Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
JRHASZARD

Default Rear spring bolt head

Talking about 1939 pickup rear spring center bolt. Using the correct square head bolt from Roy N. It seems like the head should slip into the square hole in the crossmember. I would propose the hole provides relief clearance for the bolt head, but also serves to prevent the spring from shifting laterally. I want to use a padding between the top of the spring and underside of the crossmember at the contact area. I purchased this material from Roy also. I am thinking about cutting a center piece out of this strap to provide clearance for the bolt head. Will the u bolts compress the strap material enough to allow the head to protrude into the hole? Has anyone done this? The strap looks like stiff canvass like the frame/body webbing for a Model A. My intention is to protect paint and avoid future corrosion. Thanks.
John
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: Rear spring bolt head

Cut a hole in it, it will help keep the welting in place when you jack the rear up to bolt in place. I was in a older napa store last fall looking for a spring center bolt and the brought out a old box full of 5/16 and 3/8 center bolt with the square head. They couldnt get a listing in the computer...i asked how much for the entire box and the manager said $5.00. Then they couldnt understand why i wanted all of them......early Christmas present to myself
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
JRHASZARD

Forgot to mention I would make a few wraps of tape around the spring and strap pad to keep it oriented while bolting in place. Thanks Blue Henner.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Krylon32

I'd put a dab of black silicon between the webbing the spring and let it dry. Even the concourse judges can't find that.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You could place a spacer under the bolt head like a washer to raise the height of the head above the pad.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
JRHASZARD

Great ideas, thanks
Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Hi John,
With the thickness of the square head on the original Ford spring bolt, and the thickness of the pads used by Ford, the square bolt head should stand proud of the pad leaving plenty length of the head to key into the mating hole in center of cross member.
Make sure that square bolt head is aligned properly on the spring so that it will easily fit into the square hole in the cross member. I've seen those holes in front and rear cross members damaged/distorted due to misalignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04029-2.jpg (86.4 KB, 35 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
19Fordy

Instead of the OEM webbing, I used a strip of .090 aluminum sheet metal with a hole cut in it for the bolt head. Won't rust,squeak,hold water or deteriorate. Been working well for last 40 years.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
DavidG

Unless the thickness of the bolt head is inadequate, with a square hole cut in the webbing it will stay in place without any adhesive and I sure would not use a washer as that would compromise the interface between the top of the spring and the bottom of the cross member. The NOS versions for that pad come with the square hole in them and they are the same material as the 1/16" thick frame webbing.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Unless the thickness of the bolt head is inadequate, with a square hole cut in the webbing it will stay in place without any adhesive and I sure would not use a washer as that would compromise the interface between the top of the spring and the bottom of the cross member. The NOS versions for that pad come with the square hole in them and they are the same material as the 1/16" thick frame webbing.
David, I was assuming one would use a washer thinner than the thickness of the compressed webbing. If the shape is a concern a square washer could be used. But then if the bolt head is tall enough (as the original was) then it wouldn't be needed.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-15-2017 at 12:18 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Like you Dave, I've never used any adhesive or for that matter anything else to hold that pad in place.
This one isn't "rocket science"...
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
woodiewagon46

I have an interchangeable hole punch set from 1/4" to 1". I used a 3/4" punch and the bolt head fits just right over the square head and secures itself and the bolt head fits into the square hole. No glue, tape or silicone.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote