Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
1929 Tudor

Default Zenith carburetor rebuild

Hello everyone,

I am rebuilding my Zenith 2, and am ready for paint on the carb body before reassembly. I can not find any data on painting the inside of the carb, although realize that cast will rust. What is the standard for the inside of the carb, what do I use to keep it from rusting that will not come off and plug passages and jets. Do I use a lacquer paint, or is there a better product?

Thanks, My first A
Chris
1929 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Zenith carburetor rebuild

Look for a can of Aero-Gloss brand, black spray paint at a hobby shop. It claims to be fuel proof and resistant to ethanol. Use it on the outside of the carb body. Nothing needed on the inside.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/top/toptopr7509.htm

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 02-21-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added link
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
glenn in camino

My experience is that AeroGloss is not as fuel, gasoline, resistant as it used to be. Single stage, two part automotive enamel works much better. Don't paint the inside.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
1929 Tudor

Thank you both for your reply, I appreciate the information.
My concern is that with the ethanol drawing moisture, it may cause rust in the carb due to the car not being a daily driver. Am I just overthinking this?
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
jimvette59

Use a stabilizer in the gas like Stay-Bul, it works for me. JMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I never paint the inside of the zenith's for the reason of it breaking down and screwing up the carb... I paint the outside with a lacquer spray can which is fuel resistant.. I'm now in the process of rebuilding a couple using powder coat on the outside...
Yes IMO your overthinking it..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
RonC

Epoxy seems to hold up the best. Japan asphaltum is what Ford used would be the best if someone could devise a simple receipe
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I never paint the inside of the zenith's for the reason of it breaking down and screwing up the carb... I paint the outside...
Ditto
Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I used Aero-Gloss on the inside and outside. I've had to use some crap gas several times, and after 16 years the black on the inside has slowly disappeared, but the outside is just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
My experience is that AeroGloss is not as fuel, gasoline, resistant as it used to be. Single stage, two part automotive enamel works much better. Don't paint the inside.
I meant to say Lustercoat spray paint.(Same link, above)
Gasoline and ethanol will not take it off, won't touch it !
Dries really fast too.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
1929 Tudor

Thank you all for the advice, bought the A last fall and am going through things before putting any miles on. Plan on driving it to The Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village this year and am really enjoying this great piece of history!
I was thinking about powder coat for the carb, and may give that a try. I bead blasted the manifolds and have them in paint ready to reinstall. Also have to remove the gas tank to fix a leak and repaint. Will eventually do a frame up restoration as there are a few changes that I desire, although want to enjoy it for a few years first. The last restoration was in the late 80's, early 90's and I was lucky enough to see part of the process.
You will most likely have an opportunity to answer more questions for me in the future, if you are willing. lol

Regards,

Chris
Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Just wondering . . . Are all Zenith Carburetors troublesome and burn rich no matter what? Decades ago when the antique car crowd that I mingled with owned numerous Model A Fords, the general consensus was that Zenith carbs were lousy. Many of those guys cursed and hated Zeniths. At the time, being young, I thought they were just a bunch of eccentric old geezers. It was standard procedure then (1960s) to as soon as acquiring a Model A Ford, rip out the Zenith and replace it with good working Tillotson carburetor. During those years, I put hundreds of miles on Model A Ford cars running Tillotsons. Presently have a 31' Ford tudor with what looks to be a refurbished Zenith carburetor. That handsome carb is a true thing of mechanical beauty! The previous owner mechanically restored this car and it operates well except for running very rich in the gasoline department. Acquired the "A" last fall and have put about 50-miles on it zipping around the back roads here in northeast PA. Have the fuel knob tweaked down to it's most lean setting. Still . . . the car smells like gasoline with frequent black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. That Model A ford 4-banger also seems to guzzle gasoline like a 70s era Lincoln Mk IV. It's a pig! As soon as the weather warms up out there, a freshly overhauled Tillotson goes on. Perhaps the restless ghosts of the old time Zenith hating Model A Ford guys might then be put to rest.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 Tudor View Post
Thank you all for the advice, bought the A last fall and am going through things before putting any miles on. Plan on driving it to The Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village this year and am really enjoying this great piece of history!
I was thinking about powder coat for the carb, and may give that a try. I bead blasted the manifolds and have them in paint ready to reinstall. Also have to remove the gas tank to fix a leak and repaint. Will eventually do a frame up restoration as there are a few changes that I desire, although want to enjoy it for a few years first. The last restoration was in the late 80's, early 90's and I was lucky enough to see part of the process.
You will most likely have an opportunity to answer more questions for me in the future, if you are willing. lol

Regards,

Chris

I would definitely discourage powder coating a Zenith. There is a good chance the powder coater will plug off some of the passageways. it will also be very difficult to deal with in the future. Also the use of POR is discouraged. Moisture and rust will get under the paint and it will later peel off in layers. That that doesn't will be extremely difficult to get off.

Use the paint several above have described. it will hold up well enough against the fuel and is easy to get off for another round of restoration.

The secret to a good Zenith restoration:

Make sure all the passageways are open.

Install jets that have been flow tested and resized to the proper values.
Most found are way off the mark.

Set the float level to the specified height and make sure it can hold that value for a reasonable length of time.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
1929 Tudor

Thank you Tom, I will use paint. My Zenith was a total disaster when I disassembled it, had to soak it in a bucket of industrial grade carb cleaner for days. A previous owner coated the inside with something and it plugged passages, I was surprised that I was able to start the car at all! Doing things correctly the first time is how I roll, always reading, researching and asking questions. I gathered drill bits as recommended in various A publications and am going to check all jets, also read about the float adjustment and opted to replace the needle seat with a Viton tip seat. There are a lot of small items which I have discovered that were missed during the cars last restoration. The corrections will make a big difference in reliability and performance.