Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #41
bobH

Default Re: fair price for 34 ford victoria

Ora, I've really got to admire you. If I read another thread correctly, I believe it said 87+. Hope I can begin a similar project, on your schedule. It's a goal that I should adopt.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #42
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster36 View Post
I guess there are some of you out there with the last name of Drake, Carpenter,Lebaron Bonney, Dupont, etc. where you get your parts for free. You must also have chrome shops in your basements and spray booth's in your bedrooms. On the last few cars I did I bought kits from LeBarron Bonney- 2,500 bucks, at least 3,000 from Bob Drake,Carpenter, etc, chrome shop bills over 4,000 ('34 grilles alone are over 2,000 to plate if the grille is decent), paint and materials 2,000, engine parts 2,000, driveline and brake parts 500.00, glass at 500.00 and on and one and on. So here we are at close to 15K before any work has even begun and the "surprises" surface.On the 25K Victoria you are now at 40K before the compressor or welders are even warmed up. If you have metal work like floors, firewalls, etc. it adds even more. I saw a super nice Victoria on one of the TV auctions in the 70K range and there was a V8 Club winner on EBAY that sold in the 50K range. Both were stock and very high quality cars. I have seen them locally for less than 40K. My point is that doing it yourself is great if you admit the fact that you will be spending more money and time by doing it that way. The numbers do not lie. If you get enjoyment from it by all means have at it. Personally after several dozen car built over the years I do not need to prove my skills to anyone at this point and will gladly hand a job over to someone willing to accept payment for quality services rendered. Buying is cheaper than building. It has not always been that way but is the reality now. It would be nice to be qualified and competent do it all and not have to farm anything out. I have a quote on my shop wall somewhere " too bad those that know it all can't do it all". Anyone that says they can do a top quality job on a total restoration at home for less than they can purchase one for has been breathing too much Imron. Restoring tractors and properly restoring V8 Fords are two different things.

Ya...but...

Look at things this way...

Many of us do not have the funds to buy a "completed" car, so we think of it as like buying a house...

Put a little down (say as car speak 5K), make our payments (as in car speak, buy some parts, do some work to it)...get it all paid off (as the car is done, ...

Now, the 100K house you bought cost you 300K in payments over the loan life, why didn't you just plunk down a 100K to stat with?

I'll answer that, because you didn't have the 100K a the time, but wanted that house.

Point being not all have 50K on hand to buy a car, so in essence we "finance" the 4K heap we bought over the life of the build...sure, at the end we could have looked back and said "geez, for what I spent on this I could have bought two of them",,....well...then in that case I guess we should all just putt our extra moneys aside until "the day" come..me, naw...would rather buy a heap. play with it...beats watching TV until the money is saved up.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #43
ora masters

hey 34 did you get your 4 door for $5,000.00
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #44
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Ya...but...

Look at things this way...

Many of us do not have the funds to buy a "completed" car, so we think of it as like buying a house...

Put a little down (say as car speak 5K), make our payments (as in car speak, buy some parts, do some work to it)...get it all paid off (as the car is done, ...

Now, the 100K house you bought cost you 300K in payments over the loan life, why didn't you just plunk down a 100K to stat with?

I'll answer that, because you didn't have the 100K a the time, but wanted that house.

Point being not all have 50K on hand to buy a car, so in essence we "finance" the 4K heap we bought over the life of the build...sure, at the end we could have looked back and said "geez, for what I spent on this I could have bought two of them",,....well...then in that case I guess we should all just putt our extra moneys aside until "the day" come..me, naw...would rather buy a heap. play with it...beats watching TV until the money is saved up.
Exactly what I was thinking Mike B.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #45
ora masters

mike i have restored 10 cars and trucks i still fave them so yes even at 87 i can still work on them long story short i WONT a 34 victoria
Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #46
Sid the Maineiac

Ora, go for it !I like your attitude ! Age is only a number , the real secret is looking forward and making plans for the future !Damn sight better than sitting around waiting for" that car everyone is dying to ride in" Hope the owner of that Victoria has the wisdom to sell that car to you!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #47
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora masters View Post
mike i have restored 10 cars and trucks i still fave them so yes even at 87 i can still work on them long story short i WONT a 34 victoria
Then do what you can and what you want...if you have the skill to take care of it, you'll be ahead of the game in "looking back mode"...keep on keeping on Ora, I sure hope I can urn a wrench at 80 plus...yourself and guys like Walt, Ole Ron, etc, have my envy")_
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #48
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster36 View Post
I guess there are some of you out there with the last name of Drake, Carpenter,Lebaron Bonney, Dupont, etc. where you get your parts for free...
Nice assumption. Just like assuming those who would prefer to purchase a whole car rather than fix a chicken coop type project don't have the skills to do the latter.

The whole purpose of this thread was to evaluate the value of the car described in the initial post. The final cost, whether the work is farmed out or done "in house" is moot. The initial value is the same either way.

Given the initial description, I see the following bullet items. This is what needs to be evaluated. Nothing else.

• Doors rusty in bottom corners
  • Fenders present, but rusty in corners
  • Fairly straight, no major dents
  • Needs drivetrain rebuilt
  • Has all trim and window mouldings (which are hard to find)
  • Never had previous patchwork (of potentially dubious quality)

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts

Last edited by itslow; 02-18-2015 at 09:43 AM.
itslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #49
ora masters

thanks Mike 34 in lynchberg va is still for sale if he atill has it when the weather gets warm will take tires and wheels and cash if car is as good as i think i will rent a car trailer and bring it home talked with him this morning 3/1/15 cant wait till warm weather 750 miles one way so will be a nice trip for my 2015 CANYON PICK UP i hope it works out thanks every one for all of your help ORA

Last edited by ora masters; 03-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #50
ora masters

how about a laugh this snow cold day got an email this morning from Maryland says he has an all original 1934 victoria for ?1875 ? wants my shipping address he will pay shipping cost and ship it UPS all i have to do is send him a money gram
Old 03-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #51
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That sounds like a deal hard to pass up. Having UPS drop it off at your door would help too!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #52
39topless

Quote:
how about a laugh this snow cold day got an email this morning from Maryland says he has an all original 1934 victoria for ?1875 ? wants my shipping address he will pay shipping cost and ship it UPS all i have to do is send him a money gram
Really funny. This guy has no idea what a "Victoria" is. Probably thinks it's an old bake-lite(?) cylinder player. He will probably include the complete box set of Rudy Valley hits if you act today!!!.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #53
Jim in Wisconsin

Maybe his grandma's name is Victoria and he's trying to sell her.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #54
-Big Al-

Quote:

Ora, it must have been his brother that wanted to sell me deuce 3W seat for $300.00 shipped and pay with money gram, no harm in trying i guess. good luck with the victoria hunt.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #55
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

Guy probably means a Victrola. .
Old 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #56
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
For posts #52, 53 and 55 above, it shows that the scammers are alive and well, scheming right here on the 'Barn amongst us. Wake-up guys! They're phishing for any opportunity. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #57
TJ

I posted a want ad on here about a week ago and just got an e-mail from a Timothy L Brown who allegedly owns the Timothy L Brown Restoration Shop in Tennessee. He called me "buddy' and said he had the part I needed. You can put this guy's name on your list of scammers. A Google search for this guy turns up nothing and no shops listed by that name in Tennessee.

Last edited by TJ; 03-02-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #58
ora masters

hey ford barner,s more fun just got another email from my old buddy in maryland sent some good 34 victoria pictures he wants 1,875 dollars for the vicky he wants it in two money grams one half each i emailed him back and said i would only give him $1,200 even told me where to find the money gram place i cant wait till he takes me up hhhhhhhhh
Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #59
39topless

Quote:
hey ford barner,s more fun just got another email from my old buddy in maryland sent some good 34 victoria pictures he wants 1,875 dollars for the vicky he wants it in two money grams one half each i emailed him back and said i would only give him $1,200 even told me where to find the money gram place i cant wait till he takes me up hhhhhhhhh
Could you set up a sting with the local FBI and get this guy when he goes to pickup the money gram?
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #60
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Could you set up a sting with the local FBI and get this guy when he goes to pickup the money gram?
Great idea. it's about time that someone can assist in catching one of these scumbags. Problem may be this creep could be in Nigeria and some dummy may be the one he has conned into picking up the money.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote