Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Newbie and What do I have?

Yes, the AA has an excellent well built rearend and the brakes are LARGE. You'll have good stopping power and I'd keep them mechanical. You could go with an overdrive tranny for more speed. or go with an overdrive. With the short front section of driveshaft it will make installing an overdrive, or overdrive tranny much easier.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
kelley's restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl009 View Post
Tom - Interesting and releaving. I was worried that I just didn't know enough on the way home.

TK - Probably is the same one, I got it in Mansfield TX. I'll never forget the names of the cities around there as I broke down on the side of the highway after I picked her up. It was a rough weekend to say the least, but then after driving that far there was no way I was coming home without her. What parts were you looking for?

i was just looking for some interior parts
alot of misc nothings that are hard to find.. but not worth 15 hr drive 1 way
tk
Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
scl009

I'm going with a 76 ford 300 straight six if I can fit her in there, with a ZF 5 speed trans that has a .77 overdrive.

Most of the interior parts ar gone, this body is really just a shell. Sorry TK
scl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #24
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Great looking truck
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #25
MikeK

It is definitely a 160B slant Town Sedan, not a 160A slant std. Fordor or 160C Deluxe Blindback. The 160A slant fordor did not have cowl lamps, and your cowl has the holes for them near the stainless trim band. (see picture below) The 160C did not have the extra 3rd side windows in the back.

You also definitely have the wrong radiator shell, it is a 1930, you need a '31. The only difference is the '31 has an extra painted inset panel at the top of the shell. Bolt on swap, you might find someone to trade shells.

NICE project you have there. Just add cash
!

Here's the engine going in my 160B a couple years ago.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
scl009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It is definitely a 160B slant Town Sedan, not a 160A slant std. Fordor or 160C Deluxe Blindback. The 160A slant fordor did not have cowl lamps, and your cowl has the holes for them near the stainless trim band. (see picture below) The 160C did not have the extra 3rd side windows in the back.

Thanks for that info, it will probably help when looking for parts and such, even though I have a ton of metal work to do first

Quote:
You also definitely have the wrong radiator shell, it is a 1930, you need a '31. The only difference is the '31 has an extra painted inset panel at the top of the shell. Bolt on swap, you might find someone to trade shells.
Quote:
Another newbie (i think) mentioned that earlier. It doesn't affect the fitment and alignment of the hood though right? I just don't get why it doesn't line up a little better than that, yet on the other hand I don't think the body is attached to the frame "properly" anyway.

I'm also thinking about getting an AA radiator shell, that would give me an extra inch or so in length for the engine compartment, and probably keep the same mounting holes as what is presently on my chassis. Anyone know if this might work or if the AAs used the same hood or not. I know a ton of parts were interchangeable.

Scott
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

AA should have the same hood and fenders as the car. If the AA has a sidemount, then the sidemount hole would be larger for the larger tire.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #28
MikeK

Scott,
The AA radiator shell will not give you an extra inch. The hood is the same, but the shell will stick forward more, requiring a different, thicker, expensive radiator. Worst of all, a AA rad shell is plain painted steel, not the nice stainless used on the 30 & 31 cars that buffs to a mirror shine. You've got a nice original car. Why make a Frankenstein out of it? A restored 160B is a real cool, flashy head turner in stock trim.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #29
scl009

I happen to like plain steel

I see your point though, just looking at alternatives. Remember I'm not looking to do a full restore, but just make it look original.

Also I might disagree with you on the "nice" part. Even though most of the body shell is there, everything is gonna need some major metal work, including all 4 doors, cowl, floor, dash, parts I don't even know the names of, and especially the wheel wells. I also really need to get it off the frame oto see more because the front two crossmembers are craked in half making the whole thing severely out of alignment. I hope oit hasn't twisted the body too much.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #30
scl009

Mike or anyone else, do you know where I can get body mounting blocks.

I was looking at Mac's and they have them for 160A and 160C.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
MikeK

I believe the 160 A/B/C all sit on the same blocks. Trim and two less windows on the 'C' were the only differences. Bratton's and Snyder's should have them too.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #32
scl009

Quote:

Nice!! it looks like I have a cowl from a 160B in my garage thats in better condition than the one on the car (later 31 as it has the indented firewall). It also has the holes for cowl lamps and the windsheild pillars are in a lot better condition. Looks like someone dropped something on the drivers side messing up the windsheild pillar and the roof/part above the door.

Side question, Anyone know where to get wood patterns for the body blocks, structural wood?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
Aerocraft

Sure appears to be a slant windshield fordor. Could it be that someone was in process of chopping the top? You may have rescued it from a sad fate.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote