Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Ed Solari

Default Tack strip clarification

Per my previous post about fabing new tack strips for 32 to 39 ford. From questions I have received I need to clarify what is the tack strip metal being fabed BY ME and the insert material the tack nails into being sourced by me.
It is the tack strip that is mounted to the body (NOT the top bows) and used to attach the convertible top material. In 36/37 closed cars I am told it is used to attached interior header uphostery.

The metal looks like a "C" with square corners (3/4 x 11/32 with 3/16 return ears) in 20 gauge cold rolled steel ...24 inch sections. The tack materical will be PVC plastic and probably not the OEM paper). You must slide the tack material on the straight channel and then install as one unit ... bending and riviting it to the body.

One production run and this it ... it is pain to make these things which is why no one has done it since 39.
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
john worden

Default Re: Tack strip clarification

photos would be good
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Vic Piano

Ed, I did something similar with the plastic (using it in place of the original metal "C" channel that had rotted away on most of the bottom side) on our '39 LZ Convertible Club Coupe. I used the original rivet holes in the body "lip" and applied heat with a heat gun to bend the plastic to the body contour. I drove the car over to the upholstery shop, that has installed several convertible tops for me, and they said that the “plastic” would make an excellent anchor for the top installation. I wish I could have found metal “C” channel to use…
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
DavidG

Ed,

As I mentioned to you in an e-mail, the only '32 Ford that used a steel tack strip to attach the top fabric to the body quarter panels is the cabriolet. All of the other '32 open car tops are attached directly with tacks (phaeton and convertible sedan) or indirectly with 'cinch' fasteners (the roadster) to wood belt rails. '33-'36 phaeton tops are also tacked into wood belt rails and don't utilize the subject steel tack strip.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Vic Piano

Hi David, when you say '32 Convertible Sedan, are you referring to the B-400 or was there actually another '32 designated as a Convertible Sedan? I’m just curious. Vic
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Only one, and it's body designation was B400.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Steve Staysko

Ed is referring to the metal tack strip pieces at the top of each side of the rear quarter panels where the convertible top rear fabric side panels are tack to the body. In the photo that I’ve attached the metal tack strips are screwed to the upper rear quarter panel they should actually be riveted to the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934 rdstr 018.jpg (39.9 KB, 173 views)
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Steve/IL

Smile Re: Tack strip clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi David, when you say '32 Convertible Sedan, are you referring to the B-400 or was there actually another '32 designated as a Convertible Sedan? I’m just curious. Vic
Just to throw this out to spark more responses:

It's an odd characterization, but it seems that the 32 Convertible Sedan is the only 32 that is commonly referred to by it's Model Number. You sure don't hear a 32 Three Window 'Deluxe' Coupe called a B-520 (unless it's by one of us 32 nuts). It's another bag of worms when talking about the 32 Five Window 'Standard' Coupe with or without cowl lights and with a painted versus chrome windshield frame. I thought that I knew alot about 32s until I got Dave Rehor's two volume 32 Books. Thanks, David G!

Another somewhat confusing Ford identifier is the mid to late 30s, Cabriolets with one seat/rumble seat and Club Cabriolets with two seats/trunk (I got that right didn't I?). I think the same rumble seat/trunk deal applied respectively to 35 and 36 Three Window and Five Window Coupes? The Two Door Convertible Coupes and Four Door Convertible Sedans are easier to understand, but still somewhat strange to non-Ford folks.

Can you guys and gals come up with some other Ford oddities from the 30s and 40s?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
DavidG

Steve,

You're right; nobody talks about their B-68 or B-190 or B-76. The V-8 Club in the interest of simplicity (?) threw out all of the unique '32 body style number designations and applied abbreviated post-'32 designations (such as B-45 becoming 18-77A).

Cowl lamps were available as a dealer-installed extra cost options on all '32s, including commercial vehicles and big trucks. In some jurisdictions outside of North America, they were required as standard equipment on all vehicles. Their presence on a '32-'34 Ford does not signify in and of itself that the body type was a deluxe version

The only '32 closed car with a chrome-plated windshield frame was the B-520 deluxe coupe (3-window); all the other closed body types came with a body-color painted windshield frames.

The differing treatment of windshield frame finishes between '32 models and those immediately following has caused more a few 'differences of opinion' in judging, especially in the AACA.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
oldschoolrodder62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Staysko View Post
Ed is referring to the metal tack strip pieces at the top of each side of the rear quarter panels where the convertible top rear fabric side panels are tack to the body. In the photo that I’ve attached the metal tack strips are screwed to the upper rear quarter panel they should actually be riveted to the body.
I've got a 37 5 pass cabriolet. Your picture gives me a better idea how the rear of the top is fastened. I have a piece of metal that fits all around from one side to the other. It has tack strip material in it, but its whipped. I am going to try what you have instead.
Thanks TW
oldschoolrodder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #11
aandkt

Vic Piano
When you refer to "Plastic" What kind of plastic are you referring to? Is it polypropylene the more softer plastic? I can't imagine nailing into plastic. Your answer in interesting but I am lost and in need of some kind of tack strip too.
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
DavidG

While I do not know what kind of plastic it is made of, it sure holds tacks as well or better than the original pressed paper or hard wood. LeBaron Bonney stocked it before their demise and it is presently available by the foot from restorationspecialties.com in Pennsylvania in various cross section dimensions and likely as well from other suppliers.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
Mark40

Ed,
I have a 1940 convertible and I have an area about 3 feet in length of the metal channel that is rusted. Can you be chance guide me to someone who might carry a section? Im almost ready to paint and need this badly.
Thanks Mark Waters 864-921-2987

Last edited by Mark40; 10-17-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Mark40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
cas3

I do not know the correct name, but model T folks are using a plastic that is softer than PVC, more like the plastic boards for decks that are made to drive a nail thru
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote