Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
malpais

Default All our "junk".

Many times on the forum, I've seen "never throw anything (or nuthin') away. Not to be morbid, but what do you think will happen to all our "valuable" Ford parts when we're not here any more (I ain't in a hurry). "I didn't have the heart" post made me think about this. For instance, my son wouldn't have an idea what that clamshell or 36 coil was.....

Or maybe we don't care? A friend of mine said "heck, I don't need life insurance - dont want her to have a good time when I'm gone.

Gordon
Old 03-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Mike B

Default Re: All our "junk".

I hear ya...my situation...not just old Ford stuff, but much more...I have 3 girls...will they research it and sell it off and make some good bucks?...

I dunno...honestly I don't care, I'm 6 foot under, so not much worth to me
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Binx

All of my scrounge has ID with price as-of date labels wired to them if that sudden moment comes. I've told my wife what the whole shebang is worth if she has a take-all buyer.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
cmbrucew

I have told my son and wife people to contact to help dispose of my cars, tools and equipment.
Probably will not work out as I planned, but there should be enough to go around, if no one gets too greedy.
Bruce
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
texas webb

Good idea Binx,I've got a list that I add to(as $$$ allows)
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
All of my scrounge has ID with price as-of date labels wired to them if that sudden moment comes. I've told my wife what the whole shebang is worth if she has a take-all buyer.

Lonnie
I recently updated the price tags on my parts inventory discovering that some of those "treasures" had appreciated in value significantly. Lets face it: age wise most of us are in the "zone" and whoever comes after stands to inherit a problem dealing with our "junk." If we can give them a leg up by identifying the part and attaching a value, the process of unloading these parts will be that much easier. JMO
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
bart78

A lot of people's stuff will be unloaded at auctions. Price tags mean nothing there. My Grandfather told me once. If he was worried about getting his money back out of all his stuff. He would sell it himself.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Lawrie

I was going to junk a 99a block that had thick liners in it and was rusty,my boy hit the roof,so now its back under the bench.
Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Sid the Maineiac

Laurie, gotta love your boy !! I have a grandson who has an interest in all my junk.He and I are doing inventory now and he's learning what all these" junk pieces "are all about !
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #10
Sixseven

Forget putting a price on it. Imagine the young adult going through their parents house "at that time", holding something in the air saying what's this? That part could be tossed over the left shoulder into the trash or over the right shoulder into a bin for Craigslist. I think it is most important to label the part at the very least with year and make.

We all dream of finding that part that is highly desired and significantly under priced, purchased from an estate sale. Better to have the part go to use even if sold for a low price then to be discarded and lost forever.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
Forget putting a price on it. Imagine the young adult going through their parents house "at that time", holding something in the air saying what's this? That part could be tossed over the left shoulder into the trash or over the right shoulder into a bin for Craigslist. I think it is most important to label the part at the very least with year and make.

We all dream of finding that part that is highly desired and significantly under priced, purchased from an estate sale. Better to have the part go to use even if sold for a low price then to be discarded and lost forever.
Agreed. Had a cousin that was a scrounger. 2 Houses full of stuff. When the time came to clean it all out not only was it a Huge task for the family but they put as much valuable stuff in the dumpster as they sold because they had no idea or cared to find out what it was. They just wanted it done.
Torchie
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
32phil

I'm 66 and what I am trying to do now is get rid of stuff I am never going to use. My kids are into the hobby but they have their area of interest and some of my things don't interest them. I try to sell parts to folks that are going to use them on their projects....I don't need anyone(dealers) to "help" me sell stuff. I can do that my self. I think we all should begin to pass stuff on while we can rather than hold onto to it only to have it scrapped because no one knows or cares what it is......not gonna use it ? Pass it on
Old 03-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
4tford

someone will get very lucky as wife will most likely sell everything for what I told her I paid for it.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
BILL WZOREK

What is the VALUE = the price we put on a item.
What it is worth = is what someone will pay for the item.

We love our cars / our hobby so we thinks things are worth a lot in our eyes ~ But in others eyes not so much.

What kind of value would you put on a well built Low rider or a rice rocket that some of these kids have now.
probably no where's near what it is worth.
To them it is our 32 ~ 40 coupe or woody.

I think it is more important to let our loved ones know who they should contact & trust when it is time to let go of " OUR DREAMS "

BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
Charlie ny
BANNED

I'm way over 65 with a stash of Flathead goodies which have paid for themselves
many times over. I'm cautious about adding to the stash but readily sell when the
opportunity presents itself EVEN IF what I'm selling is the last one in my stash. My
son who lives far away knows it's OK to sell the whole shebang for what ever he
can get. He knows who to call, a couple local guys and Mac VanPelt , EVERYTHING
goes the the best offer.
While I'm alive these goodies are my friends and 'we' work together in the
shop everyday.....when I'm gone they'll find a new friend.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
paul2748

There are plenty of stories that when a collector of parts dies a lot of the time the parts go to the dump or for scrap. In most cases, the kids and the wife consider it junk, especially if it's dirty or rusty.

The best thing you can do it sell before. If your up in your late 70's or 80's and have no plans for another build, sell it to someone that can use it. At least the cash will help in your retirement.

I'm 75 and that's what I doing. Selling off the excess at prices that will sell
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #17
V12Bill

I just turned 79 and have sold a lot of "stuff" on ebay. There was nothing exotic, just a lot of odds and ends. Over a 6 month period I sold over $3,000. in parts. I have trouble picking pictures out of my file to post in ads now, but hope to get that straightened out and sell the rest, maybe about $500. worth. If I don't get rid of it now, it will go to the curb for the trash pickers who only know scrape value.
A friend of mine closed a restoration business and had an auction to get rid of his special equipment and excess parts. He was very disappointed at the results of the auction. Many things did not even get a bid. He sold some things on ebay and was satisfied with the prices that he got. Had he started to sell on ebay 2 yeas ago, he would have gotten rid of a lot more at better prices.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
ora masters

i have a son in/law that has a hard ware story he is an antique nut like me there will be a auction that will be in old cars and Hemmengs i think there will be a crowd
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Shadetree

I am so fortunate. I have a 50 year old son and a 19 year old grandson that are very much into old cars, trucks and airplanes. My junk will be well received...
Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
FHFD

Having lost both of my elderly parents (who never thru anything away) within the last couple of years.
I can tell you it was not an easy task, losing your parents is hard enough, then to have to go through/deal with a huge amount of stuff (from a distance), is a real burden.
Do your survivors a favor, deal with it while your still around, providing you are physically and mentally able (who better than you, to know the worth, where to take it to market, and who can appreciate your stuff).
Take the proceeds, and ear mark the monies to who you want to have it.