I do some more checking there however on the different companies that might be there. Thanks again,
Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Vics Stuff

You need to look at Triton Trailers. I have a 20' beavertail with a 5' Vee . It was designed for sleds , atv's and also cars/ trucks . They are 8'6" wide and offer different heights up to 7'6". mine is 7' and I haul cars and other motorized toys. They are 100% aluminum. Mine weighs #2800. I pull it with a 1500 GMC crew cab truck with a 5.3 liter engine with no issues. They are pricey but worth the xtra $$$$ . they use torx flex style axles. I even haul my 2014 Z06 Camaro without any issues on clearance on the bottom.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
flatford8

I would advise Googling any builder to find reviews.... unfortunately I have also read some very negative comments about some manufacturers...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Zax40

I don't have any advice on a trailer builder. But enclosed trailers are a high theft items these days. My friends that have them have started having their tag numbers painted on the roof so it can be seen from the sky and buying wheel boots and tongue locks to make them harder to steal.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
cmbrucew

We had a trailer that was always liable to be stolen, so I cut off the hitch and welded in a receiver. Then I welded a hitch to a 2" solid square stock that was removable.

Bruce
Old 02-17-2020, 10:42 PM   #12
doghair3

Nice looking truck. Are you a Pittsburgh Steeler fan in disguise??
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:41 AM   #13
ford38v8

Just a few considerations to think about:

Insulation
Ventilation
Security at wheels, tow hitch, & doors
Extra space for luggage, tools, & spare parts
Side entry
Extra tie downs
Waterproof floor covering
Wired for interior lights and 120v outlets
Old 02-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghair3 View Post
Nice looking truck. Are you a Pittsburgh Steeler fan in disguise??
That color scheme is right from ford, but not to the public. There were dealer display models with that black body and the chrome yellow fenders and accents. These trucks also had chrome grills and windshield frame. My first flathead truck was exactly like Revenski's, but long past it's prime. I saw the yellow wheels, yellow pinstripe, chrome trim etc under the red brush paint where it was flaking off. Never thought I'd see another til Revenski showed up on Ford Truck Enthusiasts.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #15
oldandtired

Revenski...USA Cargo Trailers lists trailers on the auction site as do various other manufacturers and venders. The nice thing about the auction site is that a lot of buyers leave feedback. USA also provides a 5 year warranty and according to their website they have some type of arrangement wherein someone comes to you to deal with any issues instead of having to get the trailer back to Southern Georgia. That doesn't help much with having to drive a 2000 mile round trip to get the trailer or paying quite a bit to have it delivered. For me, it is only 190 miles to their manufacturing facility.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
revenski

I appreciate the comments about my truck and all the information on trailers. I don't have experience with enclosed trailers, and as I gather more information from the multitude of sites and manufacturers out there, it doesn't seem to point in any one direction. Of course, every manufacturer says they're the best, but as I find owner reviews almost all of the manufacturers have some negative comments. I'm still trying to sort through it all to get the best deal for the money. I don't want to break the bank on a trailer. I came close to doing that on the restoration.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
ford38v8

When you do get one, be sure to pack your own wheel bearings before you put miles on it. A friend bought a new trailer from the manufacturer, and only discovered his dry bearings after driving cross country.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #18
carolina-bob

Just got back from Douglas GA last night. Looked at most of the websites before I left and selected several dealers I wanted to talk to. Shop around as I found $500 - $900 difference for same configuration. Quality varies so look around and don't be afraid to walk if you don't like what you see. Ended up at a manufacturers yard who set me up with local dealer - they don't sell direct to public. Liked the quality and the price - 20 ft v nose over height to fit my model T. Get extra d rings and make sure the axles allow lube through the axle to the back bearings.
carolina-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
35fordtn

I did something similar as Carolina Bob. Bought a 32ft. V-Nose out of Douglas GA. I have had it for three years and have put around 20k miles on it. The tires commonly installed on them are sub par.. Aside from that it's been a decent trailer. BE SURE!!! It has brakes on all four hubs.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #20
CC-Mo

DO NOT buy a Doolittle trailer manufactured in Jeff City Mo.
I've got one, (soon to be replaced) that has leaked terribly since it was a year old.
CC-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote