Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
My 34 Ford

Default 1934 Glove box Radio

I hope someone has the answer to this. I had my glove box radio for my 34 repaired some years ago and now I want to put it in the car. The guy that repaired it has passed on and I do not know how to wire this up to the car. I have an antenna lead from the roof so that is no problem but can not figure out why I have 4 posts for the electrical hook up. Does anyone know which post is positive and which is negative? What are the other 2 posts for? All four posts have wires leading into the heart of the radio. Does anyone know where I can get a female plug for this radio? Also I am looking for the faceplate that goes on the front of this radio when it is installed in the glove box. Does anyone have one of these? This is a lot of questions in one post so I will thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5259.JPG (83.5 KB, 54 views)
My 34 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: 1934 Glove box Radio

I just looked at two 34 under dash radios I have and one of them had two sets of male plugs, the other had none. Its been a while since I had a GB radio but the last one had a wire with a fuse recepticle and a wire for the antenna. Do not remember if it had those plugs but I am fairly sure they are for test purposes. If you radio a single wire other than the antenna wire, if so that is for the hot wire.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
quickchange34

pm sent
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
My 34 Ford

Hi jimTN, Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to send me a photo of your under dash radios with the plugs. I am hopping that it is very close to what I have and a photo may give me an idea where I need to hook up the battery wires. My radio has a short antenna lead so I'm OK there. Best regards
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Terry,OH

IF you have the Zenith radio ONLY. The input power plug has two small and two large diameter pins. The input power goes to either or both of the large diameter pins ONLY ( the two large pins are wired together internally in the radio)! You do not use the small pins! Run the input power through a fuse to the input side of the fuse under the dash near the ignition resistor (so the firewall fuse is not protecting the radio). The other side of the input power is the chassis ground. See Ford Service Bulletin April 1934 p. 178
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Lyndon

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this might add to the radio discussion:

What would work to dampen the electrical noise produced by the generator, oil sender, and fuel sender? I have seen diagrams showing what looks like a condensor installed at these locations, but there has never been any for sale at the vendors or anywhere else that I have seen. Would an ignition condensor work?

Right now the radio in my '36 works great when the ignition is off, but has a terrible amount of hums and howls when the engine is running.
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
My 34 Ford

Resistor Spark plugs or a special resistor added to the spark plug and then the plug wire attached to it is what I remember from years ago. Its something I was going to have to look into if I get my radio to work. Good luck