Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
scl009

Default body blocks 31 S/W Fordor

Anyone else have problems with their body blocks from Brattons. I think the front blocks don't fit and have the holes in the incorrect position, or their pic on their website is wrong. I've tried switching the sides, putting them in backwards, and any other combo I could think of. It seems like I might have to shave off 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the width to get them in there.

Also they only have 3 holes instead of the 4 like they have on their diagram.

Scott
scl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Jerry in Shasta

Smile Re: body blocks 31 S/W Fordor

The front mounting blocks for a s/w are different than a other sedans.

Could it be that you have a s/w body on a non-s/w frame. it thats the case only one of the mounting bolts will line up with out moving the mounting flange on the frame.

Just my W.A.G. at the problem
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
scl009

Default Re: body blocks 31 S/W Fordor

I am trying to put the S/W fordor on an AA chassis. I'm running into problems before I even get that far. The blocks won't fit into the recessed area where the holes are. The recessed floor makes the space too narrow for the block to sit flush in its mounting position.

I'll try and take some picks to show what I mean tomorrow.

thanks
Scott
Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Are not the A and AA frames different? Why would you think blocks from catalog would work without modification? You wil most likely have to modify the blocks you now have or make your own. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Ed Saniewski

Scott, I used the blocks from Brattons a few years ago and they worked out ok. Is there a chance there is something stuck in the slot where the block goes? On a second note, the S/W sedans used an extra mounting flange that is riveted to the outside of the frame. Dose your frame have that? Page 33 of How to restore your Model A vol. 6 has a drawing of the frame and where the blocks go.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
quickchange

Scott, Why are you putting a slant screen on an AA frame ??as they are much longer & heavier, Am looking at a project here that involves sedan body on AA frame, so am interested what you are up too. Derek from the shaky island , now over 2000 after shocks , one over 5 yesturday. Don,t feel them at our end even only 200mls away.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Doug in NJ

Bratton's S/W blocks worked OK for my car. By the "front" blocks, you mean the ones under the windshield pillars, that are hold to the body with a couple of wood screws?
I think for those, I had to carve just a little bit off of the lower front outside corner, to avoid a collision with the bottom lips of the cowl panels.

BTW, I did have one other issue: the rear blocks (the big ones) were not quite tall enough. The bottom lip of the wheel well tended to bump into the outer edge of the rear crossmember. I needed to shim them with 1/8" plywood on top. (Or I could have used one extra rubber shim, I guess.)

Doug
Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
scl009

This is my goal

I had this idea and then found a guy on the AA forum that had done it already. This is his truck

I know the frame is different, but thought the front mounts were the same. Yes the bracket is on the outside of the frame.

I'm not even getting that far though. The body block doesn't fit the body
This is a pic of the block from the top, of the passenger side, inside the body for orientation purposes.

This is a pic of the problem - when I place the block in its recessed area underneath the body it doesn't fit flush with the floor, while lining up with bolt holes

I took a pic from the top while holding the block in the same place and this is what it shows

I don't know if you can tell but one of the bolt holes is only about half open and the other is basically misaligned. I tried both front blocks in this manner, flipping them over, flipping them backwards nothing gets them aligned. This is why I was wondering if its the correct block. If its the right block for the 31 S/W body, I'm gonna have to do some trimming of the block to get it to work or make my own.

Yes I know I'm going to need to do some serious metal work but I wanted to get some of these block worked out first in order to get the body/doors roughly aligned first, and get a basic mock up done.

Scott
Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
scl009

Any other opinions, I'm cutting them up this weekend if not! I hope thats the right answer.

Scott
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
dennisonk1957

I want to do something similar...any suggestions. Thanks. Kris