Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
hope

Default coil

JSEERY Well lets see what happens.

Hope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6349.jpg (62.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6348.jpg (63.6 KB, 108 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: coil

The meter in the second photo looks like it is on some special test setting (it is hard to read in the photo) it should be on the 3 ohm range. Check it and post the reading.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The meter in the second photo looks like it is on some special test setting (it is hard to read in the photo) it should be on the 3 ohm range. Check it and post the reading.

This pic should help show more-clearly what that meter's settings are. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
hope

Quote:

O.K. i will do that, but not tonight its a little to late, i've got 5 past midnight.
Hope.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, hear ya. I thought it was on diode, but it was difficult to read. Thanks V8.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
hope

Quote:

O.K. JSeery.
A quick reply, i checked that, as you said on the 3 ohm range and its .003? ( not posting a picture, because it Messed me up too much).

It will take me a while longer to answer BUBBA, because like i said before on an older post , i'm OLD and with some brain Fade and body ache its very slow going, and i've been (putsering(like Ol' Ron said) so many years on this toy, that i don't want to give up now.

Hope

P.S. i will try hard to minimize the amount of my Posts.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Hang in the hope, you will get it.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
hope

Quote:
Hang in the hope, you will get it.

So what do you think, the reading of .003 primary and the reading of 13.2 in secondary is O.K.
We will see if relocating the coil will remedy the situation.

Hope.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, if it is a 3.0 ohm coil you do not need a ballast resistor. No idea why you are getting strange readings. Did you try it on the 30 scale? Was the ballast resistor on car with the coil you are using? If the coil was not a 1.5 ohm coil and the ballast was connected, like Bubba said, you would think it would be misfiring or not starting. The coil over hearing you would be more like a 1.5 ohm coil without a ballast resistor. It is all very interesting.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
hope

Quote:
Well, if it is a 3.0 ohm coil you do not need a ballast resistor. No idea why you are getting strange readings. Did you try it on the 30 scale? Was the ballast resistor on car with the coil you are using? If the coil was not a 1.5 ohm coil and the ballast was connected, like Bubba said, you would think it would be misfiring or not starting. The coil over hearing you would be more like a 1.5 ohm coil without a ballast resistor. It is all very interesting.
The testing i did, was the coil and resistor out of the car individually.

I will see when i relocate the coil what happens. And a test drive, i cain't go too far as it is not registered, it only happens when its warmed up real good.

In the meantime i have to do the voltage drop (per BUBBA's) recommendation.
Hope
Old 05-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
rotorwrench

It looks like it's reading 3 milli ohms on the 3 ohm scale so it's not far from the first. On the first setting (milli ohms), it read 2.6 milli ohms.

That coil may have a cross short in the primary winding that is reducing its normal value. The secondary was reading 13.2 kilo ohms but it has a lot more windings than the primary. It would normally be a very high resistance.

I would find a known to be good coil to check and verify meter readings. Each different brand & part number of coil will have differences and even the same part number of coil can have variances but they should be within the manufacturer's specification plus or minus percentage range. A 1.5 ohm primary coil should be pretty close to 1.5 ohms.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
hope

Thumbs up Re: coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It looks like it's reading 3 milli ohms on the 3 ohm scale so it's not far from the first. On the first setting (milli ohms), it read 2.6 milli ohms.

That coil may have a cross short in the primary winding that is reducing its normal value. The secondary was reading 13.2 kilo ohms but it has a lot more windings than the primary. It would normally be a very high resistance.

I would find a known to be good coil to check and verify meter readings. Each different brand & part number of coil will have differences and even the same part number of coil can have variances but they should be within the manufacturer's specification plus or minus percentage range. A 1.5 ohm primary coil should be pretty close to 1.5 ohms.

Thanks for your input.
But with all these different numbers floating around, just add to my confusion.
I've got three coils i'm fooling around with, two new chrome (don't care for chrome just don't want to be stranded somewhere because of coil failure) and one OLD one from around the 70's,all 12volts.
I'll buy another reliable name brand if need be. I'm going to have to "Stew" on this for a while.

To: BUBBA: i'd like to answer BUBBA on this thread, (hope he's reading) because i've got too many threads going on in the Barn.

The voltage readings i did are not to my liking, as i don't like the comparison of my readings to your instruction. i will try again, maybe i'm doing something wrong.
The car ran fine while i was doing the readings. Its just that i cannot have confidence in the car, if i'm taking it for a ride and it suddenly just quit in traffic.

Hope
Old 05-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Hope, any chance you could get someone to help you with the voltmeter readings? The condition you are describing is classic coil and/or condenser problem. They run find when cool and than fail when they get hot.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
hope

Quote:
Hope, any chance you could get someone to help you with the voltmeter readings? The condition you are describing is classic coil and/or condenser problem. They run find when cool and than fail when they get hot.
I'm going to change the batteries in my meter to see if there is a difference, and try again.
As for anyone to help, there is only one person i can thing of, and that's a fairly new Wipper Snapper in the neighborhood that i got friendly with, seems to know quite a lot, and want's to help. Other than that all the older Geezers like me are gone
Hope
P.S. i've got some other issues to attend to, my picup truck needs some immediate attention. Oh well one thing at a time, and with little time i can use in a day.