Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
fottyjs

Default Early V8 Flea Market at Fitchburg Airport

Many thanks to vendors and spectators for the best yet flea market...The weather was perfect and all vendor spaces were taken...Several hundred cars were on display and everybody seemed to having a good time....See you all next year...
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
RIrover

Default Re: Early V8 Flea Market at Fitchburg Airport

My first but it won't be my last...thank you all
RIrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
39wdy

An exceptional event, the best one ever. We had beautiful weather and the friendliest crowd ever. I did not hear a single disparaging remark, the crowd was enthusiastic and I received a lot of praise for my restored items (that somehow they don't get when I'm working on them in my shop). The mood was kind of like "the good old days" when a stranger was just a friend you hadn't met yet. A lot of excellent parts were available and a great number and variety of V8 cars to enjoy. What could be better! Toby
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Great weather and a great time, met a lot of new friends.........
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
russcc

Right on point, beautiful weather, and nice folks. Spent more time talking to former strangers, and friends than we did scouting for stuff. Everyone was there.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
russcc

If you didn't get a chance to talk to Ken Makuch and see his record holding Bonneville land speed car with the new nose for a shot at the Modified record in 2015. Here is a picture that was taken of Ken, his wife, 2 sons and daughter at Lake Bonneville last August when Speed Week got rained out. Ken went to the Dollar Store and bought a kids swimming pool, a broom for a paddle and the family went boating on Lake Bonneville. How many guys have the whole family for pit crew, and know how to make the best of a big disappointment after towing all the way from Westford Mass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3176.JPG (81.3 KB, 49 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Alan O'Connell

I remember going to car shows 40 years ago and there would be dozens of 30's cars and trucks. Many restored really well. Now you see very few thirties cars at car shows. Much less than 40 years ago. What happened to all of these cars? For example. I had a model A roadster in the 1970's. When I brought it to car shows there would be 10 to 15 model A roadsters in line with my car. Now you might see two or three. I can't imagine that the cars of 40 years ago were scrapped. They were valuable then and more so today. I was disappointed with the Fitchburg meet because there were so many modified cars and very few 30's and 40's cars that were restored to original condition. It's called the early V-8 car show. I didn't see too many original early V-8
cars. Too bad.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Connell View Post
I remember going to car shows 40 years ago and there would be dozens of 30's cars and trucks. Many restored really well. Now you see very few thirties cars at car shows. Much less than 40 years ago. What happened to all of these cars? For example. I had a model A roadster in the 1970's. When I brought it to car shows there would be 10 to 15 model A roadsters in line with my car. Now you might see two or three. I can't imagine that the cars of 40 years ago were scrapped. They were valuable then and more so today. I was disappointed with the Fitchburg meet because there were so many modified cars and very few 30's and 40's cars that were restored to original condition. It's called the early V-8 car show. I didn't see too many original early V-8
cars. Too bad.
I drove mine up, but your right we were a small fraction of the cars.
I wish the club would keep the early Fords in one row together.
That would help show them off. I ended up behind the food tent.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
fottyjs

Brian...Your suggestion about a special parking area for flathead fords is a good one ...I will pass it along to the Team Leader for the Flea Market/Show...
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
32phil

I had a great time at Fitchburg....if I had to voice a complaint.... it would the scarcity of porta pottys...I heard several folks comment on that....I guess at our age.....
"when ya gotta go...ya gotta go" .......other than that.... we are definitely going back next year....only having one small coffee for breakfast next year.....
Old 04-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
GSCOV

Phil- There were a dozen (12) lined up over by the food tent. Never a line, either. But maybe the thought you had was that they should be at either end of the field. I would agree with that. Guess the delivery man wanted to pump them all in line??

Anyways, It was great to see you for a quick hello along with some other friends. We all had the "can't stop gotta find that rare part" drive going on early morning.

If I did have a complaint- It would be that this meet is only once a year and not spring and fall. Good job.

And another compliment- This year they let us start onto the field about 15 minutes earlier and also for the first time, had signs to direct the herd on the access road in. And a live person to direct traffic at the road. 5 stars boys.

Last edited by GSCOV; 04-20-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: a compliment added
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

I'll have to agree, great show, great weather, people, etc BUT please next year distribute the porta potties, please.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Straightpipes

A few guys pee in the bushes......

I think a lot of the folks with stock antique cars are reluctant to drive them any distance due to the speeds, number of idiots on the roads, etc. That's why model Ts are so cheap.

Didn't get there this year as I had to pull an engine on Sunday. It's a great show and I'll bring a pile of treasure next year.....
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote