Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Corrision Inhibitor in Cooling System

I am planning to change the cooling system in my car to water. Too many problems that I suspect are caused by antifreeze. What additives, especially corrosion inhibitor do folks use in the water based system to protect the system from corrosion and deposition? Thanks to all.

Colonel
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Corrision Inhibitor in Cooling System

I have heard of an additive called wetter water. Don't know anything about it, maybe someone who knows more will chime in. If an aluminum heads is used, I would definitely us a sacrificial anode in the top of the radiator.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
fastroadster

a little
soluable oil
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Gary WA

No on water wetter. I use the NAPA 1300 rust inhibitor with distilled water only. From the Great Pacific Northwest. Heated Garage. That's my take on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my cars 001.jpg (90.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Drive Shaft Dave

What problems are caused by anti freeze?
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
Colonel

My experience has been that over time ethylene glycol deteriorates the gasket materials and eventually results in seepage. Water molecules are more forgiving and generally support the integrity of the wet system. Unfortunately, hot water can cause corrosion in radiators and other areas. Adding a corrosion inhibitor to the water makes sense, just as there are a variety of corrosion inhibitors added to the glycol(that is a high percentage of water).

There are some products on the market and I am interested in what folks are using, if anything, with just water in the cooling. I am not looking for a cooling boost--- just corrosion protection. I have read many archived posting of folks that do not use glycol in their cooling system for the reason I mentioned.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
My experience has been that over time ethylene glycol deteriorates the gasket materials and eventually results in seepage. Water molecules are more forgiving and generally support the integrity of the wet system. Unfortunately, hot water can cause corrosion in radiators and other areas. Adding a corrosion inhibitor to the water makes sense, just as there are a variety of corrosion inhibitors added to the glycol(that is a high percentage of water).

There are some products on the market and I am interested in what folks are using, if anything, with just water in the cooling. I am not looking for a cooling boost--- just corrosion protection. I have read many archived posting of folks that do not use glycol in their cooling system for the reason I mentioned.
How much time does this take to occur? Does it only happen with model A engines or all types of cars?

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-19-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

I have always been told that over time (2-3 years) that the additives in anti-freeze break down and become moderately acidic. That's why it is recommended that you change it every two years.

I would think it would have to be in your cooling system quite a while to "deteriorates the gasket materials".
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
CarlG

It is a known fact that anti-freeze will find places to seep out that just plain water won't. However, for me and my house, I would much rather attack the leaks than the problems inherent with not using antifreeze. You only have to replace one cracked head to become a believer.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Water wetter, water pump lube and rust inhibitor, changed every two years. I think the pump lube and rust inhibitor is getting harder to find will try the napa stuff.

That's what I do in Florida, I would never do this in areas that go below freezing. One unforeseen instance and you put your block at risk. Stick with the antifreeze and change it every two years. If the problem of eating away the gaskets were that pronounced this would come up a lot more on this forum.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #11
Bruce Adams

Are you sure you do not have a solution searching for a problem? There are many millions of cars of all ages operating happily with antifreeze in their cooling systems, rust free and cooling properly without cracked blocks.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
Pinesdune

Antifreeze is a smaller molecule, that's why it finds its way/seeps places it shouldn't. And yes, it's highly corrosive on its own and will destroy copper. I've seen it on several tractor head gaskets. Here's a link with a some info.
https://www.cumminsfiltration.ca/pdf...s/3300963A.pdf

Granted you won't have the liner pitting issue, but maybe a SCA/DCA additive might be what you're looking for as far as a corrosion preventer.
With my own equipment, old or newer, I typically run heavy truck antifreeze in everything with a double dose of SCA/DCA but then I have to run a 60/40 antifreeze/water for freeze protection at -45. I use Fleetguard products and have had good results

Looking for the front bumper emblem that has "Ford, Made In Canada"
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
leo

This is a very interesting topic. Lets go back 85 years. Model A's are being run in the winter with methanol (alcohol), the coolant system was unpressurized and radiator caps were vented and not sealed so the alcohol evaporated and had to be added regularly. Surprisingly, methanol increases corrosion of metals. Now we have ethylene glycol which may oxidize to form acids which are also corrosive. We also have propylene glycol which while less toxic than ethylene glycol may also be corrosive. The only product that does not cause corrosion is glycerol which was used before ethylene glycol for antifreeze, however it does have a weaker freeze point and is more expensive than ethylene glycol. Are there any glycerol only antifreezes? Does not appear to be, at best I've found ethylene/glycerol mixes. How about you?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief said some folks would actually use 100% KEROSENE in the winter! He DIDN'T recommend that! TOUGH on hoses. I'd be worried about it being DANGEROUS!
Bill W.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
katy

Quote:
Chief said some folks would actually use 100% KEROSENE in the winter!
I remember some people using kerosene for anti-freeze. Back home, back then, we called it coal oil.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I remember some people using kerosene for anti-freeze. Back home, back then, we called it coal oil.
I'm sure it would be effective in removing greasy scum from the cooling system.
Bill W.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
TDO

Here in West Virginia, I use distilled water with NAPA 1300 rust inhibitor and water pump lube in the warm months. And in winter I use Sierra anti- freeze. I do this because the water runs cooler in the hot days of summer.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
Bruce_MO

I use 50/50 antifreeze and every 1-2 years or so, I add a pint of "No-Rosion Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitor". It's made by an outfit called Applied Chemical Specialties. They also make other additives, wetting agents, etc. I try to drain and replace the antifreeze every 4-5 years... not so concerned about freeze protection, as my cars are always in a garage that never gets below 30-35 degrees
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
For my stationary engines, that just putt putt without doing any work, I use motor oil. It gives enough cooling and no more rust in the hopper.

For my Model A I use 60% antifreeze and 40% water, and have never had an antifreeze problem.

Two nights ago it got so cold that the plastic handle on my snow shovel shrunk and cracked away from the wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shovel Handle.jpg (44.6 KB, 31 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Gold Digger

I don't know all the technical stuff about it but I've used Prestone antifreeze for 55 years with out one problem. If I add water sometime to the radiator I always add more Prestone when I get home and test it to what ever the freeze temperature is for where I'm living. There's never been a rust problem. My 29 sedan has Prestone in it that has been in it since 1968 and haven't had a problem with seepage yet. Knock on wood. Why take a chance letting an engine freeze and bust.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote